TYM 273 Replacement Battey

/ TYM 273 Replacement Battey #11  
You have a parts manual ???

We do if you need one, Problem is the manuals are not updated and some items are either not in the manual, or have been superseded . But its always a good starting point.

For example, the new design driveshaft between the HST and engine. And input shafts for the trans. They are not in the manual yet.

/ TYM 273 Replacement Battey #12  
somewhat off topic, but ZKF14837 mentoned a new driveshaft design. I just found that they collar over the lock balls is loose and rattles (noise was the first thing that alerted me too it). It looks like each couplier has a grease zerk on it, and there is a pinch bolt on the engine side of the shaft.
Do I have an old one? Can I retro one? My dealer told me over the phone that the 293 version was better since it had a u-joint in it. Can anyone confirm this? Is this the new design? What is recommended? Upgrade, try to grease temporarily, or do I need to look at other options?

/ TYM 273 Replacement Battey #13  
Hi Rippen, the ball joints for the T293 are backwards compatible for the T273. The design was upgraded in order to improve performance on the T293.
I would recommend upgrading to the newer part if you're having issues.

/ TYM 273 Replacement Battey #14  
somewhat off topic, but ZKF14837 mentoned a new driveshaft design. I just found that they collar over the lock balls is loose and rattles (noise was the first thing that alerted me too it). It looks like each couplier has a grease zerk on it, and there is a pinch bolt on the engine side of the shaft.
Do I have an old one? Can I retro one? My dealer told me over the phone that the 293 version was better since it had a u-joint in it. Can anyone confirm this? Is this the new design? What is recommended? Upgrade, try to grease temporarily, or do I need to look at other options?

( I'm assuming you have a 273/233)

The driveshaft I mentioned is between the engine and HST unit. Older models have a straight shaft, with locking balls and collars at each end. Newer models have a shaft with a slip yoke and universal joints at each end ( pinch bolts at both ends). That's the easiest way to tell which design you have and I forget when TYM started installing the new shafts in production.

Greasing the ball and sleeve coupler will probably only quiet the shaft temporarily. Grease collects dirt and debris and this will only shorten the life of the older style shaft. They are not that bad to install, BUT, if you wait too long, it will wear out the splines on the HST input shaft, which requires Transmission removal to replace the shaft.

Best thing would be to get the correct shaft for your application, and install it. If you plan on doing it yourself, grab a hyd filter while your out.

/ TYM 273 Replacement Battey #15  
( I'm assuming you have a 273/233)

The driveshaft I mentioned is between the engine and HST unit. Older models have a straight shaft, with locking balls and collars at each end. Newer models have a shaft with a slip yoke and universal joints at each end ( pinch bolts at both ends). That's the easiest way to tell which design you have and I forget when TYM started installing the new shafts in production.

Greasing the ball and sleeve coupler will probably only quiet the shaft temporarily. Grease collects dirt and debris and this will only shorten the life of the older style shaft. They are not that bad to install, BUT, if you wait too long, it will wear out the splines on the HST input shaft, which requires Transmission removal to replace the shaft.

Best thing would be to get the correct shaft for your application, and install it. If you plan on doing it yourself, grab a hyd filter while your out.

I do have a 273. I shot some grease in the shaft last evening (it is the old design). That noise must have been there for quite awhile, because the tractor is now quieter than I ever remember it!!

I am going to talk to my servicing dealer, and see if they can send me the upgraded shaft for me to install.

After inspecting, removing the filter is something I considered as well. I will do a search anyway, but what brand / filter size do you recommend? Wix?
Thanks for the great information.

/ TYM 273 Replacement Battey #16  
We stock both the TYM filter for use and a Donaldson P169078 ( or the WIX/ NAPA number is 1586) You pretty much have to take the filter off to get to the driveshaft.

/ TYM 273 Replacement Battey #18  
Thanks for the replies everyone - just got back here after hibernating from the winter and not thinking about the TYM which is still covered in ice.. first day in a couple months where the sun is out and it's above 32 degrees.

I looked up a parts manual but it is so small print and so hard to read and I couldn't see the battery tie down or where to buy it. A TYM dealer in NH (Northwood) said they didn't have a part specifically for the TYM but that any NAPA should have one. I found that not to be the case

/ TYM 273 Replacement Battey #19  
i have 1 too
Thanks for the pages - does anyone know a TYM dealer good with parts who will ship out - I am in MA but the dealer closest is in NH and doesn't seem to want to be troubled

/ TYM 273 Replacement Battey #20  
There is a dealer in Springfield MA. Springfield Truck and Auto. 413-426-9976.