TYM 273 Replacement Battey

/ TYM 273 Replacement Battey #1  

Schaec

Tractor
TYM 273
Hi all,
I have a TYM 273, great little tractor, that I need to replace the battery in. The battery measures approximately 7" wide by 5" deep by 8" high, I have looked in all of the normal locations, Tractor Supply, Rural King and all of the auto parts stores but I have not been able to find a replacement battery that will fit. I would appreciate any information on brands, size and purchase location. Thanks in advance.

/ TYM 273 Replacement Battey #2  
Take it to an Interstate battery dealer. I am sure they can get you one.

/ TYM 273 Replacement Battey #3  
The battery in my 293 HST measures 7X5X9. I'm pretty sure that is is the same battery or at least the same bracket. I got a replacement at Sam's Club. It is a Duracell Group Size 51 and I'm pretty sure that Walmart would carry the same line. A Diehard application code C-3 will also fit. Make sure that you check the post/terminal location on your replacement. That battery size comes with two different configurations and if you get the wrong one the posts will short out on the tie down bracket. (With the wrong battery, the + and - are at the opposite ends of the battery and the only way to get the cables to fit is to mount it with the posts/terminals against the tie down bracket). I believe that the proper battery is a "-R", but double check to be sure. Good luck.

EDIT: Here is a link to the Sears battery. The battery at Sam's Club was about 1/2 the price.

http://www.sears.com/diehard-automotive-battery-group-size-51-with-exchange/p-02850451000P

Last edited:
   / TYM 273 Replacement Battey
Thanks for the quick replies, I will check at Sears and Walmart and thanks for the link Waterbug.

/ TYM 273 Replacement Battey #5  
Need batteries for 580 SL. Any special type better than
others? 8" high 10" long and 7"wide. need two

/ TYM 273 Replacement Battey #6  
Just got back from Wally Mart. They carry the group size 51 but you DON"T need the "r". That's the one that hits the terminals on the mounting bracket. Just get the regular 51. I just paid $113.00.

Haven't been on TBN forums for a few years now but a google search for the right battery brought me right back! Thanks for the help Waterbug and NICE snow blower. I need to get one of those!!

The battery in my 293 HST measures 7X5X9. I'm pretty sure that is is the same battery or at least the same bracket. I got a replacement at Sam's Club. It is a Duracell Group Size 51 and I'm pretty sure that Walmart would carry the same line. A Diehard application code C-3 will also fit. Make sure that you check the post/terminal location on your replacement. That battery size comes with two different configurations and if you get the wrong one the posts will short out on the tie down bracket. (With the wrong battery, the + and - are at the opposite ends of the battery and the only way to get the cables to fit is to mount it with the posts/terminals against the tie down bracket). I believe that the proper battery is a "-R", but double check to be sure. Good luck.

EDIT: Here is a link to the Sears battery. The battery at Sam's Club was about 1/2 the price.

DieHard Automotive Battery Size 51: Value for Your Vehicle at Sears

/ TYM 273 Replacement Battey #7  
Hi all,
I have a TYM 273, great little tractor, that I need to replace the battery in. The battery measures approximately 7" wide by 5" deep by 8" high, I have looked in all of the normal locations, Tractor Supply, Rural King and all of the auto parts stores but I have not been able to find a replacement battery that will fit. I would appreciate any information on brands, size and purchase location. Thanks in advance.

Thanks to this thread I got a Sears replacement battery group size 51 for my T273 (took the old one in to make sure it matched). Now I can't seem to find a tie down like the old one which is completely rusted out. Looks like it is metal with a couple of rods with hooks in the end. The metal bracket that goes lengthwise on the top looks like it has a horn and something else attached to it. I called a TYM dealer who said they had nothing specific for the TYM. I can't see any part numbers for it. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Chris

/ TYM 273 Replacement Battey #8  
The pages marked 226 & 227 (PDF page 214 & 215 respectively) show the diagram and part numbers in the parts manual I have. What exactly are you needing?

/ TYM 273 Replacement Battey #9  
Napa 7551 Is what we put in them regularly. There is a TYM service bulletin showing where to drill two new holes to relocate the battery hold down.