TYM 390 Clutch??Problems?

/ TYM 390 Clutch??Problems? #1  

geoexchange

Tractor
1972 MF40
I bought a used TYM 390 and have been using it for about 6 months. Mostly mowing, some FEL/barn cleaning. It has never seen rough use, I bought it from a gun club that I belong to and it was mostly used to pull a small bush hog.

Without warning, I started to get a howling noise while the clutch is down, or while releasing the clutch when shuttle is in forward or reverse and in gear only. It is very difficult to put in forward/reverse, and the tractor wants to move before the lever is all the way forward or back with the clutch engaged. I'm going to check the clutch adjustment, but the howling noise tells me it's more than that...

Sounds like maybe a throw-out bearing or clutch to me, but I really don't know.

If it's the clutch, how hard is it to change for someone with mechanical skills? The idea of spending a couple thousand on it doesn't appeal to me. To say I'm heartbroken is an understatement. I saved a long time to buy this tractor, and it is a great machine other than this problem.

Questions are:

1. Does it sound like a clutch or throwout bearing?
2. How hard is it to change (I know that's subjective)? Does it include splitting the tractor?

Thanks!

/ TYM 390 Clutch??Problems? #2  
Yes you will have to split the tractor and support both halves. This has to be done on a level flat area. It does not sound good. How many hours on the tractor. You may want to post in the parts & repairs forum. They get more activity there than in the TYM forum. Hopefully it is just an adjustment. Usually when the clutch goes the tractor will not move.