Hyd Oil Level Sight Glass

/ Hyd Oil Level Sight Glass #1  

Gregster613

Platinum Member
Southern Ca. halfway up a mountain in rural Ramona
Tractor
273 TYM. 2009 //Yardmachines 7 Speed Shift-on-the-goScotts L2048
Howdy fellow TYM owners, I hope all had Happy Holidays and will have a Superb New Year!

I have a question regarding a leaky sight glass. I follow/read all threads on TYM so I know this subject has been discussed before. After 5 years mine has begun to seep/leak. I have no new replacement unit to pop in.

I will try "once again" to locate a dealer for getting a new glass; however, in the meantime I wonder if just removing the old one, cleaning excessively, and using silicone when putting it back in might work? I remember reading that silicone was suggested when putting in a new replacement (that I don't have) and I'm open to ideas! I just don't see why it wouldn't work? Thoughts? Suggestions as to any particular/special type of silicone to use? It will have to be able to handle hydraulic fluid I know. I am a little leery of popping it out and making things worse, but I really have no other choice at this time.

Speaking of popping it out, what method did those of you who've done this use? A flat screwdriver? Pliers? In the service manual it looks as though it just slides into a tight hole like a bushing on a shaft or a wheel bearing into its race? I surely don't want to damage the one that's seeping if I have no replacement on hand! Then I will be in a pickle. I probably won't even have the proper size cork around as a back-up since I won't know the hole size until I get the old glass out!?

I know that I'd like to have a replacement on-hand prior to proceeding with this procedure {Bud Soda, are you listening and still active on TBN?} but I don't. Regardless of whether my attempt to fix works, I still plan to acquire a new one just to have on-hand anyhow. That's why I'm posting - ideas, suggestions, tactics, solutions....
Thanks for listening, Greg

/ Hyd Oil Level Sight Glass #2  
I replaced mine but I don't remember if i had any issues taking it out. Don't think I did. I'd think you could probably get away with parking downhill, removing the old one, doing a thorough cleaning and silicone the same one back in like you mentioned. Just leave it downhill until the silicone cures well.

If you have any problems getting one, let me know. My dealer had them in stock if i recall.

/ Hyd Oil Level Sight Glass #3  
Raise the loader and the three point, that should lower the level out of sight.

If you don't have a safety brace for the loader, make one from an angle iron to fit on the lift cylinder.

/ Hyd Oil Level Sight Glass
myyaz33, Thank you for the quick response. I remember reading about the downhill nose angle to reduce leakage; I had that already planned. But, that leaves me with my machine left outside the garage if something goes wrong!

Which is why I'm asking questions per this procedure prior to beginning it. I am really interested in the actual removal process itself...any tips on how to begin? I.E...Just twist/turn/pull on the old sight glass? With pliers? Locking pliers? Flat screwdriver and press/pry side-by-side? Remember, I don't have a replacement and don't want to damage/destroy the old one!?

A side note...if you are willing to procure it, I will send you a PM and ask you if your dealer can get me (2) sight glasses. I see this as an occasionally re-occurring problem and would like to be prepared in advance. Same thing I was going to ask of Bud Soda if he chimed in. All I want is a replacement part (or 2) in-hand prior to beginning possible destructive actions in repairs. Your reply will direct my further actions. Thank you in advance. Greg

Xfaxman, I appreciate the advice. I hadn't thought about raising the loader also, but it does make sense! It would expend some juice through the rams. I had figured on raising the 3-pt, but didn't think of the loader also! Good tip that I would have over-looked! I appreciate it.
Thanks, Greg

/ Hyd Oil Level Sight Glass #5  
The site glass on my T293 was leaking when I got the tractor, so the dealer sent me a new one. But, you're right in that it really didn't need replacing, just sealed better. So, following my dealer's advice, I parked the tractor down-hill on a slope, gently pried the site glass out using a small screwdriver, cleaned up the hole with some gasoline on a shop rag, and put the new site glass in using Permatex Ultra Black silicone I bought from my local auto parts store. It was very easy to do and I haven't had one drip since fixing it!

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear HFEC! Thank you for the info on what you did and how you did it. I was curious as how to work the old one out "without" damage. Now I'm way more confident to tackle this relatively easy repair. I just need to pick up some black silicone next time i'm at the auto parts store. Will do so in a day or two. Greg

/ Hyd Oil Level Sight Glass #7  
You're welcome! One other thing (probably obvious, so apologies ahead of time) is to make sure and let the Permatex cure for a couple hours before you move the tractor off the down slope.

Well, I got to changing it out today. Fairly easy procedure but...you guys didn't mention at all just how much fluid would come shooting out!

I backed up (on a down-slope) onto a couple of railroad ties, raised the loader fully, curled the bucket portion (bucket removed to ease the weight level), fully extended my 3 pt hyd side arm, and "eased" out the sight glass - "which turns out to be nothing more than a plastic/rubber approx 1" plug" - and holy-cow, out shoots a steady stream of hyd juice! I quickly shove the plug back in and run get my drain pan! My fault, I should have planned better and been properly prepared - duh on me! - I collected approx 3 - 4 gallons of juice!

This is a job best done when one is changing out the Hyd fluid, I now know. My gauge was showing juice right at the full (H) line prior to my placing it downhill and up on RR ties too? It didn't seem to drop much - if any at all? I reckon that should have been my 1st main clue to go get a drain-pan!! Dumb on me. Unless I was severely overfull? I don't know how you guys did it without losing a lot of juice either? I'm not complaining, just commenting. You all must have some "very" steep hills? Anyhow, now I how all about this problem area also!

At any rate, I decided to leave it sit overnight to fully cure the silicone prior to bringing it off of my "obviously" far too slim RR ties!! Haw!! Then I will re-fill it to what the old gauge reads as high level. I am going to need to procure a new replacement gauge before I do this again because I just know that I'll break it if I try to remove another time. But, Hey - that silly thing can't cost more than a couple of bucks? Could it? It's a pretty basic see-through plug is all. Couldn't cost more than a letter costs to send through the mail. If any of you have a dealer that has any -- please buy two and I'll gladly buy them from you and give you a dollar each for the postage - which should cost a 0.45 cent stamp!

Thanks to all for the confidence building advice. Greg

/ Hyd Oil Level Sight Glass #9  
WOW!! That didn't happen with mine at all. My T293 was new from TYM in North Carolina this past May, shipped to my dealer, then I picked it up from them. When I changed out my sight glass, with the tractor down hill, the hydraulic fluid was just below the hole, so I didn't have any drip out. Maybe yours was overfilled...?
BTW - if you need parts, I haven't had any issue getting them from my dealer, Ross Agri-Mechanics in Zanesville, Ohio. They have been absolutely great to work with!

/ Hyd Oil Level Sight Glass #10  
I changed mine out about three years ago. Now it is leaking again. Tractor has about 700 hours now. I did use rtv on it but I guess the cold temps we have hardened the rubber. I may just thread the hole and put a pipe plug in it.