Mowing tym273 poor cut quality from mid mount mower

/ tym273 poor cut quality from mid mount mower #1  

brooksto

Tractor
TYM 233, Kubota b2320, Simplicity Conquest, Cub Cadet slt1554, Ford lgt-12h
I have a tym273 with the tym belly mower, model tmb-60sh (side discharge). This was just purchased used with about 100 hours. I am very disappointed in the quality of cut. I get a lot of unmowed streaking, especially when turning, and the mower seems to throw out a large amount of unmulched clippings, so much that if they arent raked up they will kill the grass. Looks like the entire length of the grass blade is thrown out without being chopped up at all.

I am comparing this cut to a couple of lawn tractors. I realize the 60" deck on the tym is going to be throwing out more clippings, but I feel like it should be chopping them up more. I am at a loss about what is causing the streaking. Unfortunately the 60" deck isnt saving me any time because I am having to mow over same spots several times to get all the streaks out.

Has anyone had similar problems with the tym mower? I had done some research and found people saying the rear discharge had problems. Also contacted a dealer earlier about buying a new TYM and he had recommended against getting the tym mower but didnt elaborate as to why.

/ tym273 poor cut quality from mid mount mower #2  
Sounds like the mower is doing it's job very well. What you described is called windrowing. Large mowing decks will windrow when cutting tall heavy grass. Large decks also do not like damp or wet grass. Large decks like dry grass. I would suggest a mowing height of three inches if mowing K-31 Fescue. I would also suggest mowing at least once a week and more often if the grass is growing rapidly. Streaking is usually caused by either the belt on the deck being loose and trying to mow to fast or a combination of both. Streaking or uncut grass is also caused when trying to mow low, one-two inches in heavy tall grass. The amount of grass being cut exceeds the design of the deck. Think of it as trying to put a gallon of water in a quart container. The volume of material in this case grass exceeds the capacity of the blades to continue cutting and also exhaust already cut clippings. One way not to have uncut or missed grass at the end of a cut is to loop at the end instead of trying to make a sharp fast turn. The best grass cut will be achieved between 3-4 mph. Some say they mow at 10-12. Think of a Golf Course. Ever seen anyone mowing a Golf Course at 10-12 MPH.

/ tym273 poor cut quality from mid mount mower #3  
Another option that may help is to get some (Gator Mulcher ) blades. They will also cut grass on the lift portion of the blade. I use them on my zero turn mower and have been happy with their cutting performance.

/ tym273 poor cut quality from mid mount mower #4  
I have found with both my jd mmm and the yanmar rear mount that the deck speeds needs to be adequate along with the travel speed being correct for the height of the grass,tight turns even then leave streaking so a wide loop is used and when I then get clumps or streaks it is time to sharpen the blades. In 500mm (16") high stuff it is flat out with the deck speed and very slow on the travel speed and I use high back mulching blades. I admit to being slack in not mowing frequently enough so I pay the price with often hard mowing and it took a few goes to get the blade selection and speeds correct for the two machines with a pulley size change on one being required just to fine tune the deck speed....regards

/ tym273 poor cut quality from mid mount mower #5  
I agree with the other's answers here, speed, blade style and sharpness can make a huge difference in results when mowing.

I had to put new blades on my lawn tractor last year and went with mulching style blades, they made a marked difference in the quality of cut over the stock blades when they were at their best, especially on taller grass.

Al

Last edited:
   / tym273 poor cut quality from mid mount mower
Thanks for the replies. I raised the deck height to the maximum setting of each deck wheel, and tried to take it a little slower. The cut quality was better. Im still not amazed at it but it is sufficient. Still getting streaking on a turn but I guess I will have to loop or creep slowly in a turn as was suggested. Im going to have to research those mulching blades as it still seems like the blades that are exhausted are not being chopped up as much as I would like.

My Ford lawn tractor broke down AGAIN, so it was nice to have the TYM to jump on and finish mowing. I finally took the FEL off and that helped a lot too, was able to get closer to the fence line in turns and not worry about hitting things so much (I usually just take the bucket off).

Has anyone seen a grass catcher for the TYM belly mower?

/ tym273 poor cut quality from mid mount mower #7  
I am replying a little late for this discussion but I have just put an underdeck TYM and it cut terrible and then on further inspection the blades are turning the wrong direction.
I have not yet worked out how to solve this!