4 wheel drive or 2 wheel with locking dif

/ 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel with locking dif #1  

HighLoader

Tractor
New Holland TC40DA, Kubota K008-3 excavator
I am looking at the 07 Chevy 2500HD, ext cab long bed, with the Duramax and Allison Trans. I am stuck on wheather to get 4 wheel drive or just 2 wheel drive with the locking differencial. I will not be towing very often, maybe 3 or 4 times a year. I will be towing a three horse trailer with horses that weighs about 7300lbs and sometimes a travel trailer that is 8700lbs dry and maybe 10,200 loaded. I live 5 miles back on a dirt road. I will be towing from southern California to northern Navada and back. It is about 12 hours one way. Is there a big advantage to having 4 wheel drive? Is 4wd a rougher ride than 2wd in an 07 Chevy? I would hate to get stuck in the mud or snow pulling three hungery horses. I have heard good things about the Chevy rear locking dif....is it enough to keep me out of trouble??? What do you think and what would you do???

Thanks, Brian

/ 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel with locking dif #2  
HighLoader said:
Is there a big advantage to having 4 wheel drive?
'Big' is a subjective term. 4wd will get you out of trouble easier than 2wd. However, 4wd is not a 'cure all'. 4wd might tempt you to get into situations you shouldn't.

HighLoader said:
Is 4wd a rougher ride than 2wd in an 07 Chevy?
No.

HighLoader said:
I would hate to get stuck in the mud or snow pulling three hungery horses.
This why we have a 4wd Chevy K1500. We've taken the horses (3), in our GN trailer plenty of places, some of which you wouldn't think would present traction problems. For example, a gently rolling grass pasture. We had to stop going up a slight incline to allow someone else to park. We went to move, and the rear wheels spun. Popped it into 4wd, and off we went.

HighLoader said:
I have heard good things about the Chevy rear locking dif....is it enough to keep me out of trouble???
IMO, no. We have a limited slip, which is not the same as a locking diff, neither are as good as 4wd.

HighLoader said:
What do you think and what would you do???
If you can afford it, I'd get 4wd.

/ 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel with locking dif #3  
Bear in mind, you'll be looking at a single axle drive with limit slip diff. or a two axle drive with limited slip diff. Unless you install a locking gear in each housing, you'll never see a true 4 wheel drive.

Personally, I'd anty up for the two axle drive. At that point of money, it's becomes a moot point. I have a two axle drive Duramax / Allison.

With that said, there are several different setups within the new 07s that you may want to look at. Different diesel engine options (HP) and different transmission options (5 speed / 6 speed).

PM me if you'd like a link to a very informative Duramax discussion forum. Then you can know you've done a thorough research. Those guys know a lot.

Now with all of that said, personally I'd go with a crew cab. No need to say a lot to try and convince you, but they are very convenient. I like the crews...However, I miss the long bed from my previous truck.

(click on the thumb image)

Last edited:
   / 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel with locking dif #4  
4wd, even when not engaged, will cause a slightly higer fuel consumption on the highway due to more moving parts.
a limited slip differential doesnt give 100% lockup in dirty conditions, but doesnt consume much power on highway speeds either.
For most conditions, the limited slip will give you more wheel torque distribution than a set of wheels can convert into traction. So no additional benefit for the fully locking diff unless you have rough profiled offroad tires.

If i was you, i'd look at either 2wd with limited slip if you're doing a lot of traveling, and 4wd if you can afford it, do lots of offroading and little highway travel.

/ 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel with locking dif #5  
HighLoader said:
I am looking at the 07 Chevy 2500HD, ext cab long bed, with the Duramax and Allison Trans. I am stuck on wheather to get 4 wheel drive or just 2 wheel drive with the locking differencial. I will not be towing very often, maybe 3 or 4 times a year. I will be towing a three horse trailer with horses that weighs about 7300lbs and sometimes a travel trailer that is 8700lbs dry and maybe 10,200 loaded. I live 5 miles back on a dirt road. I will be towing from southern California to northern Navada and back. It is about 12 hours one way. Is there a big advantage to having 4 wheel drive? Is 4wd a rougher ride than 2wd in an 07 Chevy? I would hate to get stuck in the mud or snow pulling three hungery horses. I have heard good things about the Chevy rear locking dif....is it enough to keep me out of trouble??? What do you think and what would you do???

Thanks, Brian

Brian,

I just got my 3500HD 4x4. It comes satndard with a locking differential. I my book, it's an excellent unit. First off, it's not a limited slip. Ford units are limited slip. My Ford only works sometimes. When it does, clutch packs engage so that the wheel that's spinning locks up with the stuck wheel and helps get you unstuck. The power transfer is slower, the clutch packs slip somewhat, so you lose power transfer.

In the GM HD's, the rear locker is a true locker. It mechanically locks the spinning axle side to the non-spinning side to get you unstuck. There's no clutch packs to wear out and the power transfer loses very little since there's no clutches to slip.

I have already experienced how much better the Gm unit works than the ford unit. I got my front tires off the pavement in a culvert, but my back tires were still on wet pavement. I put my GMC in reverse. At first, the rear tire spun, maybe a 1/2 revolution, then with a distinctive "thuk", the other rear tire locked-up and very quickly pulled me backwards.

In similar situatuations, my Ford L/S would not work as well. In fact, after about 50K on my Ford, the L/S is pretty well shot.

So the GM locking rear works very well, if all you require is 2WD. All that said, I wouldn't buy a truck without 4WD, it's worth every penny and it brings you better resale value since, too.

I think you'd be happier and more relaxed with it knowing you can get across wet fields than "white knuckling" with a 2WD.

/ 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel with locking dif #6  
L39Builder said:
Brian,

I just got my 3500HD 4x4. It comes satndard with a locking differential. I my book, it's an excellent unit. First off, it's not a limited slip. Ford units are limited slip. My Ford only works sometimes. When it does, clutch packs engage so that the wheel that's spinning locks up with the stuck wheel and helps get you unstuck. The power transfer is slower, the clutch packs slip somewhat, so you lose power transfer.

In the GM HD's, the rear locker is a true locker. It mechanically locks the spinning axle side to the non-spinning side to get you unstuck. There's no clutch packs to wear out and the power transfer loses very little since there's no clutches to slip.

I have already experienced how much better the Gm unit works than the ford unit.
I can agree to a point, Some mechanism has to engage or disengage the differential from a single wheel to a two wheel drive (on the rear axle). If it's a locker, it will stay in place or it has to have some other means of engagement / disengagement.

I do hear what you're saying and my ignorance may show a bit here, but there's a slip mechanism here somewhere.

I'll do a little eduMacating to myself later today.

However you do make a great point.... "how much better the Gm unit works than the ford unit." :D

/ 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel with locking dif #7  
L39Builder said:
At first, the rear tire spun, maybe a 1/2 revolution, then with a distinctive "thuk", the other rear tire locked-up and very quickly pulled me backwards.

Have you experienced these "thuk" 's when just going down the road, in corners ? From the Volvo 240 racing scene, people complain about "thuk"s with self locking diffs in corners, with +300hp racing bricks. These came facory fitted with a Dana 30 rear end, the same as used in some Jeep models.

/ 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel with locking dif #8  
Renze said:
Have you experienced these "thuk" 's when just going down the road, in corners ? From the Volvo 240 racing scene, people complain about "thuk"s with self locking diffs in corners, with +300hp racing bricks. These came facory fitted with a Dana 30 rear end, the same as used in some Jeep models.

Nope, quiet as a church mouse around corners.

I had a Detroit Tru-Trac "soft locker" in a Ford dump truck and it was the best. Locked-up tight when one wheel spins, but did it smoothly with a light "thuk". No noise on turns like a standard Detroit locker. The GM HD rear feels very similar to that.

/ 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel with locking dif #9  
There is no limited slip in a GM g80 semi locking rear axel. It works on weights and if one wheel exceeds the other by a given amount it positevely locks up. No clutches at all.

The Eaton G-80 uses a centrifugal locking/unlocking mechanism that activates on one rear wheel spinning at only 100+ rpm than the other, but limited to 20 mph. It’s completely mechanical, and foolproof, to the point that Lexus could advertise it as the next invention of the wheel. We need to advertise this test, and the G80 at the same level, and we need to advertise that we’ve made it standard on Z-71’s since practically the beginning of time.

Since the G80 uses a physical/mechanical locking of the rear axle shafts, owners will not encounter the wear symptoms associated with friction-based limited-slips.

/ 4 wheel drive or 2 wheel with locking dif #10  
long ago in rear diff class they had this cool vid.
1st truck - open diff
2nd truck -limited slip
3rd truck -locking diff
these were all 80's model trucks so thats how old the vid was but the facts are the same from then to now. they had a wet ramp that the trucks had to climb up from a dead stop.
1st truck pulled up the ramp until the rear tires made contact then it just had the 1 wheel squeel and didnt go up it at all
2nd truck pulled up about half way then the speed of the tires disengaged the limited slip due to rpm's at the tire (something like 2800) the limited slip "unlocks" at that speed
3rd the locker- had to stop at the top of the ramp, drove right up it no problem tires spun the entire way up.

im not aware of gm offering anything but either an open or locked rear diff in trucks since 92. i have seen the limited slip in trans am's and z28's but never in a truck.
like was said g80 is a locking rear diff that does not unlock until you stop the truck. bad thing about a locker in a 2 wheel drive is it tends to put you sideways on a slippery surface. if you have a locker and 4x4 then the most you can hope for is 3 wheel drive because gm does not put lockers in the front diff. as for the wheel hop in a corner with a locker ive seen it, this happens when you dont service your rear diff and things get sticky.

i will never own a 2 wheel drive truck again, love the insurence of the 4x4 and i have not noticed any decrese in mpg.
rides smooth and drives great.