Comparison TYM REASSURANCE FOR NEWBIE

/ TYM REASSURANCE FOR NEWBIE #1  

MKIHALL

Tractor
'71 JD 110, '09 Craftsman LT3000
ok, I looked at the TYM from two dealers this week as well as the LS, T233/273 and j2020 and 2030....
TYM seemed much better than LS on a number of issues including fluid cooling fan vs. chiller, 4wd linkage to front axle, etc.
However It seemed to me (a newbie) that the TYM had some vibration I wouldn't have expected, those of you reading that have or had TYM tractors as well as others, do you find there to be more vibration at idle on these or is this maybe just cold/new engine?
I have read some posts here talking bout loosening bolts and overtorqued frames and wonder if their is some basic engineering flaw here or just too much negativity on the new kid on the block.

I have still to close up inspect the BX24, JD 10xx/2320, GC2410, Kioti/Bobcat, or Mahindra, but specs on paper seem to give TYM an advantage, without price/dealer being considered....my wife drives a KIA and its awesome (esp for the money) + all the "US" companies are foreign anyway.

FYI: I don't need to mow, just need a lot of landscaping/drainage/BH/wall building work to be done on 1-1/2 acres on lee side of sorta steep hill.

So if you TYM owners care to offer any reassurance/anectdotes/cautionary tales to an enthusiastic newbie, that'd b great:thumbsup:

/ TYM REASSURANCE FOR NEWBIE #2  
I have had a T353HST since August and have not noticed any vibrations. Although it is my first tractor everything seems to operate as expected. Like you I looked at Deere, Kubota and Kioti before selecting the TYM. I have 10 acres of timber and I skid a lot of logs as well as using the front forks to move 6-8 foot logs around. I also use it with a 3 pt snow blower to keep the driveway and my share of the road open during the winter. The TYM with loaded rear tires stays stable and does everything I ask of it. I'm happy! :thumbsup:

/ TYM REASSURANCE FOR NEWBIE #3  
I have a T273 (2008) that has done all I've asked of it. I did have some early problems with broken muffler and fuel bulb mounts (broke due to vibration), but TYM has supposedly fixed these issues on newer models, and replaced both under warranty. TYM's 5yr warranty is awesome and basically set industry standard. Like any tractor, having a good dealer you trust is a must.

No complaints. Tough little tractor for the money! Good luck with your decision :thumbsup:.

/ TYM REASSURANCE FOR NEWBIE #4  
I have not got a ton of hours on mine yet but the work she has done has been hard, so far so good.

Al

Last edited:
   / TYM REASSURANCE FOR NEWBIE
Thanks for the feedback...obsessing about this is helping me quit smoking (30 days smoke free gets me a tractor).
JoeyD - I live on a hill and intend to load those tires
TYMinColton - yeah I have one closer in 1st year with TYM, but seems to have a thriving business, and 1 farther ex-Montana dealer, one's landscaping the other automotive, but knowing there's two w/in45 minutes offers some reassurance
Airedale, did you test the 233 and if so Y'd u go up to 273?
Spent last night on the net looking at Korean Stock market info on TYM, diverse company with a lot of potential I think, lets hope the pricing makes the leap easier

/ TYM REASSURANCE FOR NEWBIE #6  
i test drove 2 t503 cab tractors and they were vibration free. if it is cold outside, there could be noise until the hydraulics and engine warm up. i ended up buying a kioti DK45SE HST cab unit. i liked both units, but the rear remotes in the tym were not placed in a good location for me. other then that, its a strong machine.

/ TYM REASSURANCE FOR NEWBIE #7  
MKIHall,
I was looking for more of a mid sized utility type cab tractor in the 40 to 50 hp range and went with the 433 so I did not test the models you mentioned.

Al

Last edited:
   / TYM REASSURANCE FOR NEWBIE #8  
When I was shopping, TYM was on my short list. I especially like the really short wheelbase. But, then I looked at Kioti. I'm not sure how you see TYM out-spec'ing the Kiotis, especially for your intended tasks, unless you are comparing the CK20 to the T-series. If so, those really aren't the same tractor.

If you don't plan on mowing, rototilling, or snowblowing, the PTO HP is less of a consideration. For digging, weight and hydraulics are king. In these areas, a CK27 or Bobcat 225 have way better specs: much heavier with almost 13 GPM of hydraulic flow. I think the loaders and 3-pt lift specs are slightly better too. The Kioti/BC remotes are better designed as well.

My tasks are/were similar to yours. So, this was my thought process, and what caused me to go Kioti. I have CK25 gear and it's been an awesome dirt mover. With loaded tires, loader, backhoe, I'm weighing in around 5500 lbs. Even with the backhoe off, the tractor is very stable moving dirt and heavy rocks in the loader. I've moved over 900 tons of dirt, stone, and mulch on steep hills and she's been great. If you do go the Kioti/BC route and want HST, opt for the higher HP units (30 or 35). HST robs these heavy tractors of HP, requiring the extra umph for best performance. But in the gear, I've never felt lacking for power with my little 25 HP machine.

I like the TYMs a lot too. And if mowing were a big chore for my tractor, I may have gone that route. The lighter weight and shorter wheelbase make the TYMs more attractive from that point of view. If fact, I'm keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a used TYM for mowing purposes.

The other swaying factor was dealer availability. There just seems to be more Kioti dealers than there are TYM. Just look at how little traffic this TYM forum gets compared to Kioti or BC. That's a clear indicator of owner base. I keep hoping to see growth by TYM, but I haven't seen any indicators that that is really happening.

/ TYM REASSURANCE FOR NEWBIE #9  
I bought a T273 5 yrs ago. Had the same issues as a lot of folks with the muffler and fuel filter/pump mount breaking due to vibration. I know the muffler has been redone a couple of times, don't know about the fuel filter/pump mount - I fixed mine with a welder after the second one broke. I always thought my tractor vibrated a lot at idle, but as you said it is worse when cold. Mine smooths out at about 1500 rpm on up. There were some issues with flywheel alignment on early models that caused excessive vibration (mine wasn't one of them although it was an early model) but that should have been fixed. The hydro cooler (in front of the engine radiator) broke a mounting bracket from vibration as well. I wish it didn't vibrate so much at idle, but for about the last 3 yrs nothing else has happened due to vibration, so I think some of it is just being a little tractor. I really have liked it - it is my first tractor as well - so can't compare it to the rest. I did look at others when shopping around, but not the Kioti (no dealer close by) so can't compare that. Like Gittyup said, weight is good for BH and loader work. I could use loaded tires at my place. The ground is rocky and in the summer hard as a rock, so when using the BH my back wheels can come up pretty easily. I've learned to work around that but if dollars are pretty close between TYM and someone elses (Kioti seems good on paper) you might want to give the weight issue, well...more weight in your decision. If you can pull it off, perhaps a larger TYM like the new 300 series.
As for the dealer, I wish I had one close now, the original one in the area is gone (but from what I hear I'm glad I didn't go that route). I trailer mine a long way for the warranty work, but the guy I take it to is a tractor guy and thats all and does great work and is honest to the point of won't take payment for something I would gladly pay him for because he doesn't think he deserves it. I can't walk away from a guy like that so the travel time and cost to me is worth it. Your situation might be different.
Which ever way you go, have fun (and I know you will) and you'll be surprised at how much you can do with a 'little' tractor.
Good luck.

/ TYM REASSURANCE FOR NEWBIE
THX, gentlemen...
My search isn't over, and I've been impressed w/ the Kiotis, but they're white not orange around here and as such you are paying a premium for the brand recognition it seems, but in the next few weeks will be traveling a little farther afield in my searching. I wonder about hydraulic pressure numbers, near as I can figure the higher the GPM the faster the piston travel, correct? as such, I'm in no hurry as long as the bore, stroke and steel can handle the load. This weekend I'm gonna take a run at the closest dealers to me JD (5miles) and Kubota (12 miles)...I'm hoping to make a move within the next 30 days, and want to absorb as much buyer's remorse insurance as I can in the meantime:confused2: