Driveshaft

/ Driveshaft #1  

CDR

Bronze Member
Tractor
TYM 273
My new style driveshaft on my 273 broke tonight while tilling. U-joint tore out of the rear yoke. Anyone else have this happen with the new style shaft?
Does anyone now the current price? Is Smith Enterprise still a good place to order from on the East Coast?

Thanks in advance!!

/ Driveshaft #2  
I had not heard of a failure on the 3rd version of the shaft (2nd re-design). Were you low RPM when you engaged? As far as I know Smith is still a good internet friendly dealer. I think it was $230 or so if i recall correctly.

/ Driveshaft
Always throttle down when engaging. I'm not sure the tilling had much to do with it. I hope to get it out tonight and examine it and see if it looks like it has been cracked for while or if it is a fresh break,
I called a dealer here in NYS yesterday afternoon and ordered one. It's coming out of NC should be here tomorrow with express shipping . It was 238 and change plus shipping.

I'll let you know when I get to loo at it what the break looks like,

Thanks!!

/ Driveshaft #4  
Is this the original drive shaft or had it already been replaced once?

/ Driveshaft
This a replacement. My first one was the straight one with no u joints. Went out 3 weeks out of warranty and wiped out the input shaft on the pump.

i got the shaft out in about 10 minutes tonight, Here are some pictures. P5120004.JPGP5120002.JPGP5120003.JPG

/ Driveshaft #6  
Well glad you are going again but I hope that your case is isolated and we all don't see failures on the redesigned shaft. I am no expert but looking at those pictures really makes we wonder if it was a design or material flaw.

10 minutes is fast!!

/ Driveshaft
Got the new shaft in place. It comes with out pinch bolt so I used the old ones. Of course 1 snapped probably from over stressed when the shaft broke. So got it out wit an extractor. Will have t0 go to the farm store in the morning for metric bolts.
The shaft is just a little different in design than the last. Nothing that looks like it would be better probably just a different supplier.

One thought I had on why it may have broken. When they had to replace the input shaft on the pump when the first shaft went out and they had the pump all apart. I wonder if they monkeyed with the relief valve and upped the pressure so it is over straining the shaft when to push it to hard. Any thoughts on this theory.

/ Driveshaft #8  
A tiller and a auger probably put the most strain on the pump and drive shaft.