T273 loss of power

/ T273 loss of power #1  

myyaz33

Platinum Member
Tractor
TYM T273
Ok, lets see if anyone can get me pointed in the right direction. TYM T273

Yesterday I broke out the brush hog and mowed for a little bit. All seemed well until I was about 3/4 the way done and it sounded like the engine rpm dropped a bit. Thought maybe it was my hearing and I continued to mow the mower did not seem to struggle and temp gauge was fine. Then when I went to go up a hill the engine lost power and would not go up the hill. I disengaged the PTO and throttled down to see if it would respond. It continued to run but just wouldn't throttle up properly and was slow to respond to the increase of throttle. I was able to get it back up in rpm and make it to the shop. Linkage all seems fine.

In checking the fuel filter I noticed the bowl is cracked at the top but not leaking. Any chance suction is lost and not properly supplying fuel? Anyway replacing the bulb and filter seem like a good starting point. Any other troubleshooting thoughts?

/ T273 loss of power #2  
Could be injectors.Does it smell like it's running rich.mine finally got so bad it knocked and smoked.

/ T273 loss of power
Good question, but I can't answer it right now as I can't keep it running now. Although I think it does knock a bit.

FYI - I don't have the new filter and bowl yet so still using the broken one. I put it all back together and bleed the system and can't keep it running. It starts then sputters out like it is not getting fuel. Hope it is not the injectors. Were yours covered during the warranty period?

Last edited:
   / T273 loss of power #4  
I fixed my own injector cause TYM HASN'T told me if warranty paid or not. Been waitin' since Thanksgiving '11. I needed it so Irepaired it mid December.The cost is $70 ea.,also needed fuel shutoff solenoid early this year$270 :confused2:STEVE

/ T273 loss of power
I was able to get it started and running again tonight but did not have time to test and see if the power issue remains. My starting issue was it needed bled better. I am not getting much smoke or strong smell, but then again I was already drenched in diesel. Will post more tomorrow evening when I get the new filter assembly on.

/ T273 loss of power #6  
Sounds like the fuel filter, could also be bad fuel, maybe water in fuel.

Al

/ T273 loss of power #7  
Mine will overheat when mowing(radiator fins clogged) But even though the tractor overheats and starts loosing power the temp gauge never goes up more than half way. I have to clean the fins let it cool of and go again.
Had it do it while moving mulch with the loader also. Mulch wis blowing back into the fins.

/ T273 loss of power
Got over an inch of rain and really didn't feel like fighting a foot of mud tonight so I did not put the new bowel on. Probably won't get to look at it until Sunday as I need to help my father do some electrical work. My gut is telling me it will solve my problems.

/ T273 loss of power #9  
Hello
New to the site, I've been lurking for a long time. I had a couple of other ideas one that occured on my 273. Is the air filter plugged? My 273 seemed to be not turning as many rpm's and down a little on power and I found where the throttle cable is clamped on the throttle lever the screw had backed out allowing the cable to slip and not open the throttle all the way. Might be worth checking.

Last edited:
   / T273 loss of power
Put the new filter and bowl on today. Good news, the problem has gone away. I am also suspecting the fuel may have not been the best too. Anyway, was able to get back to mowing and get another things crossed of the list today.

Thanks all...