T454 Loader Joystick Issue

/ T454 Loader Joystick Issue #1  

ID Corgi Ranch

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2038R w/Backhoe, JD X350
I have a T454 and I'm a little new to tractors. Using the FEL today I felt a "pop" or "snap" in the joystick. No hydraulic leaks. No other issues.

Now the joystick won't raise the loader. All other functions work fine. The joystick control will lower, dump and curl the bucket...just won't lift it. The joystick is complete limp...no resistance at all, when moving it to the rear (lift position).

I've removed the cover and boot around the joystick but don't see any obvious problems.

Any ideas? Of course the manual is of no use. I can't find an online diagram or parts catalog and can't call the dealer until Monday. Hoping someone might have some insight into what might be the issue.

/ T454 Loader Joystick Issue
Here's a few pics of the joystick control box (not sure what it's actually called. It appears to be a sealed unit. The cable that controls the inoperative cylinder appears to be attached at the hydraulic control manifold. I tried to loosen/remove the cable from the cylinder but it's still attached somewhere in the box. So I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Any advice or suggestions?

20180519_074343.jpg

20180519_073509.jpg

Attachments

• 20180519_074343.jpg
    20180519_074343.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 734
  • 20180519_073509.jpg
    20180519_073509.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 654
   / T454 Loader Joystick Issue #3  
My guess is your cable to the "bad" Cylinder snapped it happened to me a couple of winters ago. Jordan in Post Falls should have replacements in stock. I don't know if you could get a generic cable from a closer dealer. Connecting to the valve is easy but the upper end connects to the joystick and that took me much longer to figure out. You can switch your hydraulic lines if you need to raise your loader.

Below are pics of the joystick, I had to loosen all three of the "ball" ends to get the new cable into the slot.

20160101_163331_resized.jpg 20160102_154212_resized.jpg

It was the connector at the other end of the cable where it connects to the hydraulic valve. There's a pin that goes thru the valve and a sleeve that attaches the cable to the valve. That sleeve (looks like it's made out of some cheap pot metal) broke so the cable was loose on that end. Dealer is sending me a new one and a spare.

But, since you mentioned it, how do you get those balls out of that mount? I looked at it and fiddled around with it but couldn't figure it out.

I also couldn't get the joystick removed. It's got a welded on nut at the bottom and is secured by a second lock nut. I can loosen the lock nut but can't get the joystick to move. I didn't want to force anything and screw it up even worse than it already is.

/ T454 Loader Joystick Issue #5  
If I remember correctly you remove the brass colored slide piece that is held on by the two screws and loosen the nut on the cable and push the cable/ball ends up to give you enough slack above the plastic to manipulate all of the balls at the same time. I had to walk away from it a couple of times and think about what was going on to get it out and reinstalled.

I'm glad you got your problem solved. :thumbsup:

Here's the part that broke. It's a connector that threads on to the joystick cable and attaches it to the hydraulic manifold. It's about a $6 part and it's made from some type of cheap, cast metal. Big Red's sent me the part (along with a spare) and I had it fixed in less than an hour after getting it out of the mailbox.

It is kind of a pain in the butt to get to this thing. It's pretty cramped under there so not a lot of room for hands and wrenches. But, it's done now and the T454 is back to work.

NDcruMo.jpg

XLLYXBB.jpg

IuKARRc.jpg

/ T454 Loader Joystick Issue #8  
Glad you got it fixed ! They must not have alot of faith in the part to send you a spare !! Luckily I didn't have a problem repairing mine, plenty of room to work on. Its always a good feeling to repair something and get it back running.....

I asked him for the spare. He was kind enough to include a second. It's still under warranty so he really didn't have to give me a second one. Having said that, it's made from some pretty cheap-looking cast metal. But, it's not a part that's under a lot of stress, either. And, yeah...it feels good to have a working tractor that's not a 4400 pound paper weight.

/ T454 Loader Joystick Issue #10  
I just broke my TYM T454 FEL joystick as well. A year a ago I replaced a cable that had given out. But I knew there was a deeper issue. It’s been loose and sloppy - which is likely what contributed to breaking the cable in the first place. The pot metal coupler broke as I loaded my 15th round bale on the trailer. With rain coming and 90 more bales to get off the field, I used twine and wire to keep it together until I was done. I’m having a hard time finding the parts to repair it. And I see your pictures are blacked out on the parts. Here’s a photo of what broke the other day. Any advice on where to get parts would be appreciated. I’m in Canada so I find it extra challenging.

Attachments

• 6F88A151-F316-42E9-A070-F291F7BC63CB.jpeg
    6F88A151-F316-42E9-A070-F291F7BC63CB.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 182