Trailer Welders Certification

/ Trailer Welders Certification #1  

gemini5362

Veteran Member
Tractor
Montana 4940C
In another thread a poster talked about modifying his bumper trailer to a fifth wheel. There was a lot of good advice about how to do it. Some of the problems associated with it. There was a lot of talk about legal issues of just welding it like that.

I am curious how many people have bought trailers from a trailer manufacturer and checked out the certification of the welder that made their trailer. Is it someone that was a graduate of the Tulsa School of Welding or someone that bought a welder and just started making trailers. We have a lot of money tied up in things we haul and yet I know that I for instance never checked anything on who did the welding on the one I bought.

/ Trailer Welders Certification #2  
Good point. I would think that if it is a trailer building facility, that the company would be sure that whoever was building the trailers was certified. Kind of like taking your car/vehicle to dealer for repairs, that whoever is working on it is somewhat knowledgeable mechanically. But as we know and have heard, not all are.

/ Trailer Welders Certification #3  
gemini5362 said:
In another thread a poster talked about modifying his bumper trailer to a fifth wheel. There was a lot of good advice about how to do it. Some of the problems associated with it. There was a lot of talk about legal issues of just welding it like that.

I am curious how many people have bought trailers from a trailer manufacturer and checked out the certification of the welder that made their trailer. Is it someone that was a graduate of the Tulsa School of Welding or someone that bought a welder and just started making trailers. We have a lot of money tied up in things we haul and yet I know that I for instance never checked anything on who did the welding on the one I bought.

Yea it's Joses school of welding here in Texas.

/ Trailer Welders Certification #4  
I doubt very seriously that you will find a certified welder at a trailer manufacturer. And if you do the truth be known that a welder can be certified by the the manufacturer in house.
Back in the early 80's I was contacted by an aircraft mechanic about welding an AD modification on a Piper twin engine airplane. I told the guy that I wasn't certified for this and he sent me a couple of pieces of 4130 tubing to gas weld and he tested them. He held FAA airframe inspector authorization and I did the welding. I also used to weld the exhaust stacks on PT-6 turbines for a crop duster operation without certification.
Certification isn't everything, I've known some ceritfied welders that laid some ratty looking beads. My dad held 13 certifications for experiemental welding on gas turbine engines, he taught me to weld when I was 10. He had to recertify before starting every shift.

/ Trailer Welders Certification #5  
Qualified and certified are two different words,you can be qualified and be certified by a company to a code[test done in accordance with a welding code,aws,asme,api],but still given by company.Or,[unless a client demands that the welders are tested to a specific code],the company can give any test it choses,right up a little cert. paper and say joe blow has taken the standard company test and we certify him to weld for us,,key word here is THEY certified him,so,that means they are responsible,,no matter how they did it,not the welder.
You can of course also be qualified and not certified by a company,or certified and not certified to the company you are now working for,bottom line is the company is responsible.
And there are many different types of certification tests,even if you do it to a welding code,,you can be certified in flat postion,fillit welds only,with stick rod,,,,you would not be certified for any other postion[up/down,vertical,overhead],you would not be certified for groove welds,and you would not be certified for mig or tig or fluxcore,,,it gets real complicated.
The certification test is supposed to equal the hardest weld the guy will make,using the same equipement he will be using on job.
When a company,or a welder,says they are certified it doesn't really mean much,unless you know the history of that certification.
An iron worker who welds for a living 20 stories up is 99.9 percent of time not certified[or qualified for that matter],to weld pipe.
I could have half the backyard welders who read this web page,pass A certification test,to a code,in half a day or a day,,and write up a certification paper up and they would indeed be certified,,,but would it mean much of anything to anybody other than him?,and would it make him a better welder?,,no,,,if he went off looking for a job,[and if it was done right],that paper may get him a test with the company he is wanting to work for,and thats about it,,,,take these department of state transportation tests most states have,,they are generally done right and all and yes the guy if he passes would be certified by that state to weld on postions and processes that the test represented,,but,he wouldn't be certified in probably any other state,,he wouldn't be certified to weld on pipelines,in power plants or anywhere else,,,unless,,,the new people hired him accepted that test,,by,,,recertifying him with them,,,thingy

/ Trailer Welders Certification #6  
thingy,
I agree, your post is correct and to the point!

/ Trailer Welders Certification #7  
I worked on Semi Trailers for almost 30 years and suppervised 3 shops (up to 15 mechanics) in two different states for large corporations. There is no certification required.
A trailer could get stopped at a DOT or state safety inspection and fail because of poor or improper welds.
A lawyer could get rich after the fact but that is another thread.

/ Trailer Welders Certification #8  
Welding certification is at best, Byzantine. Are you certified to weld high pressure stainless steel pipe carrying radioactive contents at a nuke power station? Are you certified to weld titanium on the hull of a submarine? Are you certified to weld corten steel overhead while standing on your head and gargling peanut butter?

Any idiot can weld 1/8 to 1/4 mild steel downhand with no instruction beyond a book with pictures, I'm proof. When it gets critical I hire an expert.

About trailer welding... We have a trailer manufacturer quite near to us. They start out the new guys on non-critical assemblies and if their work passes muster they move on to more responsibility. I have bought two of their trailers and have never seen a defect. Both were 12,000 gross with bumper hitches. They have a good reputation in the area and their trailers are exported to various areas of the country due to their quite reasonable prices. holttrailers.com

Ive see some of their larger trailers leaving behind a couple 1 ton Dodge/Cummins trucks with 3-4 trailers stacked on top of the one they were pulling.

Pat

/ Trailer Welders Certification #9  
Well,on to the good about welder certs.If you are building something that requires welding be done to a certain quality level,[which would be about anything I guess,and they got codes for everything,they got one for earth moving equipement I know,,not sure about trailers though,wouldn't be surprised if they didn't,but a company might not use it if not forced to by client,person buying whatever],,,anyways if you plan on making a bridge,power plant,refinorey,chemical plant,pipeline,,,that you are going to have to hire many welders,,you got to have something,someway,of making sure these guys can make welds to your min. requirements,,and thats how welding codes,procedures,and codes and specs came about,and for the most part it works pretty good.
For instance,if you are making a power plant or repairs on a power plant,government and states make you do it to certain codes,,so,you ain't got no choice in the united states,these codes tell you the min. requirements,,and they all say how your welders will be tested,,and how their welds will be tested after you certify them,,,than on top of that you have insurance companys,they have representatives there to make sure you do it that way,the states and federal government do to,,,so what I'm saying is,generally speaking now a days,,your average person who knows nothing about these things can pretty much rest assured that about all that could be done to make that pipline,power plant,refinoray,chemical plant,railroad,papermill,bridge,etc,safe was done,,,,accidents happen,,nothing is exact,,but for MOST things concerning this,,about all that can be done is being done,,generally speaking,,yeah,there are crooks in every profession,and sometimes I've seen things that were accepted that if I was king,would not have been,but it works pretty good,,,when the last time any one heard of a bridge falling down or a power plant blowing up or a sky scraper falling down on its own because of bad welds? Things wear out,and there are systems in place to even make this part,pretty much a non issue,,but all things are made by us humans and that means **** happens,,,

The most unsafe things are the little things,,they are sometimes over looked,,trailers might be one,,but like I said,I bet there is a code or spec that covers them,,,[just have never worked to it myself,the american welding society of miami fl. has codes on about every thing,they got a web site,somebody could look it up,,and I bet states and federal government address it somewhere],,but the little things sometimes get ignored because the powers are mainly concerned with the bigger things.
I'm not saying welder certifications are worthless,far from it,,what I'm saying is unless you know that that certification was done correctly and honestly and it applys to what the welder is now welding,etc,,,the fact that a guy is certified or a company says he is certified might not mean what your average person thinks it does,,,there is probably 1,001 different ways,[postions,processes,tests,consumables],that you can test a welder,,generally speakin,a pipe welder is your most skilled welders,,but even than there are so many different processs and materials,that one guy just can't have experience in all to the degree possible to make him really good on every thing.A good pipe welder will be making over 30 an hour,,sometimes well over,,,a good trailer welder/wire burner would be lucky to make 15 bucks an hour and that would be at a big shop,probably 80 percent of those type "welders" don't make much over min. wage,,so,,they ain't real concerned,,,thingy

/ Trailer Welders Certification
I have a question about trailers. This post was not started with this question in mind since I just bought the trailer today. I purchased a dump trailer today. I think the person I bought it from took a Heil 3 yard dump bed and mounted it on a trailer. It is a scissor lift single ram. I have not seen it work yet because there is no way to make the hydraulics work. From what little bit I have seen and know the hydraulic pump on dump trucks works off a small driveshaft that runs the pump. The trailer has the pump on it but obviously no driveshaft to run it. The guy I bought it from said I could use a starter motor to run it and that will probably be what I do if that will work. The question I have is that from the look i took at it I am not sure how you make the dump bed go up or down. At least as far as the hyraulics works. Do you have a valve that changes the direction and is it mechanically operated or electrical. I did not see the valve could it be located inside the hydraulic unit itself. Does any one know how they work. I am hoping that I did ok on the price. I did not measure the length of the trailer or the width I am getting my information from a metal tag on the bed saying it is a Heil 3 yard dump. It is an all steel bed bed and the tailgate lowers from the top or disengages from the bottom for dumping. I believe the trailer is a trailer that the seller had and he put the dump bed on it but I am not sure that is correct. The trailer is a single axle with tandem wheels. I noticed some rust on the ram itself so I am not sure if it can be cleaned up or if it is going to have to br replaced. I dont know if the hydraulics work since there was no way to test them. The lift mechanism is a scissor type lift. I gave 950.00 for it. I did not think that even if I was good enough to do the work that I could buy all the steel and the axle to make a trailer that size for 950.00 If anyone knows how the hydraulic system works and could elaborate on it I would really apreciate it.

Last edited: