T273 - Another broken driveshaft/input shaft

/ T273 - Another broken driveshaft/input shaft #1  

myyaz33

Platinum Member
Tractor
TYM T273
I made mention of this topic in a couple other threads but thought it needed its own thread now.

So just over 2 weeks ago (5/30/14), I was helping my cousin prepare for a new lawn with my T273 and KKII tiller. I was approximately 95% done and upon engaging the PTO at a low RPM to begin a new row, I heard a nasty noise coming from directly below my feet. Quickly I was able to kill power to the tractor after disengaging the PTO did not stop noise. With these forums in the back of my mind, I almost knew for certain what the problem was and after laying underneath the tractor and reaching up to the input shaft, my suspicions were confirmed, the drive shaft was spinning on the splines of the HST. The shaft was not actually broken in half as some may have reported rather it was just spinning on the splines. Not a good sign, but I was not able to determine the extent of the damage at the time. Did you know that these machines don't move very far without that shaft? :) Fortunately I had a winch with me and was able to get it on the trailer after 20 minutes or so where it sat for a few days (and where it still sits today 6/16) before I could find time to look deeper into it.
20140616_211651.jpg

Reminder- It was just 5 weeks ago, I called my dealer about the redesigned drive shaft and was told that they have not seem many issues with the drive shafts in the 50 or so units they have sold, so I probably should not be concerned. This directly conflicts with what I am seeing reported here. Now I realize I should have done more to act on this.

The next morning (Saturday) I did get a hold of the dealer that I bought the tractor from to see if they had the drive shaft. Unfortunately the gentlemen that was working was not the fella who knows their TYM line. He was unsure of which part and I needed and needed to call me back but was sure they did not have it in stock. With that, I decided to call another dealer in the area who I have dealt with from time to time and he was able to find the part in stock (North Carolina) not local, so I went ahead and placed the order and called the other dealer back to let him know I sourced the part elsewhere.

A few days later I finally had some time to take a deeper look. The first thing I needed to do was remove the old shaft and to do that I had to drill a hole in the platform on the hump near where your feet rest. It had to be a pretty good size to get the job done, so the hole is around 4 inches or so. It allowed me to get the snap ring pliers in and pull apart the old shaft. All ball bearings were in tact but 2 things stood out quickly as a concern.
1. The splines on the HST are worn badly.
2. The shaft where the ball bearings belong was chipped near the bearing cavity and are likely a huge factor in the failure. What a mickey mouse deal as my father would say.

20140604_172940.jpg
20140601_195759.jpg
20140616_211557.jpg

Without the new part (Bud Soda - will get you the part # when I know) I have no idea if I have enough spline to work with so time will tell on that but it has been over 2 weeks and 2 calls to the dealer and I still have no idea when the part might be here. I was told it is somewhere between Nebraska and North Carolina but at this point, I wonder if NC actually had it or someone might have beat me to it and I am waiting for one from South Korea.

I am in hopes I can get this resolved without breaking the bank and will use this thread to post my progress. Right in line with most others that have posted, my tractor drive shaft failed at 428hrs.

For those that have put off checking their drive shaft, PLEASE do not put it off any longer!

Last edited:
   / T273 - Another broken driveshaft/input shaft #2  
myyazz, as one who also suffered a failure on my T233, I always read posts on this issue and saw your recent article....now I'm worried...again! Are you still under the 5 year power train warranty? IF not, hopefully TYM will step up based on your own experience and that of many others. The splines on the HST shaft are so bad I'm sure that requires replacement and that's a big can of worms. Best of luck...look forward to hearing how you make out.

/ T273 - Another broken driveshaft/input shaft #3  
I have put off using my tractor until I can replace the shaft. Still have not tried to ordered it yet. The TYM plant is just up from the road from me but I still have to go through a dealer for parts.:mad: Bought a Kubota L35 and that is my go to tractor now.

/ T273 - Another broken driveshaft/input shaft #4  
Went ahead and ordered the shaft(part #13182102100) from smith (Smith's Enterprise) Said I would have it in a week( we shall see). Shipping from Wilson NC, about 30 miles from me.
Price $285 plus $18.85 shipping. Does that sound about right?

/ T273 - Another broken driveshaft/input shaft
vabiker23518- Unfortunately I am not under warranty any longer. That said, I certainly expressed my thoughts on the matter to the TYM dealer but they didn't give me much confidence that anything would/could be done. I agree the splines do look bad, so I am preparing myself for that conversation when it comes. It might be one of those opportunities to get creative.

Bud Soda- That is pretty close to price I expect to pay (maybe a little more) once it comes in. I hope you get yours in a timely fashion but the selfish part of me wants you to be first in line after me. :) Being down this time of year is a hard pill to swallow!

/ T273 - Another broken driveshaft/input shaft #6  
Those splines are toast for sure. Hard to tell in the pic but it looks as if they're quite soft by the way they're mushroomed over, doesn't look like an easy fix.

On the same note a somewhat long winded story. Bought my first shaft drive bike quite a few years ago and was looking for the proper lube for the driveshaft splines, same idea as your drive shaft. After reading numerous posts and service manuals the correct lube for a sliding spline is moly lube, Molybdenum-disulfide http://tinyurl.com/qesjl8u . Apparently it bonds to the metal on a molecular level and prevents metal to metal contact, regular grease just won't cut it because of the high surface loads.

Good luck on your fix......Mike

/ T273 - Another broken driveshaft/input shaft #7  
I have a broken drive shaft on a T233 also. Been at the dealer for repair for 2 months. Took it there because I still had some warranty left. The dealer has it repaired but has been waiting for a hydraulic filter order for a month and a half. Sounds like TYM is having parts and supplies problems. The dealer says they are not getting any answers from TYM regarding supply. I hope TYM will step up and resolve their supply problems.

/ T273 - Another broken driveshaft/input shaft
I have a broken drive shaft on a T233 also. Been at the dealer for repair for 2 months. Took it there because I still had some warranty left. The dealer has it repaired but has been waiting for a hydraulic filter order for a month and a half. Sounds like TYM is having parts and supplies problems. The dealer says they are not getting any answers from TYM regarding supply. I hope TYM will step up and resolve their supply problems.

If that is all you are waiting on to get going again, I would see if you can just get a Napa/Wix filter and move on. The cross references are on this site. I can't imagine a non TYM filter should affect the warranty?

I sure hope there is not a supply issue, but another day has passed and all I have heard is crickets! Well, actually not crickets, my dealer has also eluded to the fact that TYM has not been responsive to the request for information on the delivery of the part.

/ T273 - Another broken driveshaft/input shaft #9  
If that is all you are waiting on to get going again, I would see if you can just get a Napa/Wix filter and move on. The cross references are on this site. I can't imagine a non TYM filter should affect the warranty?

I sure hope there is not a supply issue, but another day has passed and all I have heard is crickets! Well, actually not crickets, my dealer has also eluded to the fact that TYM has not been responsive to the request for information on the delivery of the part.

I would not wait on the filter. I can pick up fuel, oil and hydro filters local. Napa, Wix, or Carquest.

/ T273 - Another broken driveshaft/input shaft #10  
So in my case it has been a week and the shaft still has not shipped from TYM. I called the dealer that ordered it for me and told him that my credit card has not been charged and I have not received the drive shaft. He called tym and they said the shaft is in stock and it will ship out today. I told him I would go pick it up as I am just 30 miles from where it will ship from. Dealer said no it has to be drop shipped to me. Will give it another week I guess. Turns out the shaft is $235 not $285 like I was told the first time.