opinion of Carry-On trailers

/ opinion of Carry-On trailers #1  

GaryS

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3901 & LA525
I've been looking for a used utility trailer but have not had any luck. I've started looking at new trailers. A local place has Carry-On trailers and I was quoted ~$1200 for this trailer.

Any opinions of Carry-on or the price?

/ opinion of Carry-On trailers #2  
Sounds reasonable to me..... i looked at a similar trailer here and it was priced at $1800.

/ opinion of Carry-On trailers #3  
Local Home Depot, Gander Mountain, and TSC stores have similar trailers. Don't know their prices but have seen the trailers.

/ opinion of Carry-On trailers #4  
I looked at a Carry-on trailer about a month ago.Not to buy,i was just wasting time waiting for the woman who was at the mall.By habit whenever i look at something that is basically a welded assembly,i always check out the welds,mostly because thats what i do for a living.
Anyway,the first trailer i looked at looked good,even the welds.But the second and third,the welds were terrible.Lots of porosity.Real bad.Not to say they are all like this,but it is a good place to start looking at the quality
of a trailer.Maybe it was a new guy with his first day on the job.
But nobody should have to pay for inferior craftsmanship.The design looked good and seemed like a good compromise between weight and strength
for the trailers intended use.But the welding quality didnt impress me.
Of course,this could be a isolated case.Pricewise $1200 doesnt seem too bad for that unit.
Three years ago i was looking for a used 16' tandem trailer to haul my tractor on,could'nt find one anywhere.So i bought new.Would'nt you know it 2 days later i found 3 used ones for sale.Maybe you could wait just a little longer and get a good deal on a used one unless you are in a hurry.
DIGGER2

/ opinion of Carry-On trailers
thanks for the comments. I didn't know these were the same ones offered by TSC & Home Depot.

Who makes the best trailers? Is there a "big three" of trailers?

I need to trust the brand because I couldn't tell a good weld from a bad one!

/ opinion of Carry-On trailers #6  
garyS
hey i dont know if they have any big pawn shops in your area but tonight i went by one that had about 15 used utility trailers, also look on craigs list there is always some on there in my area. that seems like a big chunk of change for not much trailer to me. i helped my frinds wife pick up his christmas trailer last year and he got a 10 foot utility trailer with full size tires and fold down ramp brand new for 800.00. awsome trailer he overloads it every chance he gets i swear. look at some places besides box stores of any kind, IMO they are at least double what you can buy one for at a trailer place. it may be different where you live but around here the only people that buy trailers from box stores are the ones that need financing.
just what ive seen who knows what you see

/ opinion of Carry-On trailers #7  
its me again,lol
i went to 3 trailer places today because im looking into upgrading mine so while i was there i asked about the price on the same utility trailer for you.
down here a 5x10 single axel with mesh gate is anywhere from 650-850.
the 20' goose im looking at is about 3400.00

good luck man

/ opinion of Carry-On trailers
I've been checking the pennysaver and craigslist and think I'll just keep doing that. I know that I'll come across a deal the week after I buy a new one.

If these were good trailers and the price wasn't off by a lot, I'd get the new one. But it looks like these are nothing special and neither is the price.

thanks for the info.

/ opinion of Carry-On trailers #9  
I've been looking for a used utility trailer but have not had any luck. I've started looking at new trailers. A local place has Carry-On trailers and I was quoted ~$1200 for this trailer.

Any opinions of Carry-on or the price?
I bought one of these trailers 10/2023 and 2 welds on it broke loose the first time using it 2 weeks later loading my Mule Pro MX. The welds were small and defective. I opened a warranty claim with Carry-On. They denied it saying I overloaded the ramp and the allowable weight for loading was half the trailer capacity so 1046 pounds….obvious nonsense. So you’re buying a trailer that holds over a ton and can only load ½ ton? They could not produce any documentation that stated that when asked. They lied to me and then tortured me for a week after their arbitrary denial for a simple repair of defective workmanship. Research the complaints on the web across the nation and you’ll realize it doesn’t matter what the problem is. They blame shift, dodge and lie. They will not honor their warranty

/ opinion of Carry-On trailers #10  
It's been quite awhile since I bought my first trailer. At the time I was borrowing one from a guy I knew, and when he wanted it back, I felt that I really needed to have one of my own. I started out looking at used ones with the thought that I would save some money, but everyone that I looked at was in horrible shape, or priced like it was brand new. Eventually I went to a company that made their own trailers and bought it brand new for less then some of the used ones I had looked at. Since then, I've inherited a bunch of trailers that I should probably sell, but haven't gotten around to changing the title on them to my name yet. I think I have 6 trailers now, it's really kind of ridiculous.