Steering problem

/ Steering problem #1  

aspg4

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey Fergerson 135, TYM 554
Have T554 with about 30 hours. When the steering wheel is turned there is a slight whining noise, and when first started the wheels are very hard to turn. After moving the tractor a few feet it steers normally, but still has the whining noise. Fluid levels are normal. Dealer is coming soon to take it to shop, but when the problem was explained to him he did not know what might be causing the problem...

/ Steering problem #2  
Did it just start doing it in cold weather?

/ Steering problem
No, it has been doing it since summer. I forgot that I had posted the almost same post on 5-31-2016. Memory fades as old age comes along ( it got here sooner than I expected). It seems that the wheels are hard to turn after the tractor has not been sitting and not used for several weeks, but the whining goes on all the time.

/ Steering problem #4  
The "whine" is most likely a pressure relief valve that is open for some reason.

Take a short piece of vinyl tubing or rubber hose, hold one end to your ear and use the other end to pinpoint where the wine is coming from.

/ Steering problem #5  
Their is no pressure relief in the steering system. It will wine when turned to full lock but should be fairly silent under normal operation. I'd have the dealer look at it, might be the pump.

/ Steering problem
Their is no pressure relief in the steering system. It will wine when turned to full lock but should be fairly silent under normal operation. I'd have the dealer look at it, might be the pump.

It whines when the wheel is turned just a short distance. The dealer is coming to pick it up to replace the dash (hour meter), so I am going to get him to take a look... The dash must have a defect because I have seen two other new tractors with the same problem. The dash is black and all that can be seen on the screen is the amount of fuel.

/ Steering problem
After dealer said he was not sure what was causing the steering problem, I called Gerald at TYM in NC, and explained the problem to him. He said they had an engineer from Korea in the plant that day, and he would talk to him about the problem. Tym then called the dealer and told them to replace the steering pump. Got the tractor back and so far all is well. Dealer also replaced the dash meter that had turned almost completely black.

Last edited:
   / Steering problem #8  
My dash panel is giving trouble also. Started from the first time I used it. Cableas is going to replace it as soon as I get it to them. I also noticed that when the loader bucket is full the wheels are hard to turn unless the tractor is moving.

/ Steering problem
Which TYM do you have? I have seen several that have had the dash problem. I called TYM once before about the dash, and was told that they had made a change in the design. Said could tell the new dash by the part number on the back of the panel. Might have Cableas check to make sure they install the updated part. My steering problem occurred after the tractor had been sitting for a week or more, and then when tractor was started you could hardly turn the wheel, but after the tractor was moved a few feet the steering returned to normal except it had a slight whine when the wheel was turned. Good luck...

/ Steering problem #10  
Cabelas LM45H Same as a TYM T454 but has a woods loader. How doe your tractor turn with a bucket load of dirt? I have to be rolling for my steering wheel to turn with a full bucket. I just don't think thats right.