PTO Wont Engage on 353.

/ PTO Wont Engage on 353. #1  

grayslands

Tractor
TYM 353
Hi all fellow knowledgeable TYM owners !! This is a copy of the query I opened in the General forum, before I knew of this Brand specific one !

"Got relatively new 350 Hrs Tym 353 which has been problem free until...
Did abt 6 hrs slashing in wet paddock, when finished, washed mud and ***** from tractor n slasher with a hose. Went back a week later to do some more and
PTO would not work ( The PTO is normally left in gear and just operates from a push switch on the dash normally). Disengaged PTO From 1 to N, and its now stuck in Neutral.
PTO spindle will turn by hand so presume it is really in N. Does this operate by a solenoid...could that be the problem that ive wet it when hosing down the machine?? where is it, whats it look like etc etc. Most importantly...how do I fix it !!! All help greatly appreciated !!"

/ PTO Wont Engage on 353. #2  
Hi ,I have a 293 purchased new in 2012, since new engaging the pto hasn't been easy.The pto lever get stuck in off most of the time,what I do is left the engine idle, turn the pto switch on a few seconds then turn it off, try the lever if still stuck repeat the process until the lever goes to on position and then turn the pto switch on.Usually it works in the first 2 or 3 tries.This method has been working for me during the past year,hope that helps you.

/ PTO Wont Engage on 353.
Will give that a try...my tractors 2 yrs old now but I would have thought problems such as youve got should be covered under your warranty given the age of your machine ? Id be kicking and screaming here if my new machine required molly coddling like that. Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

/ PTO Wont Engage on 353. #4  
Any luck yet with the PTO?

Absolutely none im afraid...mite be time to get in the fessionals...

/ PTO Wont Engage on 353. #6  
Did the pro's have an answer for you?

Did the pro's have an answer for you?

Bizarrely, I was on the phone to the mechanic as yr msg came in. He is a little puzzled as well as to why it seized...he said it was if the entire shaft had moved marginally to have it happen, yet was unable to find any evidence that the shaft had been under pressure and was consequently warped or bent. We have decided to replace the shaft itself given the drama (and the relatively low cost of the shaft and seals) having pulled the whole thing apart to get a look inside in the first place. Since the PTO Has been engaged in "1" since the day the tractor arrived (and the PTO) just operated from the dash button, the mech said it wouldn't surprise if it had in fact moved on day 1 but only became evident when Ive disengaged it following the initial problem. I know that this is not a very conclusive diagnosis, but this mechanic has a great reputation and is I thk as puzzled as anyone else. As an aside, TYM Aust have been less than helpful in getting replacement parts ( 2wks and counting )which certainly wasn't their story when I bought their tractor in the first place. As the saying here goes "You've gotta line em up with a post to see if they are actually moving...". Ill keep u posted if anything else comes to light. Thks to all for their input on this issue.