opinions on TOYOTA TUNDRA for my towing needs

/ opinions on TOYOTA TUNDRA for my towing needs #1  

escavader

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx-23 ,
Gonna by myself a new buggy.My KUBOTA and my TANDEM is under 5000 and i haul with my JEEP,NO problem.My family are diehard atvers and im heming and hawing over whether to by another mid size suv[I like the TOYOTA H7tows 5000lbs.]or a club cab TUNDRA.with the truck i could haul the family plus all 4 atvs.With another suv i can use my jeep for 2 on the tandom and use my new one to haul 2 on the atv trailer.I guess the TRUCK makes better sense now i put on paper.Whos got a TUNDRA,what issues have you had,do you like it,would you reccomend,do you haul HEAVY LOADS WITH IT ETC?I do like FORDS too,but the tv commercials for the TOYOTA are really sucking me in.:D :D :D Nice calm thread please:eek:
ALAN

/ opinions on TOYOTA TUNDRA for my towing needs #2  
I don't know anyone who bought a new Tundra but their TV ads say they will haul up to 10K so your 5K load should be no problem. Also don't know what kind of economy you would see with one.
I went with a 3/4T Duramax diesel in 05. It cost quite a bit more than a gas 3/4T but I'm happy with the better fuel economy over gas and greater hauling capacity and longevity of a diesel.

/ opinions on TOYOTA TUNDRA for my towing needs #3  
From what I've read about the new Tundra's, they're very good for towing, lots of power, comfort and just about anything else.

Check out Edmunds.com for a comparison of a Silverado/Tundra/Titan.

They're all about equal when it comes to towing.

/ opinions on TOYOTA TUNDRA for my towing needs #4  
Have not seen any on the road around here yet. You might be the first we hear from; let us know if you drive or buy one;)

/ opinions on TOYOTA TUNDRA for my towing needs #5  
Isn't the new Tundra just a 3/4 ton truck with 1/2 ton labels so it will ***** the other 1/2 tons? From watching the commercials that seems to be what they are pushing (higher towing and braking). But I guess they have to do what they can to gain market share.

As for buying a crew cab 1/2 ton pickup and pulling a trailer test drive one first and take it to Wal-Mart or some other busy parking lot. The long wheel base makes it a lot of fun to park these trucks in the small parking spaces without pulling a trailer. Put a trailer behind it and it becomes fun navigating in tight places and around towns. They are handy but just be aware that you will have to park at the back of most parking lots if you go with a full size crew cab truck.

/ opinions on TOYOTA TUNDRA for my towing needs #6  
The back of the new Tundra crew cab still feels to small. My crew (two sons) said they did not feel they had as much room in the back of the new Tundra as they do in the back of the Chevy or Ford crew cabs. The rear seat of a Dodge Mega cab is a whole different story, they're huge.

/ opinions on TOYOTA TUNDRA for my towing needs #7  
If the 2007 Tundras are anything like the older ones as far as quality of ride, quiet, good smooth and responsive engine then I would buy one in a second. I have a 2002 Tundra with the V8 engine, always had Fords before and I would never go back. All I tow with it is a bass boat and no problems there but the new ones with the 380 hp engines should be towing beasts. Another thing to consider is resale value, the Toyota Tundras really hold their value.
There is a good review in the last Progressive Farming magazine about the Tundras and what Toyota is doing to promote them.

/ opinions on TOYOTA TUNDRA for my towing needs #8  
My dad has one of the early Tundras, I think it was 2001... V8, 4wd, extended cab. It has been just fine overall, but the gas mileage isn't much better than a 1/2 ton Chevy, and he has had a few issues. The 2007+ Tundra is really a different trucks so I don't know what to expect with it.

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500/Cummins and am extremely happy with it. Probably bigger than what you need. Only comment is that in both the 1/2 and 3/4 ton models, if you have four people in the cab then your rated payload is going to drop to 1000 lbs or less (unless you're all skinny).

/ opinions on TOYOTA TUNDRA for my towing needs #9  
We just ordered a "new style" 07 tundra; 5.7L, 6 speed tow/haul auto trans, 381 HP/401FP torque, 4wd.

we ordered the "double cab" version, which is NOT a full crew-cab configuration. It is bigger than an extended cab, but smaller than a full crew cab. The full size crew cab is titled the "Crew Max".

The three versions are the standard cab (which is like a small extended cab),
the double cab (4 doors and bigger than an extended cab, but smaller than a full crew cab), and the Crew Max, a full crew cab.

/ opinions on TOYOTA TUNDRA for my towing needs #10  
i have a 03 extend a cab and i tow my tc30 with a backhoe with no problem the only weakness i see with mine is a beefier rear suspension is needed. 50 k and no problems. i would buy another. the only problem with 07 models is the price they wont really budge on the price cause not many around yet. good luck