I need help chaining down the tractor

/ I need help chaining down the tractor #1  

RPK

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130 Cub Cadet 1554
Thanks for all the help on my previoues post(s). I haven't bought the trailer yet but I need advise on the proper, legal and safe way to chain my tractor
(3130/LA723/BH90) to the trailer. Is it ok to run a chain around the brush guard at the front? At the rear the only place appears to be through the bottom of the backhoe? I think I need to separately chain the BH bucket? Does the front bucket need to be chained down also? Thanks for the help

RPK

/ I need help chaining down the tractor #2  
Generally, you should have one chain at each corner of the tractor. The BH and bucket also should have a chain. How the load is secured may depend on the weight of the tractor as well since DMV / DOT laws vary if the tractor is under or over 10K. I've seen many in my area only chain the tractor and not the BH or bucket. It's all a matter of whether you get caught or not.

It is OK to run the chain around the brush guard as long as its attached to the tractor frame. I don't have a BH but have added two grab hooks to my 3 PT. arms for chains to attach to. Others have used a clevis to attach a chain to the drawbar.
My opinion is the more chains securing the load the better off and safer for you and everyone else.

/ I need help chaining down the tractor #3  
Secure your chains as if you are pulling your equipment apart. Picture your front chain point on the tractor as being the center of the hands on a clock. The chain should be pointing downwards to roughly 6 or 7 o'clock. The rear would be 4 or 5 o'clock.

Next, you want the chains to angle outwards from the tractor towards the trailer sides.

This satisfies the requirment against forward, backwards or lateral movement.

Sometimes it is difficult to get the angle you want to achieve due to the tires being in the way. To the best of my knowledge, you can "crosstie" as needed. By that, I mean to run a chain from the left side towards the right side of your trailer.

You can purchase leather sleeves to cover the chain to minimize paint damage when going over the axles for example. I would forgo the brush guard for the frame or axle.

I would not worry to much about the front end loader bucket being chained but a backhoe bucket or any three point attachement should be. A single chain should suffice.

Chain hooks should aways be inside of the rubrail if your trailer has them. Hooks should also go through the stake pockets if your trailer has them also. The chain may be fed through the center of a pocket or down either side but then come up through and hang on the pocket.

That way, if the chain slacks, the hook will not fall away from the trailer.

With "D" rings, I like to tension the chain with a bungees. That will keep the hook intact should the machine flex while moving.

/ I need help chaining down the tractor #4  
I use grade 70 transport chain, 4 for the tractor, one on each corner. As previously stated, there is also supposed to be a chain for the bucket and another chain for the backhoe. I use ratchet binders instead of lever binders, I prefer them. I've heard that lever binders are no longer approved, but they still make them and sell them so they must be. I just don't like the fact that lever binders can pop open.

AW Direct is one of the better sources for chain. I have the chain pictured below with the hook on one end and mult-hooks on the other end. It makes things very easy to tie down.

Attachments

• pab-717.jpg
    pab-717.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 1,069
  • 153141230725_3300.jpg
    153141230725_3300.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 1,059
  • 153142067461_3300.jpg
    153142067461_3300.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 993
   / I need help chaining down the tractor #5  
Bob; they make lever binders with a way to put a carobiner to saftey them from popping open, I have them and they seem to work just fine. Here is a picture of what they look like.TrucknTow - Dixiloc Locking Handle Load Binder

/ I need help chaining down the tractor #6  
wushaw said:
Bob; they make lever binders with a way to put a carobiner to saftey them from popping open
That is a great design, it certainly stops the problem of them popping open. I know people who have the traditional style and use duct tape around them to keep them secure. The price at that website you linked is also a good one.

/ I need help chaining down the tractor #7  
Bob_Skurka said:
I know people who have the traditional style and use duct tape around them to keep them secure.

I pull all the slack in my chain to the center, then wrap the chain slack around the binded. Keeps them from popping.

/ I need help chaining down the tractor #8  
I've never owned/chained any vehicle before, so....

I attach a clevis hook to grade 70 transport chain, and attach it to a loadbinder. The loadbinder is attached to more chain. This chain is wrapped around the tractor axle. Are those standard j-hooks meant to then attach back into the chain link itself, inserting the j-hook tip inside a link?

I see the words grab hook, sling hook, and slip hook used. Are the grab hooks meant to attach back onto the chain itself?

/ I need help chaining down the tractor #9  
The grab hooks have the narrower opening and are meant to latch into a chain.

The slip hook looks like Captain Hooks, hook, and does not "lock" onto what it is hooked on.

I do not know what a sling hook is, unless someone is referring to a slip hook with a safety catch on it?

/ I need help chaining down the tractor #10  
I know people who have the traditional style and use duct tape around them to keep them secure

I really prefer my ratchet binders but when I do use my lever binders, if I can't wrap the chain around them I wrap a bungie cord around. I watched a guy at the dealer tie a tractor down to a flat bed and he had some pieces of baleing wire that he twisted around the handle.

Chris