Comparison TYM vs LS

/ TYM vs LS #1  

tjt35

Bronze Member
Tractor
kubota 4310
Hello,
I am new to the tractor market. I am in north idaho and there is one LS dealer 2hours away. I like him and he states that if he cannot fix the problem over the phone he will come to me, within a week.... There are 3 TYM dealers in the area, one of whom is the dealer with the LS dealership. The same LS/TYM seems to be pushing TYM. So initially I liked the brawn of the LS (heavier and more pto power) but I think I should seriously look at TYM. Any thoughts about this would be helpful.
Thank you

/ TYM vs LS #2  
tj - What are you going to use the tractor for? What size are you looking at? I have had A TYM for two years now 90+ hrs and have no trouble with it. The local dealer in Post Falls has been responsive to my questions and has always been friendly when I stop by.

/ TYM vs LS
Joeyd,
Thanks for your reply. Both TYM and LS has appropriate size models for me. Thats the easy part. I have become very comfortable with the LS line and when I read the forums there seems to be much less complaining from the LS crowd but clearly I would be covered better by TYM dealerships, so I am continuing to ask questions and get feedback

/ TYM vs LS #4  
I do not know the first thing about LS tractors so I can not speak about them. I do like my TYM so far it has been reliable and it has suited me for what I do just fine. You have the unique situation where you have a dealer selling both brands. I would have the dealer compare the models you are interested in feature for feature, dollar for dollar. Get on them and drive them around and see how they fit and operate and just go with what you feel would be the best tractor for what you need and like the best.

Al

Last edited:
   / TYM vs LS
Thank you all very much for your input. I need to do more research and then get back to TBN

/ TYM vs LS #6  
We have TYM 330 HST 550 hours. It had small leak around the sight glass on the transmission right when it was new. Dealer gave me new part and it took about 5 minutes to fix. Since then the tractor was flawless.

/ TYM vs LS #7  
We have had our TYM T293 HST for 2 1/2 months now, have about 85 hours on it and have had only one small problem. The ball joint boots that came on it initially were pretty thin and they have torn. The dealer offered to replace them but I requested he just send me the replacements. They are much improved from the originals.

I could not be happier with TYM

/ TYM vs LS #8  
From everything that I've read, heard, and seen...you're probably not going to go wrong with either one. Pretty helpful, I know. lol

/ TYM vs LS #9  
I cant speak to TYM as there arent any dealers near me. I have seen a lot of them in other countries ie Peru, Nigeria, Mexico where the bigger Ag tractors are popular.
Dealers come and go at will it seems. One long time NH dealer shut down and now sells ATV's, who would have thought that would happen. Every ones says get a good dealer. My take is that friendly dealers while being good to negotiate with and whatever doesnt guarantee they will be selling your brand next year so get a good tractor to begin with.
I like my LS even without having a nearby dealer as mine is a short 60 miles away and what with the 3 broken parts in over 2 years. Only parts I have needed were filters which were drop shipped to me with exception fuel tank which I had to go get and seat suspension and drawbar bracket which I took the tractor in for repair and full checkout as 2 year bumper to bumper warranty was expiring. Everything was ok and new parts fitted . So everything that I broke has been fixed free of charge (seat suspension, drawbar attachment bracket, fuel tank). It only took about 3 days to get the seat and DB bracket last month although we did fix the seat bracket by welding up the pin that broke. It took 6 weeks to get the new fuel tank in as it had to come from Korea. This happened in spring of 2011 right after they started selling them and about 6 months after I bought it. Even though the fuel tank breaking was partially my fault for running over trees and saplings, LS redesigned the bracket holding the tank and skid plate, sent me a new tank complete with cap and fuel sending unit intact. I still have the new one in my shop waiting on my JBWELD repair on the cracks to fail which most contributors on TBN thought would happen in less than 6 months. Its been about 18 months and counting for the home repair with epoxy.
I can say that LS is very pro-active in redesigning a failed part when it appears to be a problem. The fuel tank attachment was redesigned to protect the tank from fractures, the seat suspension was redesigned to be stronger even though the problem was a faulty inadequate weld and the drawbar was also redesigned to be a bit stronger. They dont seem to just set on a problem like I have seen complaints on TBN from other brands.
The power on the P7010 is phenomenol. Yesterday I was picking up some brush using the FEL and once when repositioning the FEL so it was closer to brush while running at 1000 rpm. I heard a little ping from the disc blade but thought it had just hung a vine or something and next thing I know a 10" diameter x 50 foot pine tree comes crashing down beside my tractor. I had hit it with the outside blade on my 8 foot disc as I turned and just pulled it right over without a groan from the tractor. I was very lucky on that one that it fell parallel to the tractor and not on top of it and also missed my brother in law who was loading brush on the other side of the tractor.
I am pretty rough on equipment but the LS has stood the test for ruggedness and reliability. The engine oil at 50 hour change was clear as new oil which was surprising for a diesel. Everything is fairly easy to service although I did have to go buy a 25mm hex key wrench to change the engine oil (the drain plug required that size to remove the two plugs.

/ TYM vs LS #10  
Would you mind saying which models of each brand you are considering? Knowing what you are looking at will get some other types of responses I would think. ;)