Comparing TYM & Montana

/ Comparing TYM & Montana #1  

horsebroke

Bronze Member
Tractor
TYM T450
I've been looking hard at a new tractor recently. Looked at John Deere, Kubota, Montana, Case, and recently, TYM. Need something in 40-45HP range. I think I've narrowed it down to the TYM and Montana. TYM T400/T450 or Montana 4944HST.

Can any of you fine folks give me any advice - whether one is better than the other? and why? They're pretty comparable in price and specs. I think I'm leaning toward the TYM. (Someone told me that TYM makes the Montana - but I haven't found any corroborating "proof".)

Only "negative" I've heard about either is that the manuals are not too good.

I currently have a John Deere 850, but it's not enough tractor to pull a Swather, Rake, Baler. The 850 is a GREAT machine - just not enough HP for the new tasks.

Thanks for your time.

/ Comparing TYM & Montana #2  
Two different machines, manufactured by two different companies. TYM is TYM manufactured and Montana is LG/LS manufactured. You have narrowed it down to two fine pieces of equipment.

The TYM's will be bigger and heavier by about 400lbs. They actually match up pretty well spec wise. I think the Montana is more a large compact where the TYM is a more utility but over all close enough to be comparable.

The Montana PTo hp is more overall since it has a larger gross so it may be a little more suitable for you purpose. On the flip side TYM has a 5 year warranty and excellent finance rates and if paying cash some great cash discounts. Tuff choice as both are great. If you need the additional PTO output the Montana may be the way to go.

Drive both, see what feels best, what dealer you like the best as both are great tractors.

Good luck,
Maka

/ Comparing TYM & Montana #3  
TYM builds the Montana T7074, large utility tractor with a JD engine. Same tractor is offered by Mahindra as a 7010, but with a different engine. UTB, former manufacturer of Long utility tractors, is also building for Montana. The new compact Montana's, not sure about the builder there.

/ Comparing TYM & Montana #4  
I looked at both pretty hard. The one thing that swayed me toward TYM was it was more comfortable in the seat. The Montana seat would not go back far enough for my style of work.

Also, Montana is (wisely) rearranging their sales force. You may want to make sure you are secure in your local dealer, or others are avail. Montana is a great tractor, a neighbor owns one and never has a complaint.

Carl

/ Comparing TYM & Montana
Thank you to all who replied. I settled on the TYM T450 and am happy with my purchase.

Only "problem" is that when I'm using it with the BushHog - in dry dusty conditions, it overheats easily. I called the dealer, and was told there wasn't any particular problem - I just need to ensure the screen in front of the radiator is kept clean. So - I got out my compressor and blew out the screen and radiator - and all's well.

On another note - it isn't nearly as fuel efficient as my smaller JD850. Gets poor milage (in my humble opinion - but remember I'm new at this - so maybe it's normal). This poor milage caused me a significant problem, though. My wife as using it to bush-hog a pasture. It got below 1/2 tank, so my wife was worried about running out. She mentioned it to me over lunch. I didn't jump up right then and go out and fill it - so she did. However - she put GASOLINE in it - instead of Diesel!! GRRR. She ran it for appx 1/2 hour before it started running rough. THEN she realized what she did. She shut it down out in the pasture and came and got me. I took the old JD 850 out and hooked a chain to it - pulled it back to my paddock. Called the dealer - he came and got it. 3 days and $500+ later - I got it back none the worse for wear. WHEW!! Dodged a bullet there. Could have been a LOT worse.

thks.

/ Comparing TYM & Montana #6  
horsebroke said:
Thank you to all who replied. I settled on the TYM T450 and am happy with my purchase.

Only "problem" is that when I'm using it with the BushHog - in dry dusty conditions, it overheats easily. I called the dealer, and was told there wasn't any particular problem - I just need to ensure the screen in front of the radiator is kept clean. So - I got out my compressor and blew out the screen and radiator - and all's well.

For years I've made a habit of stopping every two-three hours and using the air compressor to clean out the radiator and the screens. If it gets real hot I also remove the side panels of my tractor to allow more air flow through the engine.

/ Comparing TYM & Montana #7  
The newest Montana compacts are built by TYM. That makes the T2334, T2734 and T7074 by TYM. LS builds the most tractors for Montana, with UTB filling in with the C-series.