tym t273 not starting!!!!!

/ tym t273 not starting!!!!! #1  

patmanhaigh

Tractor
tym 273
ok guys,

so I have a t273 and love it. but since this last winter I have been fighting to get the little bugger started. once it is started for the day it will re start later with no issues.. I have been shooting a little shot of starter fluid in the air cleaner to get it going ( I know not good for it) only if I absolutely need the tractor for the day until I get this figured out.

I have replaced the glow plug relay.
when I turn the key to the left the glow plug symbol comes on....stays on for a bit....then goes off....I have 12 volts at each glow plug connection....
when I turn key to the right I can hear fuel pump clicking ....when I try to start it just turns over and bellows black smoke out....

if it is warm outside it may start if it is cool at all no way....

Please help guys I am no mechanic by any means that's why im turning to the experts... thanks guys in advance for any of your help

/ tym t273 not starting!!!!! #2  
Sound like you got water in the fuel system. I would drain fuel
tank. Replace fuel filter. Also replace your water seperator if present..
just a thought. Hope its help.

so I have a t273 and love it. but since this last winter I have been fighting to get the little bugger started. once it is started for the day it will re start later with no issues.. I have been shooting a little shot of starter fluid in the air cleaner to get it going ( I know not good for it) only if I absolutely need the tractor for the day until I get this figured out.

I have replaced the glow plug relay.
when I turn the key to the left the glow plug symbol comes on....stays on for a bit....then goes off....I have 12 volts at each glow plug connection....
when I turn key to the right I can hear fuel pump clicking ....when I try to start it just turns over and bellows black smoke out....

if it is warm outside it may start if it is cool at all no way....

Please help guys I am no mechanic by any means that's why im turning to the experts... thanks guys in advance for any of your help[/QUOTE]

/ tym t273 not starting!!!!! #3  
I would say a bad glow plug or three.

/ tym t273 not starting!!!!! #4  
Definitely sounds like a bad glow plug or two, but the timer relay seems to be working. The coil indicator will light as long as one of the plug is still able to complete the circuit. You can remove the metal harness that connects the plugs and test each to see if there is measurable resistance. I'm betting you'll find the culprit.

As BudSoda posted on another thread, try these guys. Considerable savings over OEM and work great.
Amazon.com: NGK (6528) Y114T Glow Plug, Pack of 1: Automotive

/ tym t273 not starting!!!!! #5  
Try jumping with a good battery when cold. The stock bats weaken quickly. I keep mine on a battery maintenance charger during the cold months and it starts fine.

/ tym t273 not starting!!!!! #6  
Another thing to look at - are your battery terminals tight? Mine were tight at the battery, but not to the cable. When I cranked everything tight I was able to get a much more robust start. Assuming the loose terminal wasn't carrying the amperage to the starter. Unfortunately, TYM ships these little tractors with low-end, replacement style battery terminal cables. I had to replace mine a few years into ownership. Assumed it was a dead battery - but found out it was the terminals.