Anyone pull a subsoiler with their T233/T273/T293 ?

/ Anyone pull a subsoiler with their T233/T273/T293 ? #1  

myyaz33

Platinum Member
Tractor
TYM T273
Was just curious if anyone has pulled a homemade or purchased subsoiler with their K2 series TYM? I am curious about the type of soil it may have been used on as well as if you are using the standard R4 tread.

/ Anyone pull a subsoiler with their T233/T273/T293 ? #2  
Hello myyaz33,
I have a woods subsoiler [ripper shank & potato plow attachment] & pulled it with my 273 quite a few times. My soil is extremely hard clay, I have R4 industrial tires and I had little trouble with it.
When ever I caught a root, sometimes I'd back up and ram it forwards a few times or just raise it a tad to get over and continue on. Of course, I would go back several times along the trench to ensure wherever there was a root it got broken. Usually, I just used the ripper first - then put on the potato plow and ran my trench. It works quite well. And, of course, I always run it fully down as deep as the 3pt will go - approx 16". If soil is slightly damp, it pulls much easier of course. Here, I'd wet the area first sometimes - but not always. Just a matter of length of trench or time to get-er-in.
That and box-blade usage are probably some of the more serious strains I've put on my weak arsed input shaft though! Har! Greg

/ Anyone pull a subsoiler with their T233/T273/T293 ?
Thank for replying Greg. Hearing your use cases I have some confirmation that traction should not be a big issue especially since my soil is not terribly hard. I am going to build a subsoiler to pull some cables underground around the place and was just curious about other K2 owner experiences. I don't really have many roots but one thing I thought was to sharpen the front of the shank/bar to try and cut the roots as it goes. I see most of the 3pt commercial ones have a flat face. Anyway, thanks for the input.

/ Anyone pull a subsoiler with their T233/T273/T293 ? #4  
No problem Myyaz33,
I hope it all works out for you. I've seen those cable pulling devices and you should have no problem with it. I always used the FWA though, all 4 tires pulling works best for me. I've never had the occasion to use that direct bury cable; gophers will eat through the line sooner or later - I always put in pvc and run line through that. Hope all goes well.

Question - You live in Nebraska, does it get below freezing there? Reason I ask is because [before I got side-tracked with the Input shaft issue] I had been flushing out my radiator & block with some cleaner - I premixed up solution for -40 deg to better combat the overheat issues I often have, and the book says it takes approx 2.5 gallons, well I only was able to put in 1 gal before the radiator was full. I've looked all over the block and see no drain-cock (like in auto's) - how do you fellows get the block completely drained to ensure you have an adequate below zero mix in the system? My manual shows only the radiator drain - which I completely screwed out of the radiator - but it only drained the rad. Am I - again -missing something? Thanks for any advice you proffer!

I also wanted to address the dad-gumed battery replacement issue that frequently pops up! I replaced my battery at my 450 hr service also. I simply took the original with me to NAPA and we matched it for size/post location. It was a Legend 7551, $109.00, & works perfectly! The only draw back is that it doesn't have a handle to lift in and out. I just bought a battery strap for that purpose and off to the races I went. So, ZTsomethin (I forget the spelling now) is absolutely correct as he stated that was the battery they always used.

Happy Subsoiling Myyaz33, Greg

Well here is what I have built so far. Will probably need to do some reinforcement braces, but close to being done. Everything except the pins and quick attach ears built from scrap material I had lying around. Hope to finish under $30.

As far as the antifreeze block drain, i have never done so and only top off the fluid with what I use in my pickup. 50/50 premix good to -30 or -40. Yes it freezes here! :)

-Marty

Attachments

• subsoiler.jpg
    subsoiler.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 131
   / Anyone pull a subsoiler with their T233/T273/T293 ? #6  
Looks good Marty. You shouldn't have any problems with pulling it. Make sure you've gotten a good bead/reinforcements on the side attached to the ripper bar; the way it's designed it'll be straining against the weld and might want to pop loose. But, probably won't. Greg

Got a little more welding done and hooked it up tonight for a test run since we got some rain lately. Sunk down to about 12 inches right away and pulled with ease leaving only a minimal amount of damage. Looking good so far. With do some more welding and give it a better test run soon.