Dirt Moving Big Enough?

/ Big Enough? #1  

Gregster613

Platinum Member
Southern Ca. halfway up a mountain in rural Ramona
Tractor
273 TYM. 2009 //Yardmachines 7 Speed Shift-on-the-goScotts L2048
Hi fellow TYM'ers,
I've searched and searched but was unable to locate the correct info that I wonder about. It seems that none of the tym'rs own/use a 3ph tiller?

I'm getting real close to buying a 3ph rototiller and am fairly sure that my Hydrostatic 273 will handle a 5' [would cover my tire tracks] but all the 5' specs say min of 30 horse?

I've got 27hp at engine and probably about 22 - 23 at pto; I plan to break up the ground with my middlebuster prior to working it with the tiller but I don't want to spend alot of $ on an item that my TYM wouldn't be able to handle.
So, my question is if anyone out there operates a 5' rototiller with their 273?

Thanks for any experiences shared or advice given. Greg

/ Big Enough? #2  
Well, I can not comment on the 273. However, I do run a 72" tiller with a 38hp tractor. 32 hp at the PTO. The tiller is rated from 35 to 50HP, so I was worried about my tractor being underpowered to turn the tiller. But, I had the same issue with tire width. My tires are 61" wide, and a 60" tiller actually only tills about 56" wide. The 66" tillers were to expensive. So, I got the 72", thinking I could return it if the tractor couldn't handle it.

I have tilled about 5 acres with it so far. Absolutely no problems. Now, I have not tried tilling with it set at the deepest setting. That would be 7" deep, and would probably be to much for the tractor. But set at the shallowest setting, which is about 2 1/2 inches, it absolutely eats up everything I have driven over (including a brick by accident). If I do want to till all the way down to 7 inches, I will do it in stages. It will take three passes instead of one, but I will be able to drive much faster.

So, I think you will be fine with the 60" tiller. I absolutely love the way the ground looks now that I have tilled it. I am glad I went with a tiller over a set of discs. One pass and it is beautiful. The one downside is that my neighbor has been nagging me to do his 3 acres because mine looks so nice. There goes half my Saturday. Then again, what are neighbors for.

/ Big Enough? #3  
I have a 6284, Cat-powered Cub Cadet. The 5 foot tiller behind it made VERY short work of my project. Most of the ground had been previously tilled, but the little bit that hadn't chewed up pretty easily.

/ Big Enough? #4  
I run a 5ft KKII on my 273 with no problems. Handles fine in all soil types arousd these parts. Have done food plots, gardens & new lawn installs.

/ Big Enough?
Thanks for the info from all.
Myyaz33 especially glad to hear from you. KKII is one of the tillers I've been considering. Another with approx same price is a Tarter from Ken Sweet. I haven't made any offers to anyone yet, nor asked any other questions. Wanted to be sure the 273 would handle a 5' first.

Myyaz33 I sure hope it just turns out to be that a cracked fuel bowel is the cause of your 273's distress. I can't imagine why a fuel injector would just crap out suddenly and for no apparent reason. You've put far more hours on yours than I've put on mine yet and I'm really hoping this is just a freak incidence that turns out for the good!
Greg

/ Big Enough? #6  
Thanks greg, I am not sweating it really. I think the issue will turn our to be the fuel bowel.

As far as the tiller, the KKII has been great. Adjusting the slip clutch is a bit cramped but that is also due to the tractor 3pt arms being short and not giving much wiggle room. But I truly only adjust it once a year.

/ Big Enough? #7  
I run a 54" tiller on a Ford 1710 - 23.5 PTO HP and let it sink deep. I typically pull the gage wheels and let it work. No issues at all with power but I think some of it depends on how low of gear you have.

/ Big Enough?
Thanks for the input Creamer. That's kind of what I thought; with my hydrostatic tranny I can just inch along if need be. I was just looking for some previous CUT owner experiences before making a fairly large $ splurge. Greg