T503 died and won't start. Need help/advice

/ T503 died and won't start. Need help/advice #11  
It seems to be turning over fast enough. When you are turning it over and it does not start does it smell like raw diesel? How many hours on the engine? Next thing I would do is a compression check. Was the oil milky brown or black? It seems like they auctioned off a tractor they knew had a issue. The T503 has a nice engine it the CAT/Perkins. How warm is it there. I know some diesels have issues and need glow plugs even at warm temps.

/ T503 died and won't start. Need help/advice #12  
If it will not start or at least try to run on starting fluid there is some internal engine problem. Probably with the valve train. Like Btown said a comp test will tell. Don't use the glow plugs with starting fluid, not needed. It's not that cold where you are anyway.

/ T503 died and won't start. Need help/advice #13  
Not saying this is the issue but around 1-2 years ago someone on this site bought a new T503. Put less than 2/10 hour and it died. Turned out it had a cam or trimming issue and failure. But it made a lot of bad noise. Perkins wanted it back to check the issue and fixed it.

Last edited:
   / T503 died and won't start. Need help/advice #14  
Looks like you are getting fuel, I would investigate the glow plug system.

/ T503 died and won't start. Need help/advice #15  
Good speed and smoke has to be timing or ?? maybe what William said my forklift will smoke like that all day and not start if I don't run the glow plugs 30 sec. or more.

/ T503 died and won't start. Need help/advice
I'm pretty sure the glow plug system works. We put in all new glow plugs and a new fuse and I confirmed that they are heating up correctly.

It does sort of smell like Diesel.
They definitely sold a tractor they knew had problems. We found out after the fact that a tree had fallen on it, but that was, presumably, long before they sold it at the auction.
I should note that the tractor was running the day of the auction and they were using it to help load other things into people trucks. So we know that engine was running well enough to use fairly recently.

What should my next step be?
Should I go get a compression tester from harborfreight and test it?
Anyone have a nice guide on how to check valve timing?

We took the valve cover off and gave it a few cranks. All of the rocker arms appear to mover correctly and the intake valves look like they are opening correctly.

However, one of the intake valves (#4, one closest to the driver) showed a little bit of a liquid whenever it closed. That shouldn't be happening right? What would that indicate? Maybe a gasket problem or a flooded cylinder?

/ T503 died and won't start. Need help/advice #19  
The cranking speed wasn't to bad but it seemed to have a hesitation, with the smoke you are apparently getting fuel, are you familiar with tow starting?
If you are and feel confident and this is assuming it's a gear tractor, stick it in high gear and try to tow start it, just a 15-20 tow will start it if its going to.
Some people are not comfortable tow starting, but it is the easiest way to get a difficult to start engine going. It is surprising how quick most engines will start
with a tow or coasting down a hill. If they are going to start.

I don't think a tow start would work for us because of our driveway and such.

I'm going to take the exhaust manifold off and see which pistons are producing the smoke. Is there any reason why three of the pistons/chambers would be combusting and one piston/chamber wouldn't be?