fuel pump problem?

/ fuel pump problem? #1  

TYMinColton

Gold Member
Tractor
2008 TYM T273 w/ FEL - 100 hrs, 1962ish Ford 881D project - hrs unknown
Hi, all,

I've posted some related electrical issues on another thread, but this specifically refers to the fuel pump (DAE WHA 1699-2052-300). The question is simple. If I disconnect the pump from it's connector and place 12V (from a battery) across the appropriate terminals, should it turn on? Does it make a noise when it's running? Currently, if I do this I hear nothing. If I place a light bulb tester in the circuit it lights, but still nothing from the pump.

I was quoted $135.91 for a replacement. Not sure if this is a reasonable price or not, but I want to be absolutely sure the beast is dead.

Thanks for reading.
Pete

Attachments

• fuel pump.JPG
    fuel pump.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,415
   / fuel pump problem? #2  
I got my pump at a local auto parts store for around 50 bucks

/ fuel pump problem?
ALKY - Care to share a store name and part number? Is the pump a direct replacement part for the TYM part from Dae Wha (i.e. cross-listed)? I'm about to pop the cover on the pump electronics to see if it can be fixed, but I'm guessing it's a solid state pump. I'll post pics if anyone's interested

Pete

/ fuel pump problem?
Egads! Not exactly what I expected. The good news is (was) it's not solid state. The bad news is it's encased in epoxy. It's like looking at a prehistoric mosquito trapped in a chunk of amber. Without a dremel tool, some patience, and luck, this is probably all she wrote. RIP little fuel pump. . .

Gonna miss you :drool:(

Attachments

• FuelPump3.JPG
    FuelPump3.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:
   / fuel pump problem? #5  
I took my old pump n showed the guy @ the parts counter & he found a close match. not identical but it works!:thumbsup:

/ fuel pump problem? #6  
After replacing my pump a couple of years ago I found a "MR. Gasket" brand small electric universal fuel pump made for diesel at my local farm store. It was less than $80 and I'm sure it is less on line some where. The diesel one is green as opposed to yellow the gasoline rated ones. That and a couple of hose barb fitting and you would be good to go.
If mine ever goes again this will be my fix.

/ fuel pump problem? #7  
It should turn on and pump fuel back to the tank. I think any small 12V pump with the same size lines will work. I is not a high pressure pump. All it dose it prime fuel to the injector pump. If the tank was full gravity would probably carry fuel to the injector pump.

/ fuel pump problem?
Cool. I was coming to the same conclusion about the use of alternative 12V pumps. You are also correct about priming without a pump. Gravity, particularly when the tank is full can get er done. It just seems to take a whole lot of cranking to get her to fully fire.
Thanks Bud!
Pete

/ fuel pump problem?

Attachments

• fuel pump.JPG
    fuel pump.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 541
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    2.9 KB · Views: 844
   / fuel pump problem?
Success!!

After replacing the fuel pump, and basically the entire glow plug system, she's cranked right up without a fuss. I will tell you that the pump is not an exact fit, and the mounting holes do not line up with bracket on the tractor. In my case the bracket is broken anyway, so I'm holding things together with tie wraps, but otherwise the pump seems fine. If you do go this route you will need to swap connectors. I just cut the wires and soldered the correct set of leads. Quick and easy.

Pete