Intermittend "no start"

/ Intermittend "no start" #1  

rlee6

Silver Member
Tractor
Allmand 8435 HST (TYM T330 HST)
Intermittend \"no start\"

Manual says safe start conditons are to be met. They are: PTO off, Parking Brake or Foot Brake on. All these conditions are met, but still no start. But after a while it starts again. It appears to be spelled. I remember reading somewhere that the battery (-)/chassis connection needs to be tightened. Is this applicable? Any advice?

Tractor: Allmand 8435 HST (or TYM T330 HST) 370 hours

/ Intermittend "no start" #2  
Re: Intermittend \"no start\"

I never had this problem with my tractors, but whenever I had intermittent starting problems with other vehicles I would first check the (-) ground connection at the battery post and at the (-) cable connection on the frame. I am a believer in brushing the contact areas, dousing the areas with a solution of baking soda and water, cleaning, drying, reconnecting the connections, and smearing the connections with vaseline. This usually worked. I am not a mechanic and I have seen some good advise in threads in TBN in the past. Jay

/ Intermittend "no start" #3  

Check the starter interlocks. You should find switches mechanically linked to the PTO lever and the brakes. Sometimes the switch mounting is loose or gets out of adjustment. If you have a clutch, it will probably have an interlock too.

As an aside, 20 years ago, I had a 4WD Chevy Suburban shop vehicle that had an intermittent starting problem from day one. It would break down about once a month, usually in a remote area, and I would have it towed to the nearest dealer, where they would inevitably replace a bunch of parts under warranty. The starter, battery, and alternator were all replaced at least twice.

The last time it wouldn't start was at a construction stop on the Wilson River Highway in Oregon. There was about a 15 minute wait while they ran one way traffic for several miles. When I tried to start, I got nothing.

I got mad and decided to troubleshoot it myself. It took me all of five minutes will a voltmeter. The starter interlock on the clutch pedal was loose. That was all it was. GM, due to their dealers' ineptness, spent well over a thousand dollars trying to fix something that took five minutes and a wrench. In today's dollars, close to two grand.

/ Intermittend "no start" #4  

Hello. There is a control module inside the dash - if it is failing, it will have to be replaced. There are ground wires attached on the same bolts that have the hood hinge on the firewall - sometimes paint is under the ground wire causing poor connection. If you have additional questions, you may call me toll-free at 1-866-684-7378. - Roger

/ Intermittend "no start" #5  

great job tym-tech!!
tym showing support.

/ Intermittend "no start" #6  

Be shure that both HST petals are even,try turning the key to start while pushing alittle on one petal or the other incase they are out of adjustment

/ Intermittend "no start"

Thank you all. Since this is a low traffic forum, I thought I would be lucky if I could get a tip, maybe two. How wrong I was! 5 suggestions, and a TOLL-FREE phone number for questions! Thanks folks. I will get back with you soon.

I have an online question for you, TYM-Tech. The first thing I did after I picked up the tractor was to replace the hydraulic oil. I couldn't find the recommended fluid from CALTEX, Texaco, or Chevron, so I used WalMart SuperTech Hydraulic and Transmission Fluid. It met Kubota UDT spec and several others, and was recommended for hydraulics, transmission, wet brake, etc.

I have a 3000 psi hydraulic system at work and we really baby it. We use recommended fluid and do routine oil analysis. But the tractor, according to service manual, has pressure relief valve set at 6000 psi. After finding the original hydraulic filter still on the tractor, I could not sleep. I had to drain the "dirty" oil and give it a clean oil that the high pressure system requires. I used SuperTech as I may have to replace it with recommended fluid later.

Please advise. I am not asking you to endorse SuperTech. I am only asking you to tell me if I you see a gross incompatibility.

/ Intermittend "no start" #9  

Hello rlee6
Any universal hydraulic transmission oil would be fine. I prefer to use oil with a major oil manufacturer brand on the container.

If the SuperTech says "universal hydraulic transmission" on it, then it should be OK to use.

TYM-TECH:
Thanks. Let me continue with the question that I asked you over the phone. You suspected rear brake dragging and suggested loosening up the pivot joint on the brake mechanical link. The pivoting bracket is blocked by the loader frame and couldn't be removed. I just sprayed WD40. It became looser than before. As I release the brake pedal, it pivots just a little bit. Is that loose enough? Or should it be really loose, freely rotating? Thanks.

By the way, what makes the bracket pivot when brake pedal is released? I didn't see any spring anywhere in the mechanical linkage.