Hard shifting gears on 2017 tym 394 hst

/ Hard shifting gears on 2017 tym 394 hst #1  

chartersj

Tractor
john deere stx38
Does anyone else with a tym 394 have a hard time shifting between low/med/high? Have tried bumping forward and back, rev up and down and nothing seems to help. Eventually it will shift but seems very hard. Our last tractor (2014 kubota 2920 hst) shifted very smooth between gears. It only has 49 hrs on it will it get easier after some use?

/ Hard shifting gears on 2017 tym 394 hst #2  
My 1993 Ford 1920 has over 1000 hours and it does not shift easy. Sometime double clutching makes it much smoother. I don't change ranges that often. Mostly in med range.

Last edited:
   / Hard shifting gears on 2017 tym 394 hst #3  
Have you created dust operating a Bush Hog? You may need to use compressed air to blow dust out of mechanical linkage, then lube with a wax based dry lubricant which will not accumulate dust.

With an HST sometimes a little pump pressure remains immobilizing transmission range change, until opposite pedal is applied slightly, to remove pressure. But apparently you have tried this.

Last edited:
   / Hard shifting gears on 2017 tym 394 hst #4  
Jeff is right. Bump the pedals.

/ Hard shifting gears on 2017 tym 394 hst #5  
Hard on the T503 at times too, just hold a little tension on the handle and bump the pedals, might take a couple of bumps. If you are on the slightest incline it takes a little more effort. Once you figure it out it gets easier.

/ Hard shifting gears on 2017 tym 394 hst
Yeah bumping from forward to reverse doesn't seem to help. We have been using a wood chipper a fair bit lately but it has done it since new. Thinking something must need to be adjusted.

/ Hard shifting gears on 2017 tym 394 hst #7  
Our brand new T554 does the same thing. I have to roll a bit then try again. Sometimes it takes a few tries. Let us know if you find something out!

/ Hard shifting gears on 2017 tym 394 hst #8  
Could you put the emergency brake on and try that see if it helps.

/ Hard shifting gears on 2017 tym 394 hst #9  
i have this problem as well. my fix was to set the parking brake, drop the bucket to float, of slightly raise the front end, and bring the throttle to idle. doing this, i can shift to any range, uphill, or downhill... hope this helps

/ Hard shifting gears on 2017 tym 394 hst #10  
Do the HST TYM's have a clutch? If so, you might try stepping on the clutch to shift ranges... HST basically acts like a hydraulic brake when you're not stepping on the pedals. If there is any residual torque in the system, the range gears will also have torque on them, making a shift difficult. On tractors with a clutch, depressing the clutch releases that torque and the shift goes smoothly. If there is no clutch, you can go forward/reverse slightly to try to relieve the torque.

The OP may have already solved his problem, but it should shift smoothly when it is not torque bound... Set the parking brake, shut the tractor off, stab forward then reverse to relieve pressure. If it is still difficult to shift, then the linkage is likely binding somehow and you can investigate.