T300 - Owner Impressions and Review

/ T300 - Owner Impressions and Review #1  

les.houston

For any of you who followed my thread on the FEL issues I had with my T300, it has been resolved. Hopefully this thread will create some conversation on the T300s in general.

I base this on my impressions only...

I bought my T300 in late April 2009. Barring the recent FEL issue with air in the hydraulic system, this baby is pretty much bullet proof! I can now lift at or more than the stated 1,600 pounds with the FEL.

The T300 sits on a chassis that compares to most 40hp+ sits on. The ground clearance is great and all lines are tucked up and out of the way as to not get snagged on any debris or brush. As this thing sits, without any tire ballast, it weighs in at 500 to 600 pounds heavier than comparable Kubota, Yanmar (JD and Cub Cadet), Case, and others that I researched.

The stance and stability of the tractor was improved by moving the rear wheels out to their maximum width. Overall handling improved once I had fluid put into the rear tires as well. I could spin the tires on gravel before I added the ballast.

The 4 cyl. Mitsubishi motor is very strong. I ran a 6 foot finish mower this summer through fairly tall grass and clipped along in Mid-range - 2nd gear most of the time with no real strain on the engine. The temp stayed nice and low. I would have to clean the pre-screen in front of the radiator, but that is normal maintenance...that's why it is there.

I do have to say though, compared to a 24hp, 3 cyl Kubota I used in the past, the S4L Mitsubishi does eat a considerable amount of fuel. It isn't puking it out the exhaust, it seems to be putting it all to work, so that is liveable. The S4L is also very cold natured. Anything below 30 degrees F. and it takes a bit to get it started. I just added a block heater to it, that should fix any starting problems.

The exhaust is low and forward mounted out of the way for the most part. The only real issue I have found is directs its exhaust horizontal right onto the loader arm and onto the metal hydraulic lines and one greasable pivot point. I have pointed this out to TYM and got a verbal "head nod" that it wasn't the best design. I plan on taking off the muffler assembly and take it to a muffler shop and have them cut the pipe and then re-weld it at a 30 degree down angle from horizontal. This will move the exhaust off the FEL.

The operator cockpit is HUGE on this thing! The floor is flat and no misc. pedals or controls sticking out in the way. I like having the stick shift at the right side of the operator. It is very handy to use the FEL and be able to shift from F to R without taking my had off the steering wheel. I suppose a left side mounted shuttle shift would work as well, but I like my setup, as is. I did not want a HST setup as I wanted more HP to the ground.

I looked at a comparable Bobcat tractor the other day and it is very cluttered and cramped leg-wise. I am 5'10", and being average height, I would be uncomfortable in just a few minutes of operation. It also looked cheaply made in comparrison to the T300.

I would have liked it if the ROP was foldable and not permanently mounted in the up position. It sets right at 8 feet and makes it impossible to back into some sheds. I have an idea how to fix it, but need time to put my design to paper and onto metal.

I would have liked the FEL a bit better if the loader valve was a "Series" style where you can lift/lower and curl/uncurl at the same time. At it sits, it is one movement, then another. I know I can replace that with another one, but at this time, I will live with it.

The bucket on my T300 is huge compared to what other brands have on their comparable tractors. I can fill it to overflow with any material and lift it with no problems. (I have a 55 gal drum on the 3 point, filled with granite as more ballast) I love the quick-disconnect style setup. I can switch from my bucket to the pallet forks in less than 60 seconds and never break a sweat. Any skid-steer type connection will work on this thing, at least from what I have found so far.

For a machine that is economy priced, I have to say it has been worth every penny! I would gladly recommend a T300 to anyone looking for a good priced, heavy built, dependable machine.:)

Has anyone else had a chance to run one yet? What are your impressions?

/ T300 - Owner Impressions and Review #2  
For any of you who followed my thread on the FEL issues I had with my T300, it has been resolved. Hopefully this thread will create some conversation on the T300s in general.

I base this on my impressions only...

I bought my T300 in late April 2009. Barring the recent FEL issue with air in the hydraulic system, this baby is pretty much bullet proof! I can now lift at or more than the stated 1,600 pounds with the FEL.

The T300 sits on a chassis that compares to most 40hp+ sits on. The ground clearance is great and all lines are tucked up and out of the way as to not get snagged on any debris or brush. As this thing sits, without any tire ballast, it weighs in at 500 to 600 pounds heavier than comparable Kubota, Yanmar (JD and Cub Cadet), Case, and others that I researched.

The stance and stability of the tractor was improved by moving the rear wheels out to their maximum width. Overall handling improved once I had fluid put into the rear tires as well. I could spin the tires on gravel before I added the ballast.

The 4 cyl. Mitsubishi motor is very strong. I ran a 6 foot finish mower this summer through fairly tall grass and clipped along in Mid-range - 2nd gear most of the time with no real strain on the engine. The temp stayed nice and low. I would have to clean the pre-screen in front of the radiator, but that is normal maintenance...that's why it is there.

I do have to say though, compared to a 24hp, 3 cyl Kubota I used in the past, the S4L Mitsubishi does eat a considerable amount of fuel. It isn't puking it out the exhaust, it seems to be putting it all to work, so that is liveable. The S4L is also very cold natured. Anything below 30 degrees F. and it takes a bit to get it started. I just added a block heater to it, that should fix any starting problems.

The exhaust is low and forward mounted out of the way for the most part. The only real issue I have found is directs its exhaust horizontal right onto the loader arm and onto the metal hydraulic lines and one greasable pivot point. I have pointed this out to TYM and got a verbal "head nod" that it wasn't the best design. I plan on taking off the muffler assembly and take it to a muffler shop and have them cut the pipe and then re-weld it at a 30 degree down angle from horizontal. This will move the exhaust off the FEL.

The operator cockpit is HUGE on this thing! The floor is flat and no misc. pedals or controls sticking out in the way. I like having the stick shift at the right side of the operator. It is very handy to use the FEL and be able to shift from F to R without taking my had off the steering wheel. I suppose a left side mounted shuttle shift would work as well, but I like my setup, as is. I did not want a HST setup as I wanted more HP to the ground.

I looked at a comparable Bobcat tractor the other day and it is very cluttered and cramped leg-wise. I am 5'10", and being average height, I would be uncomfortable in just a few minutes of operation. It also looked cheaply made in comparrison to the T300.

I would have liked it if the ROP was foldable and not permanently mounted in the up position. It sets right at 8 feet and makes it impossible to back into some sheds. I have an idea how to fix it, but need time to put my design to paper and onto metal.

I would have liked the FEL a bit better if the loader valve was a "Series" style where you can lift/lower and curl/uncurl at the same time. At it sits, it is one movement, then another. I know I can replace that with another one, but at this time, I will live with it.

The bucket on my T300 is huge compared to what other brands have on their comparable tractors. I can fill it to overflow with any material and lift it with no problems. (I have a 55 gal drum on the 3 point, filled with granite as more ballast) I love the quick-disconnect style setup. I can switch from my bucket to the pallet forks in less than 60 seconds and never break a sweat. Any skid-steer type connection will work on this thing, at least from what I have found so far.

For a machine that is economy priced, I have to say it has been worth every penny! I would gladly recommend a T300 to anyone looking for a good priced, heavy built, dependable machine.:)

Has anyone else had a chance to run one yet? What are your impressions?

I have one and love it, except for air in the FEL. No luck with my dealer or TYM in N.C. curing the problem. What did you do to fix it? This has been going on for over two years.