18' wood deck vs. steel

/ 18' wood deck vs. steel #1  

Pacat

I just bough a used 18’ open pit car trailer. I wanted a full deck trailer but the thing is like new and I got a great deal on it. The runners (the area of the deck where the tires of the vehicle that is being hauled) is 3/16” steel diamond plate. I would like to convert this trailer to a full deck by filling in the center area with steel diamond plate to match the runners or I might use 2x10 pressure treated lumber. Any thoughts on which material to go with? The steel would cost around $500 vs. $125 for the pressure treated. Also the lumber would be about 200 pounds lighter.

/ 18' wood deck vs. steel #2  
I work at a trailer company, we use 3mm plate with holes punched into it where wheel locking bars can be quick attached.
3/16" is 4.7mm. I assume that is the height of the diamond, so the base plate would be 3mm thick ??

anyways, inbetween the runners, we use aluminium diamond plate of the same thickness. It weighs virtually nothing, and it isnt very strong either but who cares. Inbetween the runners, it's only loaded with the weight of a guy walking over it when he parks cars on the deck.

I dont know what load you want to put on the deck, but for small tandem trailers we use 18mm (about 3/4") waterproof plywood with an anti slip pattern rolled in. For stuff like small excavators, we mostly use 1" hardwood planks.
What do you mean by pressure treatd lumber ? just pines that are wolmanised or similar treatment ? that will rot within 3 years. Either water proof plywood or hardwood is suitable.