TYM T353 Engine Cover Latch Problems

/ TYM T353 Engine Cover Latch Problems #1  

wwalker1959

Tractor
TYM T353 HST
I have a T353 with 125 hours on it and am having difficulty with the engine cover latch being difficult to operate. Since I am working in very dusty conditions I am opening the cover to clean filters quite often. The latch mechanism is getting dirty along with everything else and is difficult to operate. The lever arm connected to the cable is very short and requires alot of pressure to open the latch. My concern is if the cable ever brakes there is not an access to the latch without cutting a hole in the cover or base in order to acess the trip lever with a rod or screw driver. I have been blowing the mechanism clean with compressed air and lubing it with a dry silicone since oil or grease just traps more dirt and sand.

Does anyone have any experience with this or any suggestions?

Thanks

/ TYM T353 Engine Cover Latch Problems #2  
I agree the latch mechanism is difficult to operate, I do the same thing as you to try and keep it operating when I need to open it. I wonder if using a short rod (1/2" rebar) through the ring to push straight down would make it easier to open? Is there anything sturdy enough around the ring to lever the rebar against? Pre-cutting the access underneath would sure help if it ever does break!

/ TYM T353 Engine Cover Latch Problems
I plan on extending the attachment of the cable out another inch or so and changing the angle of the cable to increase the leverage. I also plan on drilling a small hole directly below the latch to use a pry rod in case of emergency!

All in all I'm still impressed with the overall quality of the tractor. The few things I have found like this are not major but could pose a great pain in the rear if not paid attention to before they fail.

/ TYM T353 Engine Cover Latch Problems #4  
I know this is an old post but I had the exact same issue so I thought I'd add this. I tried the dry lube and blowing out with air but it always was an issue. After the last time it locked up and I had to cut through the grill to get the thing open, I found a better way. I finally fixed it by removing the latch and then bending the bottom tabs on the latch box down so they are open. Thus all the dust falls through so the latch arms can move down. There was so little clearance that the slightest dust would lock it up. Still tough to open but it does open and I don't have to constantly blow it out. Hope that helps.

/ TYM T353 Engine Cover Latch Problems #5  
Thanks Eddie, I'll look at that tomorrow.

/ TYM T353 Engine Cover Latch Problems #6  
I know this is an old post but I had the exact same issue so I thought I'd add this. I tried the dry lube and blowing out with air but it always was an issue. After the last time it locked up and I had to cut through the grill to get the thing open, I found a better way. I finally fixed it by removing the latch and then bending the bottom tabs on the latch box down so they are open. Thus all the dust falls through so the latch arms can move down. There was so little clearance that the slightest dust would lock it up. Still tough to open but it does open and I don't have to constantly blow it out. Hope that helps.
Can you tell me how to pop the latch from cutting a hole in the plastic grill.

/ TYM T353 Engine Cover Latch Problems #7  
Can you tell me how to pop the latch from cutting a hole in the plastic grill.
Jerzen, it's been awhile but if I recall correctly because the hood is somewhat flexible I was able to squeeze my hand under the hood on the passenger's side and remove the nuts holding on the side grill. Then I was able to access the latch. I think they are 10mm nuts, but not sure. I'll try to get a picture for you later today.

Last edited:
   / TYM T353 Engine Cover Latch Problems #8  
Jerzen here is a picture of the grill from inside the hood. You can see there are 6 bolts holding it on, but it think I only removed the 2 in the middle and the 2 lower ones. That may have been because I couldn't reach the top 2, or my impatience because I did crack the grill. Though the crack was minor, had I removed all 6 bolts it would not have cracked.
Good luck with getting yours fixed.

Attachments

• tractor hood 1.jpeg
    tractor hood 1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 35