Dirt in Fuel Lines - Fuel Tank Needs Cleaning

/ Dirt in Fuel Lines - Fuel Tank Needs Cleaning #1  

noggles

Tractor
TYM t330
Hello,

I'm new to the forums, and this is my first post. Any help would be much appreciated.

I own a 2006 tym t330 hst ~100hrs, which, despite fixing a few issues here and there has been a good machine.

I'm running into an issue with the tractor randomly shutting off, usually after 20+ minutes of medium load work. I've recently completed the following:

Clean fuel filter - Very dirty
Bled lines

Although it feels like it's running a bit better, I'm still having the problem with the tractor randomly shutting off, then the 'check' light blinks. Try a number of times to start it and eventually the light goes away, and the tractor starts and runs again, just to happen again shortly thereafter. I suspect I have dirt in the lines because the filter is already showing some sediment at the bottom of the glass housing, just a day after cleaning. So, I want to clean the fuel tank, but can't seem to find any recommendations on the best way to accomplish that. Do I have to take it off? Can I clean it while keeping the tank on the tractor?

Thanks in advance.

/ Dirt in Fuel Lines - Fuel Tank Needs Cleaning #2  
I have seen people drain most of the fuel, duct tape a section of old water hose to a shop vac, insert water hose into filler neck (the shop vac hose wont fit) and go fishing to remove some sludge. Once the tank is empty you can also blow compressed air from the filter back to the the tank if you think your line has blockage, then put some fuel back in and repeat the dredging. Some people with say you might damage your fuel level float but the guy I saw do it had no problems.

/ Dirt in Fuel Lines - Fuel Tank Needs Cleaning #3  
One other thing that can cause a problem similar to what you are having is a bad safety switch on the seat. The T330 with the HST trans was the only one to have this. It did continue to the T353's with HST but now has been droped. To see if the switch is bad unhook the wires and make a short jumper wire to make a full conenction. If this is the problem you can replace it or make the by pass wire connection perminant. I had that problem on mine and after cutting the ends and using a butt connector to hook them together I have over 400 hours trouble free. I dont feel there is any safety concern in most cases as all the gear drive tractors do not have the seat switches and only a few HST's had them. This is likely your problem if it isnt a fuel issue.

/ Dirt in Fuel Lines - Fuel Tank Needs Cleaning
Thanks for the advice. I went ahead ran through the following:

- Cleaned out the fuel tank, as recommended.
- Took the seat and related parts off, and could not for the life of me find any safety switch, nor wiring for that matter. Pretty certain I would've seen it with how many things I took off the tractor to find it!

Ran the tractor again today. And although it didn't die while operating (although I only ran for about 15 minutes) when I stopped it once and went to start it again 2 minutes later, 'check' light was flashing. Placed it in neutral, and it wouldn't go away. Tried off/on several times, then it went away. Steps taken below:

- Each time I turn the key to start I hear a click, return key
- Approx. 5 seconds later, click
- Rinse, repeat

Thanks in advance for any help!

/ Dirt in Fuel Lines - Fuel Tank Needs Cleaning #5  
Is the clicking sound the fuel shut off solenoid opening and closing?

I believe that is the case, yes.

/ Dirt in Fuel Lines - Fuel Tank Needs Cleaning #7  
noggles said:
I believe that is the case, yes.

Ok, do you mean it clicks one time as you turn the key and then nothing? Sorry about leaving you hanging, I missed your reply somehow.

Sorry for going completely dark... Crazy busy, but, I wanted to put a post with the answer out there for anyone with similar problems to mine described above. After extensive troubleshooting, including:

- Testing electrical connections (continuity/voltage): All checked out
- Replaced fuel filter (helped performance), Bled fuel system
- Tinkered with my safety switches, brake and forward/reverse pedals
- Number of other things, bla bla bla, you get the point

The solution was replacing the controller board, which sits behind the instrument panel. Solved the starting problems, randomly dying, all of the above.

/ Dirt in Fuel Lines - Fuel Tank Needs Cleaning #9  
Glad you figured it out.