TYM T353 operating temperature

/ TYM T353 operating temperature #1  

bonrab

Tractor
TYM T353 gear
I just picked up a new T353 and have a question for anyone with one of these machines. My tractor just doesn't seem to want to warm up to a stable temperature when it's cold outside. A couple of weeks ago when the air temp was hovering about 32 degrees, I started it up and let it warm up for about 45 minutes. After this warm up period, the temperature gauge barely registered, and when I started working it, the temperature gauge only got to the シ mark on the gauge. If I let it idle for a few minutes, it would drop back down. I had a TYM T273 before this one, and it would warm up to the ス way mark on the gauge and stay there. Makes me think that the thermostat is hanging open, but I just not sure. My dealer says these Mitsubishi diesels run cold, but this seems a little too cool to me. I asked the expert in Redmond, and he couldn't give me a straight answer - just said bring it to the dealer. Since my dealer is over 175 miles away, I'd like to know if I have a problem or not before hauling it all that way. I'd really appreciate any input from you folks on just what your tractor's temperature gauge reads when your operating it. Also, if the engine is running colder than it should be, will the engine be damaged? Thanks, Ron B

/ TYM T353 operating temperature #2  
Should run 180 to 195 range. The Mitsubishi S4L/S4L2's run fairly cool and I would not reall worry about it. Of course, I can't see it so have to put the caveat in that without looking I can't say. I have sold over 150 tractors powered with the S4L and the S4L2 Mitsubishi and they all run fairly cool. It is pretty easy to test however if you are concerned. Run it into the dealer you purchased from and ask them to check it out.

Comparing to the 273 is apples to oranges.

Maka

Last edited:
   / TYM T353 operating temperature #3  
I just picked up a new T353 and have a question for anyone with one of these machines. My tractor just doesn't seem to want to warm up to a stable temperature when it's cold outside. A couple of weeks ago when the air temp was hovering about 32 degrees, I started it up and let it warm up for about 45 minutes. After this warm up period, the temperature gauge barely registered, and when I started working it, the temperature gauge only got to the シ mark on the gauge. If I let it idle for a few minutes, it would drop back down. I had a TYM T273 before this one, and it would warm up to the ス way mark on the gauge and stay there. Makes me think that the thermostat is hanging open, but I just not sure. My dealer says these Mitsubishi diesels run cold, but this seems a little too cool to me. I asked the expert in Redmond, and he couldn't give me a straight answer - just said bring it to the dealer. Since my dealer is over 175 miles away, I'd like to know if I have a problem or not before hauling it all that way. I'd really appreciate any input from you folks on just what your tractor's temperature gauge reads when your operating it. Also, if the engine is running colder than it should be, will the engine be damaged? Thanks, Ron B

Diesels don't warm up quickly at idle. The diesel cycle, unlike a spark ignition engine, runs across a wide range of fuel to air ratios. This means at idle when little work is the fuel to air ratio is very low and the peak gas temperature is low. As you load up the engine the the fuel to air ratio increases and so does the peak gas temperature. The harder you work it the higher the temperature until you hit the limiting fuel flow. The best way to warm up your diesel is to not let it sit and idle. Let it run for a few minutes at low speed to get the oil cirulated then work it, gradualy increasing the load.

/ TYM T353 operating temperature
Well thanks guys for your quick responses. I think that I will just watch it for a while and see what happens - and I'm sure glad I didn't haul it all the way back to the dealer just to find out nothing was wrong! Thanks again, Ron B.

/ TYM T353 operating temperature #5  
It's not good for ANY engine to run too cold. It will cause premature carbon build-up, and most importantly it will cause oil contamination. You can get an aftermarket guage to hook up and double check operating temp. I would think 160 degrees would be minimum acceptable operating temp. You should be able to take the radiator cap off when engine is COLD and start it up while watching the coolant in the radiator. When the thermostat opens you should see circulation in the radiator. When it's cold and the thermostat is closed it should'nt be flowing through the system.

/ TYM T353 operating temperature
Thanks for the info and ideas. I was operating it today and the air temp was 50 degrees or so. I was not working it very hard, but the needle on the temp gauge never got above the 1/4 mark. Next time I fire it up I'll pull the radiator cap to see what happens with the fluid as it warms up. Thanks again, Ron B.