TYM T603C FEL review

/ TYM T603C FEL review #1  

Smallplot

Gold Member
Tractor
1974 IH 1066, 1969 IH 756/FEL, and 2011 TYM T603 Cab/FEL
Just got the new machine delivered yesterday but plan on adding to this post as I gain seat time.

The dealer we went made the purchase through is from Donnellson IA at Armstrong Small Engines. Our dealer took time to go over all questions about the machine and is working on our side. It appears he would like to keep our business as we really liked the looks of the 90HP model as well.

The T603 comes standard with many standards available only as options on many competitive brands. Examples would be front and rear wiper blades, three rear hydro remotes, sway bars, draft control, expandable 3 point tips, both right and left arm adjusters, and many others.

First impression of the tractor ascetically:

After growing up on a farm, the tractor looks small. I think the radically sloped hood only exaggerates how small the tractor looks. The tractor frame, axles, and FEL appear beefy. All the service items appear to be reasonably accessible. Loader is made very strong with responsive hydro lift at engine idle speed. Cab doors, both sides, operate smooth and appear tightly sealed.

The controls have some to be desired. If they would place them more on a console on the right side I feel they would be more accessible. The 4wd selector, creeper selector, draft, 3 point, and 3 rear hydro valves are placed slightly behind the operator station. For the savings on this machine they suit me fine as I will just have to get used to their orientation.

Operation observations:

The 4 cylinder engine is very quiet with and without being in the cab. There is a roof vent which can be opened along with rear and side glass panels. Visibility out side the cab is good. With the FEL attached there will be partial blockage of view but you can still see both tires and bucket orientation.

Shifting the syncro shuttle will take a little while to get used to just because it is very different from our old tractors. Lock out function disables the joystick is nice. Don't have to worry about bumping the joystick while driving. There is a mechanical clutch peddle lock which would allow operator not to be required to be seated during.

Wanted the R1 tires but tractor came with R4's. Just hope they are not as bad as they used to. Dealer did say the R1s that are offered were more like very deep tread rice tires.

h ar Getting long winded, call if you need anything specificabout the c reviewed

/ TYM T603C FEL review #2  
NIce Review! I see you rise early as well!
What is the configuration of the transmission. You mentioned it has a creeper mode?

/ TYM T603C FEL review
indianaEPH said:
NIce Review! I see you rise early as well!
What is the configuration of the transmission. You mentioned it has a creeper mode?

Manual shuttle shift. 3 ranges (high med low) with 4 shuttle gears in each range. And you can select creeper gear (below low) which works in all aforementioned gears. Low 1st gear has a 1mph speed. Creeper low is rated at .30 mph. If that helps one lever for creeper/normal. Another shifted for low, med, and high. A third lever for ranges 1-4. And final shifted for forward/reverse.

/ TYM T603C FEL review
After a little time getting used to controls the tractor is still doing fine. The heater kicks butt and has to be turned almost to cold to keep from breaking out in a sweat.

Lights: used the lights once during the night. The regular headlights are pretty much blocked by the FEL but do function well enough for driving down a roadway at night. The front accessory lights on the cab light up everything very well including the FEL. The rear cab mounted accessory lights light everything up well behind the cab including the 3 point area for hook up.

Engine starts very easy during the coldest weather we have had (in upper 20s).

Tractor and FEL weigh in at 6770 lbs without ballist in tires. Hooked up to a 6 foot great plains no-till drill right now and it handles it well. Lots of weight.

Have found the tractor has plenty of power and can do most ordinary tasks at very low rpm. This would be a great fuel saver.

Think I am almost used to controls and their placement. Overall I am still very satisfied with this tractor. I find myself waiting for about 4 inches of snow to go out and push a little snow.

Loader controls are very nice and not touchy at all. The float function on FEL has come in real handy while bladeing gravel drive.

Shifting: gears are fine and with a little practice you can run up and down through all four gears in a range without using the clutch.

/ TYM T603C FEL review
OK have 130ish hours on the tractor now. Have put the tractor through some paces this summer and making it earn it's keep.

Couple dislikes I really need to point out. Being 6 foot tall I find the reverse lever hitting my knee if I am turned around. Wondering why they have the tilt steering wheel as there needs to be a few more inches between the seat and the steering wheel. Guess it is designed for short people! Arm rests would be nice also during long work days.

3 point control lever... while they have the selection numbered I find there is only a small range within that where the 3 point actually moves. Most uses find me needing either all the way up or all the way down so this is a personal gripe and not necessarily a deal breaker on getting another one. Possibly needs something adjusted that I am unaware of.

Engine... It is a little power house and very capable. Dipsticks are kind of generic. While I have always been used to Min/Max markings with clear indication of the dipstick itself find this not the case. Also the manual shows a different marking system on the dipsticks - maybe something was lost in translation? I would like to see spin on fuel filter also - just personal preference.

4x4... I have come to the realization that any tractor in this category may be useless without 4x4. It does not take much to loose traction at the rears either working in loose dirt or doing loader work. Again not necessarily a problem with the tractor, just something to deal with due to weight. Sometimes the 4x4 lever will not disengage. Found if you lift the front end off the ground with the bucket stress is relieved and slips easily out of 4x4.

Cab... heat works almost too well but air will not freeze you out unless outside temps drop. This may have something to do with sunshine beating through all that glass but if the air would come out in a few other places than right in front this may not be an issue. Past weekend found me tilling very dry ground causing extreme dusty conditions. interior of cab is now filled with dust and needs cleaned. I can not say the dust infiltrated the cab without some assistance by me. I had to open and slam the door every couple of passes in an attempt to clear the cab filter. I can tell you that while I was mowing with the bush hog noticed for the first time dust entering the cab. Giving the doors a tug I found one door was closed but not closed tight. After hearing the door click, the dust stopped coming into the cab. Still not real happy with the position of some controls but with the cost savings am finding them easy enough to adapt to.

I have read some comments on the radiators plugging easily. I have operated bush hog in some weedy fields and very, very dusty field conditions. It has been my observation that yes there will be some crud collect on the screens in front of the condenser and radiator which needs cleaned daily but nothing that causes diminished operations during a days work. While in the extreme dusty conditions found the air to not function as well due to the condenser being blocked but this can happen even with our Ag tractors. It is just maintenance which needed performed. I read somewhere where the fins plug up with dust. I can say I operated all weekend in the extreme conditions and never found this to be true. I did run water through the radiator fins each day just to be sure. Again this is just another daily maintenance that is a product of the environment and so needs done, just as putting fuel in the tank.

Greasing... Most grease zerks are easily accessible. Only two exceptions to this would be the throw out bearings. They should be turned so they can be accessed from under the tractor besides through the floor of the tractor. Once found, I can access the left left side but the right side is blocked by a piece of metal. this can be taken care of with a dremmel but should be addressed by the Mfg.

Had a short period where when attempting to start the tractor, the starter would only begin turning over then nothing each time the key was turned. I adjusted the clutch linkage also adjusted the clutch stop in the cab. This took care of the starting problem and between greasing the throwout bearings and adjusting the clutch took care of the clutch chatter which had developed.

Starting the tractor moving from stopped... I find the tractor shuddering at times when starting out from a dead stop. I find this happens more frequently when trying to feather the clutch as I begin forward movement. Not feathering the clutch and just letting the clutch out quickly will provide a smoother start unless too high of a gear was selected.

Road gear and hills... While operating in road gears driving to and from sites have noticed there is a noticeable lack of power pulling hills with heavier (3000 pound) implements attached. Found that this lack of power is diminished some by operating at high (pto) throttle. With lighter implements like tiller or mower this lack of power is not as noticeable going up hills.

Using brakes to turn... This winter I used the brakes to assist in turning very well. This spring while drilling more alfalfa into an existing stand needed to use the brakes to avoid tearing up the existing stand. During this time found the tractor would loose engine speed when either the right or left brake was operated independent of the other. Acted like I throttled down and once either brake was released the engine speed would jump back up.

An addition of top and tilt from Fit Right was easy with the three standard hydro remotes leaving one remote available for hooking up hydro operated implement if needed.

All in all this is a good little working tractor with enough power to work beyond it's capacity.

Dan

Last edited:
   / TYM T603C FEL review #6  
Hey Dan,
I have come up with pretty much the same as you when it comes to the cab's heat and air conditioning. With all that glass it is like a green house in these cabs on a sunny day. I was in mine yesterday and the temp was around 90 degrees and the air in the cab kept things tolerable but certainly will not freeze me out.

I use my tractor for a lot of snow clearing and that is my main reason for going with the cab and in that respect she really shines. Unlike the old days with my open Kubota freezing my butt off, I can now take off my coat and sit in warm comfort on the coldest of days which kind of make clearing snow half way enjoyable.

Al

/ TYM T603C FEL review #7  
Hi Dan,
I have a 2011 TYM T433 Cab/FEL. The clutch is in need of adjustment. Do you have to drop the frame for the FEL to do so. Just seems like there's not enough room to get a wrench to break locknut loose. Let along get the cotter pin out of the turn buckle pin.

Bob

/ TYM T603C FEL review
Hi Dan,
I have a 2011 TYM T433 Cab/FEL. The clutch is in need of adjustment. Do you have to drop the frame for the FEL to do so. Just seems like there's not enough room to get a wrench to break locknut loose. Let along get the cotter pin out of the turn buckle pin.

Bob

Don't recall there being a cotter pin on mine and there is room for me to get to my adjustment rod with FEL on.

/ TYM T603C FEL review #9  
Dan,

I am on the fence between the TYM T603C and LS U5030C. I appreciate your taking time reviewing the T603C tractor. This helps in decision time...thank you! SB

Last edited:
   / TYM T603C FEL review #10  
Dan,

I realize it's been over 2 years since you posted, but I wonder if anyone has ever thought of installing an electric fan in front of the condenser.
I did that on a Kubota and it worked great, found it on ebay for about 30 bucks and install a 5 dollar relay to be activated from the ignition.

I just purchased a 2013 t503, maybe they resolved the AC issue, I did see some guy take his tractor to the window tint shop, he only tinted the upper half of the windows.