What would you add, and why?

/ What would you add, and why? #1  

jrbarnard

Bronze Member
Tractor
None
Ok, I have narrowed my search to a T433. I opted for this over a T503 simply to keep the cost down and be able to afford other things.

So, this is what I was thinking:

T-433
Loader
6" Auger
Trailer
6' Box blade

Now, I figure, if I need one, I can always rent a backhoe, right? The cost of a backhoe adds a lot to the price (not sure what it equates to as far as monthly cost)

--------

This all being said, here is why:

1 - 433 vs 503 - I chose the 433 because I currently use a Mahindra 28hp and a Massey 22hp (?) I think that is what the second one is, on my ranch. They are owned by a couple friends of mine and the 28HP does awesome out there with almost everything we do. The Massey is too light to knock down cedars mostly.. so a 433 would do everything, I think.

6" Auger. drilling holes for posts etc is the hardest thing to do out there. I know this does not have a lot of downward pressure and probably will not cut through limestone, but if we only need to go about a foot in the ground, I figured we could take out time and it would be fine, plus I do not need a grass cutter as we have no real grass.. heh.

I WANT to install a fence (4-strand barbed) and I am hoping that this can do it. I need 1.5" holes about 1 ft down and 2.5" holes about 2-3ft down. Not sure this auger can do either, but it should help us install 4x4 posts 6" in and does not cost a whole lot.

The box blade and loader are pretty standard.

-------------------------------------

Now, all of that aside.. if you had this to do, what would you choose and why?
I thought about a grapple for the front end, to move cedars after they are cut. Cost of those? Worth it?

We always use redneck forklifts as we really do not have to lift more than a deer stand or something... but are forks for the front expensive?

Extra hydraulics?

Thanks for nay input and I am sorry I ask so many questions. I am reading what I can and learning as much as possible from you guys.

Russ

/ What would you add, and why? #2  
Have you considered a post-pounder or are you set on the auger? Ground just too hard?

I'd really like to have a "thumb" grapple on my loader- very handy.

If you aren't using forks much then the clamp-on ones work pretty fine, and can double as a ball-hitch-mount, bale spear, etc.

It never hurts to have factory installed remotes! You never know when you'll need a different implement, or even just a wood splitter or something like that.

/ What would you add, and why? #3  
Grapple.

Prices typically range from 1500-2500 for a tractor like yours. Get the heaviest duty that you can afford and you will never regret it.

My Faver SCX526 LT just arrived last Friday (yes, pics will be posted soon). Go to their website. I like the build quality, and that they have pricing posted for everything they build. I went slightly narrower than my bucket/tractor to get a little more digging power for those pesky rocks I grow around here.

Once attached, the bucket will become a secondary attachment for me...

My .02 of course...

Lunk

/ What would you add, and why?
I had considered a grappler vs a trailer. My truck has a 9200lb max hauling capability and I was thinking, if I cut the trailer out, I could have a friend with a 4x4 diesel come with his 24ft trailer and haul it down there for me. I could spend that money on a grapple instead. (since the tractor really would not be going anywhere after that unless it was broke and then he would be there to help me anyway).

A Post-pounder? I would LOVE to have that instead... just have not seen one that goes on a tractor.

Do you have a link or model # that might work?

Remotes are something people mentioned. How many and where would you have them installed?

I am not versed on all of these, so will research them.

Thank you guys!

Russ

/ What would you add, and why? #5  
I had considered a grappler vs a trailer. My truck has a 9200lb max hauling capability and I was thinking, if I cut the trailer out, I could have a friend with a 4x4 diesel come with his 24ft trailer and haul it down there for me. I could spend that money on a grapple instead. (since the tractor really would not be going anywhere after that unless it was broke and then he would be there to help me anyway).

A Post-pounder? I would LOVE to have that instead... just have not seen one that goes on a tractor.

Remotes are something people mentioned. How many and where would you have them installed?

I am not versed on all of these, so will research them.

Thank you guys!

Russ

If you have a TYM, you should have at least on set of remotes standard IIRC.

One set of two remotes will run a grapple. You also have the option of having the 3rd function kit installed from the Dealer. This diverts pressure from the curl function (again, IIRC), and is activated by the button on your joystick.

I was tempted, but it was another grand that I wanted to invest in implements instead!

Lunk

/ What would you add, and why? #6  

Russ

Shaver is the brand of choice around here. Check out the #8 and #10 models.
A lot of old tractors here have been converted to being first and foremost post-driving machines, with the pounder mounted on the front. For your situation I'd definitely get a loader on the front and pounder on the back. The shaver's I've seen are powered off the rear remotes.

EDIT: I don't actually use one: I have a homemade trailer-ed contraption that works pretty well. If it didn't I would DEFINITELY be getting a 3pt pounder. I already hate the half-dozen or so wood posts I end up putting in by hand every year.

/ What would you add, and why? #7  
If you get an auger then get downforce kit with it.
Buying backhoe togetehr with the tractor is cheaper than adding it later. That is only thing I regret not buying when I bought my tractor.

/ What would you add, and why?
Thanks guys, will add all of this info to my list.

Russ

/ What would you add, and why? #9  
Go to Bailey international website and get your own diverter valve , you can buy hoses and fitting locally or online. I set up a third function up on my T503 for less than 250 bucks, it works like a dream. Purchased a new 72" grapple on Ebay, (the grapple will handle more than the tractor can) which works awesome $1250 free shipping. Also built a tree/post puller that uses the 3rd function., now I never have to get out of the cab to move things or pull out and stack trees, LOL

/ What would you add, and why? #10  
You will want 5/16" chain grab hooks for your bucket.

Ken is a specialty vender in the category. Great product.

Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks <<Home>>

Lowe's and Home Depot have the lowest price on Grade 70 5/16" X 20' "Towing" chain with attached grab hooks on each end. Have the store cut into 8' + 12' lengths in the store. Nearly impossible to cut at home.

Buy two Grade 70 SLIP HOOKS for the new ends.

You will use the 8' length far more than the 12' length.

Attachments

• DSC00062.jpg
    DSC00062.jpg
    1,022.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0559.JPG
    IMG_0559.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0452.JPG
    IMG_0452.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0451.JPG
    IMG_0451.JPG