Transport of Equipment in Dump Trailers

/ Transport of Equipment in Dump Trailers #1  

Dougster

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 Mahindra 4110 w/509 BH
I keep hearing stories and rumors that there are specific DOT rules and/or restrictions regarding the transport of equipment... skid-loaders, tractors, etc... in dump trailers... but I can't seem to find them. Can anyone point me at those specific "dump trailer" rules? It sure would be nice to have an alternate means of moving my tractor and FEL... with or without BH attached... to and from jobs. But folks are telling me that this is pretty much forbidden now by some "new rules." :confused: I would sure like to see those new rules in writing before pulling the trigger on my dump trailer purchase next week. If transport of my tractor is forbidden in a 14-ft or 16-ft dump trailer because my FEL bucket and/or BH bucket might be chained "outside the box", I may as well punt and go down in size to a shorter trailer (10-ft or 12-ft), albeit with similar axle ratings, simply for ease of manuvering & storage.

Dougster

/ Transport of Equipment in Dump Trailers #2  
Dougster, I don't know about the rules but I live in taxsonville, Florida and I have been seeing lots of equipment in dump trailers?
:)

/ Transport of Equipment in Dump Trailers
MrJimi said:
Dougster, I don't know about the rules but I live in taxsonville, Florida and I have been seeing lots of equipment in dump trailers?
:)
Taxsonville, Florida? Funny coincidence. I live in TaxedToDeath, Massachusetts!!! :D

I was down in your neck of the woods for the 2004 and 2005 hurricane cleanup efforts. In fact, one of my jobs was measuring & certifying dump trailers... often with the contractors equipment still inside! :) I know this practice is common... but depending on what length trailer I get, my FEL bucket or BH bucket might have to rest off the front wall or back doors. This is where I'm being told that the enforcement folks will nail me even with the offending bucket all chained up and red flagged. If true, I'd like to save some money by dropping the backup transport idea and going to a somewhat shorter trailer.

Dougster

/ Transport of Equipment in Dump Trailers #4  
I think I would call or if it was me I would e-mail the state enforcement folks and ask the specific question.

At some point, it will be up to the guy standing behind your trailer with a blue light and a gun telling you what "he" thinks the rules are, and you can win in court, but it will still be a pain.

I think an e-mail with a description of the load and your question would go a long way towards answering any questions the officer has though.

I certainly know an awful lot of them are designed, built and marketed with just that in mind.

My Dump is a deck over though, and I still feel it is too low when dumping at times, I cannot imagine trying to use one of the low riding dumpers as a dump.

/ Transport of Equipment in Dump Trailers #5  
Call or email your State Highway Patrol/Trooper's office. Probably ask for the commercial division.

I had questions about towing out here. I went to the CHP web site, where they had contact links. Emailed them, and got a prompt answer with the info I needed. I have phoned the local office before too. In each case, they were very polite and helpful.

AlanB said:
I think I would call or if it was me I would e-mail the state enforcement folks and ask the specific question. At some point, it will be up to the guy standing behind your trailer with a blue light and a gun telling you what "he" thinks the rules are, and you can win in court, but it will still be a pain. I think an e-mail with a description of the load and your question would go a long way towards answering any questions the officer has though. I certainly know an awful lot of them are designed, built and marketed with just that in mind. My Dump is a deck over though, and I still feel it is too low when dumping at times, I cannot imagine trying to use one of the low riding dumpers as a dump.
Hi Alan - The Massachusetts state police enforcement guys know me so well they say "Hello Dougster" when they pick up the phone. I must be on their caller ID... or maybe the secretary just knows my voice by now! :) But unlike all past calls, I've been unable to locate and study the regs in question before calling. Usually, I am calling about Mass state interpretation. I'd hate to call them up asking what the applicable DOT regs are or where to find them! While reasonably polite to me so far, I can tell they've got little patience and no sense of humor. :( Also, I don't believe they are big into answering emails. Except for my state rep, all of my e-mails to state officials lately have been uniformly ignored. :(

The debate of low-boy vs. deck-over has been covered in past threads so I won't start another here. Suffice to say that I have no choice as my dump trailer will likely have to be stored in my garage below a 4-post car lift. Think: Low-boy! :D Yes, another residential zoning bylaw and the only way I can possibly meet it. :rolleyes: Good or bad, regardless of length, a low-boy it will be! :eek:

Dougster

RobertN said:
Call or email your State Highway Patrol/Trooper's office. Probably ask for the commercial division. I had questions about towing out here. I went to the CHP web site, where they had contact links. Emailed them, and got a prompt answer with the info I needed. I have phoned the local office before too. In each case, they were very polite and helpful.
Yep... I believe in going right to the source as well. But it's often best to ask here first. Lots of very smart folks here who can usually point me in the right direction on stuff like this. As stated above, I'd really like to review any DOT regs applicable to these dump trailers before I call the man.:)

Dougster

/ Transport of Equipment in Dump Trailers #8  
Just a thought, but have you rented one before you buy to make sure it will do what you are expecting it too?

AlanB said:
Just a thought, but have you rented one before you buy to make sure it will do what you are expecting it too?
Nope... no rentals available like that around here. If there were dump trailer rentals available around here, I wouldn't be buying!!! :D I'd rent to avoid the storage/legal problem. Anyway... not a bad idea, but no I haven't.

This whole larger trailer idea may be collapsing anyway. More and more it is appearing like the dump trailer will need to be stored in the garage under a car lift every night. To avoid having to turn the car lift sideways... which I can do, it has wheels and I can make the space... the trailer can be no more than 96 inches wide... and even that is crazy tight! Those larger trailers I'm looking at are all 100 to 102 inches wide. :rolleyes:

I'd still like to find those supposed "new rules"... but the "fit under lift" thing appears to be making width become the new dump trailer's defining criteria.

Dougster

/ Transport of Equipment in Dump Trailers #10  
Have you thought about an equipment yard somewhere?

Someone out of your line of work, that would let you store your stuff on their place for keeping up with their maintanance etc?

When I had to move off our storage yard, the guys next door offered me that type of deal, would have maybe taken it but found a house with some land instead.