TYM T273

/ TYM T273 #1  

Tractor Shopper

Bronze Member
Tractor
2009 Mccormick CT50U
Hello all, I've been tractor shopping for a bit not and was hoping to some opinions on the T273 AND T233. I like the thought of the 27hp but the dealer I'm dealing with has a T233 demo at a reduced price. I'll take all opinions on these tractors as I'm not stuck on this brand but I do say i kind of like them. I like the size of the machine for the work i intend to do and the thought of a factory cab on this small of a machine is a huge selling point for me. (althought I've only saw pictures of them)

Anyhow when it comes down to it reliability means alot to me and this is a worry for me as i don't know much about these Tractors, along with the fact that the dealership is quite new (they seem great to deal with so far but who knows about there service) I'm just worried about buying a tractor and this brand not taking off in this area and them dropping it as the also sell McCormicks, Montana, and LS. (any info on these tractors would be nice too) Anyhow any help is appreciated and sorry for rambling on.

/ TYM T273 #2  
Could you give us and idea of the things you plan to use it for? It will help when giving some feedback.

/ TYM T273
I'm looking to do a little bit of everything. The number one job will be the landscaping of the yard for my new house which is mostly rough graded but there is a few spots that new to be cut and filled, so I assume I would need a box blade and FEL. (really would like a backhoe too but, may be out of the budget) My house is on 1.5 acres but about an acre is wood land so i sort of want something that is small to maintain the area as I do not plan on making it all lawn. I would also like to use it for snow removal wood splitting, and building the pad where I plan to build my garage and if the tractor was small enough I;d mow my lawn with it too, but probably just get a small lawn tractor for this.

I also have 2 large woodlots that I would like to manage with it, they are both quite young so there wouldn't be much hauling of wood (a few trees here and there if any) but some here and there at some point, but pretty much building some small trails and maintaining them. Then i guess in the future I'd like to do some landscaping work, snow removal jobs what ever to maybe bring in a touch of income with it.

I also looked at a Montana 4330 today with a cab and Fel, really liked the machine but maybe a little to big for my needs. The price he gave me was $29900 Canadian dollars which i thought was pretty good, any thoughts on this machine? Price?

/ TYM T273 #4  
Iam new to this sight but I drove over 400 miles to a great dealer in Kentucky a couple of year ago to buy my Tm273 w loader and backhoe with 2hours (a trade up for another customer) paid $14,400 for it . Great tractor so far. The dealer is sending me a new muffler. I broke the safety switch to crank the tractor, just took off cranks fine without it. Had a o-ring leak on the shift lever,dealer sent me the o-ring and I replaced it myself. I over worked the Back hoe and broke the frame at the U that goes under the frame of the tractor reinforced that weak point with angle not looking to have that problem again. Guess what I'm saying is the tractor does everything I need it to do you just have to remember it is not a bull dozer.

/ TYM T273 #5  
I don't know anything about the LS tractors although a local compact dealer is now carrying them. As far as the Montana I also have no experience, but I did not like the fact that they don't manufacture anything, just resell re-badged brands such as TYM.

From what you described the TYM or Kioti 20-30hp range would be a good fit. I don't use my box blade much, but when I do it seems to be the right tool for the job. Sounds like you would need one from your list of tasks. The backhoe will set you back around $5k or so and only you will know if that cost is worth it.

Both the TYM and Kioti should be able to get on lawns without tearing things up but yet be tough enough to get you landscaping tasks done. Don't know much about the belly mowers so can't comment on using one. I can say the manuverabilty is good on the TYM but I much prefer using a separate riding lawn mower to do my lawn mowing. I do use the brush hog to mow the tall stuff.

Dealer support should play into your decision as well. Sounds like you want a cab so I would definitely try to get a hands on demo of the TYM models with a factory cab maybe a 273 or 293. See if the cabs are quiet or loud? Are they cramped? I have seen a few Kioti machines with cabs but I think they are retrofit ones. Not necessarily bad, but negotiating a one price deal is usually in the buyers best interests.

If you do go with TYM, make sure to check out some of the threads on this TYM forum. A couple of the threads have a list of known problems (which may be fixed on current models?). Make sure you ask the dealer about each one so if you take it off the lot you shouldn't have to deal with these minor annoyances.

My opinion is the TYM and Kioti offer substantial bang for the buck when compared to some of the other larger brands.

/ TYM T273 #6  
HI there. I am considering using a TYM T273 for light yard work for hire. How does it match that since you have owned one. I noticed you had a Backhoe problem and found a fix it for that. Is there anything else I should know about using that backhoe in Florida Sand soils? Any infor about attachments would help much. Thank you, Michael