TYM-America vs TYM-USA - What gives?

/ TYM-America vs TYM-USA - What gives? #1  

LC Brewing

Bronze Member
La Center, WA (originally Moyie Springs, ID)
Tractor
I wish (someday)
I was looking for information regarding TYM tractors on the web, and come across the TYM-America website. Then I see that the 0% for 60 months "is not available in TYM-USA States" - which is every state within 500 miles of where I live. Further down the page is another statement about how they are in no way affiliated or responsible for actions of TYM-USA.

So what gives? The TYM-USA web page looks like something cooked up on a Commodore-64, has no info on the T233 and T273 tractors at all, has no way to look up or find dealers or other information, and appears to be run by some guy with a last name of "mullett" (flash-back to 1985...business in the front, party in the back...rednex UNITE!). Sorry - off on a tangent for a second there.

So, what gives? Is this some Hatfield and McCoys thing going on, or what? Are they selling the same tractors? Am I asking for a headache related to dealer service, parts availability, or support in general if I even look at these machines? So far, my experience with the local dealer has been that he doesn't even want to give me a price or let me look at the TYM line - he just wants to keep steering me in the direction of his own brand that is Chinese.

Anyone car to shed some light on this oddity?

/ TYM-America vs TYM-USA - What gives? #2  
I think it's as simple as TYM having two distribution channels in the US with no overlap.
My Mahindra is TYM made and an excellent tractor.

/ TYM-America vs TYM-USA - What gives? #3  
About all I can tell you is that one has the eastern half of the US market, the other the west. I don't know why, but that seems to be the deal.

I would recommend Valley View Tractor and Equipment, a dealer in Newburg, OR (just out of Portland). Very good service, and he has been with TYM in the US since the beginning. I have a T273 TLB and really like it. If you can find a good dealer near you, take a look. More expensive than some (Jinma for one) but seems to be good quality and a good company.

Good luck.

/ TYM-America vs TYM-USA - What gives? #4  
Bkjohns said:
About all I can tell you is that one has the eastern half of the US market, the other the west. I don't know why, but that seems to be the deal.

I would recommend Valley View Tractor and Equipment, a dealer in Newburg, OR (just out of Portland). Very good service, and he has been with TYM in the US since the beginning. I have a T273 TLB and really like it. If you can find a good dealer near you, take a look. More expensive than some (Jinma for one) but seems to be good quality and a good company.

Good luck.

I'll second the recommendation for Valley View http://www.valleyviewtractors.com !

I bought my Mahindra from him but he also deals TYM. I think he gets some flack from Mahindra for the overlap but he is dealing with it. TYM's are assembled in Oregon so he has a good parts and support base.

Tell Steve at Valley View that we sent you! He is a GREAT dealer to work with.

PB

/ TYM-America vs TYM-USA - What gives? #5  
Don't give up. Find that dealer! Or insist to the one you've been dealing with to let you see the K2's. The K2's are worth serious consideration. They offer excellent size/manueverability and hp that no one else quite matches up with.

BTW.... I think your dealer should be reported to TYM for not representing them fairly. I've seen it with other dealers on other products. I've never understood that phenomenon. Kinda makes no sense to me, especially when you make it clear you aren't interested in the "other model".

There's a guy on here, Chipperman, that is a TYM rep. Maybe he can help you.

I'm not sure why TYM has two "separate companies" setup for each coast. But, as I understand it, that's the way it is.

/ TYM-America vs TYM-USA - What gives?
Small world - I'm on Clark County as well.

I managed to stop by the dealer in Woodland again last night and catch the owner just as he was getting ready to leave. He was more amicable and informative than the salesman I've dealt with before. They had a T273 on display out front, and I was able to get prices from him.

All I can say is that prices seemed reasonable, but not jaw-dropping. $14,000for a T233 with loader, and $15,000 for a T273. I guess I would have expected them to be a little lower given they are a new(er) company trying to gain some market share. But what do I know.

The other thing that struck me was the size of the unit - it seems more like a SCUT than a true CUT to me. I haven't put the numbers side-by-side, but compared to the CK20 I stop and drool on just about every night on my way home, that TYM looks small. And when compared to the CK25, it looks downright tiny. I do like the skid-steer standard quick-connect on the TYM loader, but the loader itself seems small too. I haven't been able to find a spec sheet for the loader itself yet to make any comparisons, though.

The most confusing thing for me about the TYM-America versus the TYM-USA thing is the financing options. TYM advertises 0% for 60 months on their -America side for the K2 tractors. The best the dealer here could offer me was 6%, which he was calling "great rates". I can get much lower elsewhere. That doesn't exactly sweeten the deal to me.

/ TYM-America vs TYM-USA - What gives? #7  
There aren't a lot of "good" tractor dealer in Clark County. Some are OK but none are great. I found the best selection, competition, and service in the south of Portland where there is more serious agriculture going on. Just my observation. It was a bit of a drive and I wasted more than a few Saturdays hitting dealers when I was looking. It's a lot like car shopping - the task sucks but the end result is pretty nice.

/ TYM-America vs TYM-USA - What gives? #8  
LC,
The specs are on the TYM-America Web sight:
http://www.tym-america.com/spect270hst.php

The CK20 does weigh more. Other than that, I believe the specs are very comparable, and in some cases better than the CK20. Its wider, more than a foot shorter, and therefore more stable. It can lift more on the 3 ph, and has the same hydraulic capacities. It even has a tiny bit more ground clearance. The short wheelbase and sleek design just make it look smaller. It's simply a more modern design. What I found was that the TYM is way more manueverable. And if this is a concern, the TYM is the better choice. Don't forget that the TYM also has considerably more hp - a far superior mowing machine.

There are only two drawbacks with the TYM. Dealer network and price. The TYM is priced too high, thousands more than a CK20. Pricing is on par with a JD 2520, which is also a very nice machine. But, if you've got the change to spend, the TYM is the better machine IMHO. But, the CK is the best value. I don't think you could go wrong with either one, though.

/ TYM-America vs TYM-USA - What gives? #9  
Also noticed that the TYM loader lift capacity is 270 some pounds greater than the CK20. This is about 20% more - not to be ignored.

/ TYM-America vs TYM-USA - What gives? #10  
BTW. The specs on the loader are in the loader manual that can be downloaded on their website.