273 died

/ 273 died #1  

Bud Soda

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 5000, 3000
While using loader tractor shut down. No power to switch or anything. Didn't have a meter with me to check. Manual says three 50 amp fuses in wiring harness. I know one is near the battery. Anyone know where the other two are?

Plan on going back to the farm with a meter Saturday to see if I can find the problem. Sure it has something to do with wiring rubbing the chassis while I was using the loader.

/ 273 died #2  
I think you hit the nail. Have you already addressed the wiring harness issue at the bottom of the firewall? Check there first if not. Mine fried there a couple years back.

/ 273 died
I thought I fixed the wiring problem a few years ago. At that time it was blowing a 7.5 amp fuse and the tractor would shut down but I still had power to the dash panel, switch, etc. This time all the fuses in the panel are good and there in no power to anything. Probably one of the big fuses in the wiring harness but I don't know where they are located.

/ 273 died #4  
Not familiar with your tractor but I had a fuse link go in one that did the same thing. Once I found it I replaced it with an inline fuse.

/ 273 died
Turned out to be a 40A fuse taped to the wiring harness under the dash. None to be found so I took it apart, bridged it with solder and put it back in. Don't know why it blew but was probably wiring. I didn't find any bad spots but I pulled the wiring harness away from the firewall some.

/ 273 died #6  
Turned out to be a 40A fuse taped to the wiring harness under the dash. None to be found so I took it apart, bridged it with solder and put it back in. Don't know why it blew but was probably wiring. I didn't find any bad spots but I pulled the wiring harness away from the firewall some.

Carry a fire extinguisher rated for electrical.....

/ 273 died #7  
Hi Bud, Glad you found it, but what a pain it must be to remove the dash panel? I haven't yet had to dissemble mine - but suppose sooner or later I'll need to. Any tips on the procedure? Thanks, Greg

/ 273 died
Hi Bud, Glad you found it, but what a pain it must be to remove the dash panel? I haven't yet had to dissemble mine - but suppose sooner or later I'll need to. Any tips on the procedure? Thanks, Greg

Not hard at all. Three screws, two bolts. Just needed to bring the bottom back enough to get to the wiring harness. The worse part was working on it in the 90f hot sun.

/ 273 died #9  
Bud, To remove the entire dash assembly, don't you need to pull the steering wheel and then the ignition switch assembly also? And how are the gauges inserted in there? I get nervous when there are bunches of electrical items attached with the dis-assembly of a component. Probably shouldn't, but I just do! Thanks, Greg

/ 273 died
Bud, To remove the entire dash assembly, don't you need to pull the steering wheel and then the ignition switch assembly also? And how are the gauges inserted in there? I get nervous when there are bunches of electrical items attached with the dis-assembly of a component. Probably shouldn't, but I just do! Thanks, Greg

Didn't have to remove the top part of the dash where the gauges are, just the bottom part. If you ever have to get to those fuses or the relays for the cruse control or pto you can get to them through the bottom panel (left side) without removing the wheel and taking the top part of the dash off. May can get to the glow plug timer through the bottom also but I am not sure as I have not had to replace it yet. I do need to work on my tach and see what is causing it to read so high. I am sure the whole dash will have to come off for that.