273 Drive shaft - Me too!

/ 273 Drive shaft - Me too! #1  

km-ri

All you 273 owners, check the drive shaft between the engine and HST. If you do not have universal joints I strongly recommend getting to your dealer and getting the the new design installed BEFORE the shaft lets go. Notice I said BEFORE. As mentioned in a previous thread the original design of this linkage was based upon three ball bearings used in a sleeve as contact points to transfer the torque of the engine into the HST. Holding the sleeve in place is a sheet metal collar. Not the most robust design. As you might guess mine failed a month ago and I just got my machine back (no fault to my dealer who was great). It took a little time to get the new parts. The new design has fully sealed universal joints. My mechanic says the tranny will go before these do (comforting). The first thing I noticed is the tell tale ringing/rattle I always heard was gone, not sure if they are related.

My machine only had 300 hrs on it and I don't really abuse it. The toughest thing on the drive train is pushing snow with the bucket loader. Well thankfully TYM honored the warranty since I was only in my 4th year. The repair was done for the bubble, but had my hydraulic filter and fluid changed since the dealer had been so helpful. Hope you all can get this resolved before it bites you in the back side. Now if I could get the hydraulic fluid from leaking from the reservoir breather tube when using the backhoe I would be the happiest customer. Right now I catch the fluid in an old water bottle. It works but is a cheesy solution. My buddy who has a green machine gets a chuckle out of the arrangement.

/ 273 Drive shaft - Me too! #2  
You have a photo of your new drive shaft? Or the old one for that matter?

/ 273 Drive shaft - Me too! #3  
I assume the old one looks like this? Has anyone had theirs replaced before failure?

Attachments

• 20130923_184809.jpg
    20130923_184809.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 758
  • 20130923_184800.jpg
    20130923_184800.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 357
   / 273 Drive shaft - Me too! #5  
Hi Km-ri, My 273 is a 2009 model and it has the universal joints. However, I always get that pinging/ringing noise about every 50 hours or so. What that tells me is that it's time for a shot or two of grease in the zerk fittings. Man, the one closest to the hydraulic filter is a bear to get at, but once it gets a touch of grease the noise goes away. It's been like that for 375.5 hours and is still going strong! Knock on wood! Ever since I read about the shaft failures I've been sure to grease those zerks whenever I hear the pinging/rattling. So, don't be surprised if you do hear the noise again, just crawl under and squirt in a shot or two of grease. Best of luck to you. Greg

/ 273 Drive shaft - Me too! #7  
universal joint.jpg

This is what half of mine looked like after it broke on my T233.

/ 273 Drive shaft - Me too! #8  
The attachment to the shaft is similar to an automotive steering shaft,but missing 1 important detail.A steering box shaft has a groove cut round the shaft for the bolt to seat in.Thus keeping the shaft in place. My 233 throws the shaft off all the time.A few times,I put it back on n sometimes it is junk.It sure makes u move fast when it flies off! lol

/ 273 Drive shaft - Me too! #9  
Well the last two posts don't give me a lot of confidence in my recent repairs and new shaft. I knew that there was no groove in the shaft to help retain the shaft. My shaft has no grease fittings the universals are sealed.