Trailer tie downs

/ Trailer tie downs #1  

planman8

Tractor
2006 JD 2305
I just purchased a new trailer to move my jd 2305, but it does'nt have anyplace to tie the tractor down. It has mesh sides. Should I get some D-rings and install them on the floor of the trailer bed ? If so, how many should I get ? Where is a good source to get them. I think they should be rated for +- 2000 lbs. Should the D-rings be recessed in the floor, or surface mounted. It would be hard to weld them on the sides because they are mesh as I said. Is there anything better than D-rings ? What do you guys use ?
Thanks, planman:confused:

/ Trailer tie downs #2  
You did not mention if your trailer has a wood or metal floor but D-rings can be bought at TSC stores, Northern Tool, HF, and even some local hardware stores, etc. If bolting to the floor you should try to mount them on the trailer in such a way that the mount bolts will be over a crossmember or at least use a steel backing plate on the bottom. D-rings just bolted to a wood floor will eventually pull through without a plate underneath. Does your trailer have side pockets for 2x4's? If so you can use them to secure the tractor. Is the trailer rated to haul your tractor. It should have brakes as well.

/ Trailer tie downs #3  
I welded some short lengths of chain onto my trailer sides. This gives me a convienent way to grab with either a binder or another chain.

Quick, easy and effective.

I also have stake pockets and a tie rail.

/ Trailer tie downs
Thanks guys.
My trailer has a wood floor so I will use a backer plate and bolt it there.
planman

/ Trailer tie downs #5  
planman8 said:
Thanks guys.
My trailer has a wood floor so I will use a backer plate and bolt it there.
planman

I hope that you mean that the "backer plates" will be welded to the frame. The wood floor itself isn't an acceptable attachment point for a tiedown.

/ Trailer tie downs #6  
Position the D rings over the crossmembers that the floor is screwed to, and drill/bolt through the wood and crosmember. Bolting to just the wood even with a backing plate is useless because the wood is just held to the crossmembers with small self-tapping screws.

/ Trailer tie downs #7  
kennyd said:
Position the D rings over the crossmembers that the floor is screwed to, and drill/bolt through the wood and crosmember. Bolting to just the wood even with a backing plate is useless because the wood is just held to the crossmembers with small self-tapping screws.
True that. I found where I needed to place the D-rings, went under and welded angle to the trailer frame (as a cross-piece) then bolted to that, as stated above. Flooring will not secure a load.

While I'm here, I'll tell anyone that reads, if you have ever had an accident with a load, you can only then realize that a load will move beyond one's false sense of security. I lost a boat off of a trailer several years back. Short of the long is that the boat defeated all tie-down features that the trailer offered. It was unreal to see that thing come off the trailer in a rear-view mirror and to hear the sound. :eek:

Tie it to the wood floor is you please, but it's all about the risk that one is willing to take. Been there. Pics available.... :)

/ Trailer tie downs
Good point Kennyd. I will go through the cross members.