Default TYM 353 HST GEAR QUESTION

my 353 haes 3 gears (L M H). i use Medium to cut grass.....am i hurting the transmission ----when should i use L or H ??

thanks
    bob

Elite Member Redneck in training's Avatar
    Tractor
    TYM 330 HST with FEL

Default Re: TYM 353 HST GEAR QUESTION

Medium is good for about 90% of all jobs such as mowing, FEL etc. Low is used when you need precise slow motion or you need large traction. High is used for transportation on roads.
    When mowing run the engine at PTO speed. When doing other jobs run it at least 2000 rpm.

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

^^ What he said.

James K0UA
    James K0UA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner NRA Life Member How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN .

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck in training View Post
    Medium is good for about 90% of all jobs such as mowing, FEL etc. Low is used when you need precise slow motion or you need large traction. High is used for transportation on roads.
    When mowing run the engine at PTO speed. When doing other jobs run it at least 2000 rpm.
    Thank You----that helps me understand it is not like a Car tranny.....

bob

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by astro1949 View Post
    Thank You----that helps me understand it is not like a Car tranny.....

bob
    Not really at all like car or truck transmission.. If you are in MED and start to bog down, back off of the hydro pedal for more torque, and less speed. This is counter intuitive, as most people when bogging down, will stomp it harder, but that is the wrong thing to do. If the hill is really steep and the load really heavy use LO to start with.. It can be dangerous to change ranges on a steep hill.. you can have trouble switching ranges, and get it in neutral, and whee... down the hill you go if you are unprepared.. if you must switch ranges.. Put you foot on the brakes hard. Hope it is in 4wd too for better braking action.. Best thing is to be in the range you need to be before ascending or descending hills. If you have hydrostat+ (kubota thing) you can "downshift" on the fly with a steering column mounted lever for more torque. It has a "subrange" within each range it doesnt actually change any gears, but it changes the angle on the swashplate... But most tractors do not have this ability.

James K0UA
    James K0UA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner NRA Life Member How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN .