Loader Loader valve control handle

/ Loader valve control handle #1  

Gregster613

Platinum Member
Southern Ca. halfway up a mountain in rural Ramona
Tractor
273 TYM. 2009 //Yardmachines 7 Speed Shift-on-the-goScotts L2048
Hi fellow TYM'rs, I was doing quite a bit of loader work this weekend, and over the last few months, I've noticed that my controls are becoming sluggish, slow, stiff - even after plenty of warm up - and sometimes they continue to move slight amounts after the stick is stopped (particularly when I curl down).

I have removed the rubber boot, squirted lube in all over the mechanism, but don't know how to actually get it into the cables running to the valve assembly itself. This is where I suspect the drag to located. In the past I have had my loader not want to go into or out of float and I have removed the valve end-cap to free up and put in fresh grease. I have zero problems with the float mechanism now; so I assume it's working correctly.

Have any of you had problems with your handle/cables binding up?? If so, what have you done to free it all up? It's not frozen solid, just stiff, sluggish, difficult to finely maneuver the bucket/loader.
\
I would sure appreciate some suggestions. Thanks, Greg

/ Loader valve control handle #2  
Have the same problem for a few years now. Worse when it's cold outside. Problem is rust in the cables I do believe. My tractor sits outside in wet weather a lot. DB blaster helps. I will probably get around to replacing the cable assy one of these days.

/ Loader valve control handle
Hi Bud, Thanks for the input; yes it's more noticeable when it gets colder. Mine sits inside however, so I hadn't really thought about rust. I have power-washed it several times though. Mostly when it was still new and I wanted to keep it all clean; I've since realized that a dirty tractor is a working tractor. Ha!
I wondered about getting some type of spray lube into those cables, just haven't figured out a way to do it. I'm reassured insomuch as at least it isn't just mine that's acting sluggish.
Thanks, Greg

/ Loader valve control handle #4  
Have you removed the caps on the bottom of the spools?
Often moisture condensates and rusts the springs (and detents)... that can make the valve stick..

[edit]...sorry just re-read the full OP and saw where you have done this...[/edit]

Last edited:
   / Loader valve control handle #6  
My control was cracking the fender,so I reinforced it and works much better now

/ Loader valve control handle
Hi /Pine, To be totally clear on the loader valve; I haven't re-moved the caps and refreshed the inner mechanism in quite some time. Since I have no problems going into or out of float I assumed that all was well inside the valve itself. ?? Is my assumption perhaps incorrect? Thanks, Greg

/ Loader valve control handle #8  
Have you removed the caps on the bottom of the spools?
Often moisture condensates and rusts the springs (and detents)... that can make the valve stick..

Darn holes in caps over spools...after taking mine apart / cleaning out rust/ lube- I got a couple rubber trailer ball covers and slid them over caps to keep moisture out ( squirt a little Fluid Film in holes every so often too)

/ Loader valve control handle #9  
Gregster613: I am trying to figure out what we are talking about. Are you talking the joystick?

/ Loader valve control handle #10  
Gregster613: I am trying to figure out what we are talking about. Are you talking the joystick?

He is actually talking about the loader valve which is underneath your right foot. Its where the linkage from the joystick leads too. There are some caps that can be removed and that is what they are discussing might need cleaning.