Brake controllers

/ Brake controllers #1  

GreatWhitehunter

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 110 TLB
(As a follow up to my post on Sunday) I'm looking at an electric brake controller. I've been reading everything I can find on the model and type I need. I searched old post on TBN and there was some good reading there. I
think that I need the Prodigy controller by tekonsha. I seems it's the best type (proportional) that I can find. And it appears the position mounting is not an issue with this model. Is anyone currently useing these units? Is there another type or brand I should be considering? I live in a moderatly hilly area so I want to get this right. I've used controllers in the past but they were the time delay type. So this will be my first proportional.

Matt T.:D

/ Brake controllers #2  
Here is my favorite:
Best Brake Controller

Works awesome! Just plain simple effective 100% proportional braking. No fancy electronics.

Just my opinion, It's worth what you paid for it!:D

/ Brake controllers #3  
If your up my way sometime,, just off I84 at exit 74, try mine, I have the tekonsha prodigy, and this is on the second Dodge truck. They work very well and I have had no issues. As you may know, Bigelow Hollow on 197 has two hills at 27%, and here, is where the prodigy really shines..

/ Brake controllers #4  
I also have the prodigy and have been very happy with it. :)

/ Brake controllers #5  
JDGREEN4ME said:
I also have the prodigy and have been very happy with it. :)

I think you know this already from previous threads, but I have the prodigy and LOVE it. I was pulling the horses home with it last night and decided the trailer needed more breaking... reached down and bumped the dial just a bit rolling down the road.... next stop sign.. perfect.:)

/ Brake controllers #6  
I have a Jordan controller. It's the only one I've ever used, so I nothing to compare it to. I like it, and it works well on either trailer I pull. JC

/ Brake controllers #7  
I've had a Tekonsha prodigy since 2002 and works great towing light or heavy. In all weather rain sleet ice snow or clear & dry. Left it hooked up for weeks at a time & does not discharge truck batteries.

Attachments

• dozer 1st home light.jpg
    dozer 1st home light.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 299
   / Brake controllers #8  
I have used timed and the Jordan controllers, I like the Jordan mainly because it shows amperage draw instead of voltage ouput and if you have a bad magnet, open in wiring you will know it by the amperage draw, it is good for troubleshooting.
The Prodigy is plug and play, the Jordan is more difficult to install. Both have good reputations.

/ Brake controllers #9  
In my case I doubt the Jordan controller would work. The brake pedal only has a 1/4" movement from start to finish.
I use a Tekonsha controller. Don't recall the model. But it works fine. I also use it in another vehicle. Put a plug on the wires so it could be moved from car to car without wiring hassels.

/ Brake controllers #10  
I have a Reese Electronic controler that I got at Wally World 7 years ago for under $60.. I am very happy with it. I can set the brake pressure and amount of delay. Also can set the brakes manually with push button.
I was in Orlando 4 years ago with 1/2 ton Chevy, 1500lb in the truck and 4000lb on my 12' trailer. Four cars shoot past me, cut in front of me and slam on their brakes for a light. I managed to stop without hitting them. I love those trailer brakes!
Don't even consider the old style controlers that connected to the brakes hydraulicly. There is no need to go to that much trouble anymore.