New TYM273 with hoe - pics

/ New TYM273 with hoe - pics #1  

toolnut

Hi all,

Just thought I post some pics of my new toy... err I mean tool :) So far I'm really pleased with my choice, I downsized from a NH TC45DA, which is a really nice tractor but was just too large for my current property. To be honest, I was close to buying a TYM 330, but after I messed around with the K2 series I just decided it was large enough to do 90% of what I wanted, and that 70% of the time I'd actually rather use the smaller tractor because it's easier on the turf and more nimble. Haven't seem many pics of the new BH, so thought I'd post some here.

BTW, the BH is REALLY nice, it's very smooth to operate and very stout for a small hoe. The full subframe does reduce ground clearance, but it's no doubt the best way to reduce the applied stresses through the center of the tractor when digging in tough conditions.

One of the really nice features on this model is the QT on the loader, I use forks almost more than a bucket, so I bought a set right away with the tractor. Neither JD or Kubota offered a standard QT on their smaller tractors... too bad cause lack of this feature caused me to keep looking..:)

I only have a couple of hours of seat time, but after I get a few hours in I'll post some additional comments.

Guess I'll have to update my sig too..

-Toolnut

Attachments

• TYM_273_1.jpg
    TYM_273_1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,071
  • TYM_273_2.jpg
    TYM_273_2.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 791
  • TYM_273_3.jpg
    TYM_273_3.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 845
  • TYM_273_4.jpg
    TYM_273_4.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,019
   / New TYM273 with hoe - pics #2  
Congratulations! Good looking machine there Toolnut. I'll be interested in reading your thoughts and comments after you have some experience with the machine!:)

/ New TYM273 with hoe - pics #3  
It may reduce your ground clearance a little, but it looks like it really gives the hyd. connections underneath some good protection. I am always real careful when I'm rolling over big branches and stuff with mine because I'm afraid it may contact that assembly and tear it up. It looks like the subframe mount puts a lot of beef between anything that you may run over and that pipe work.

Congrats......Wish I had the extra dough for a hoe. :(

ps......check your PM

/ New TYM273 with hoe - pics #4  
Hey, congrats on the T273. I have one as well and really am impressed with what it will do, especially the backhoe. Howlin Wolf is correct about the subframe adding what I thought was needed protection for the hydro lines running under the tractor. Only words of caution for you regarding the bh is that when / if you take it off, be carefull while moving the assembly around once it is free of the contact points on the tractor because they run pretty close to those hydro lines and it would be easy to ding one if you get too carried away with the levers while removing/reattaching the bh.

I have 62+ hours on mine, and here are the things that have given me a problem:
1. the muffler mounting system was originally flawed in that the point of contact with the frame (where it attaches to the tractor just behind the left front wheel near the outlet for the exhaust pipe) was causing binding under movement of the frame/engine and broke the welds on the muffler, and rattled a lot. The factory sent a new muffler to me and the factory rep from Oregon (I live in northern Washington state) came with it to replace it right in my driveway. Can't ask for more support than that from the company. The mod they did to fix the problem was to modify the bracket at the end of the exhaust pipe to a fork type connection instead of a hole, so the whole thing can move freely now.
2. The fan shroud got eaten up at the top because the air intake hose that protrudes through the radiator shroud into 'cool air' ahead of the raditor was too long and the cowling/hood was pushing on it when closed. Shortening the intake tube about 3 inches relieved that pressure. I didn't push for the fan shroud to be replaced because the damage was minimal and won't cause me any trouble that I can forsee.
3. The bracket that the fuel pump mounts to vibrated so much that it has broken twice. I finally rewelded it with a gusset at the bend and that solved that problem. Apparently it is a known issue with some and should be re-engineered as far as I'm concerned, but not yet per TYM. The weld I did was simple, ugly and works. When the bracket broke, the fuel line on the input side could get up into the fan. Luckily I check the oil every time I use the machine and while the hood is up do a visual check around and caught it both times before any damage was done, so something you might keep an eye on.
4. Two of the rubber boots around the ball joints on the front axle have been ripped, I suspect by some of my adventures into heavy brush. I'm still awaiting replacements for one of them. It doesn't hold grease well, so I use a lot of grease and often on that ball joint until I can get it fixed. A downside to having them out front of the axle but I can't see any other way for TYM to make it work with the K2 line.
5. A bolt came loose from the underside of the joystick assembly that holds the idler ball in, so that I couldn't manipulate the bucket anymore (not very well anyway). A 6mm bolt about 2.5 inches long was my fix for that. I don't really know what fell out, but the hexhead bolt I used fixed it and has held for about 10 hours now.
6. The rest of the stuff that has 'gone wrong' is probably normal stuff, like loose bolts/nuts and especially one or two not quite tight enough hydro lines on the backhoe that were seeping. A quick turn of the wrench fixed that.

Throughout all of this, TYM has been very helpful and quick to respond, and welcomes my input on impressions of what works and what could be done better in the future, and like I said they sent a factory rep to my house to fix some of the problems, so don't shy away from giving your dealer a call for help. Everything I had a problem with was what I would consider growing pains for a new design, and was addressed by TYM as warranty work (they did replace the first fuel pump bracket with a new one before I fixed it myself - they said they would send me a third one when available but I don't need it now). I really like the tractors maneuverability, power, ergonomics and especially that backhoe. Man, I couldn't have done half the things I have done around my place without it. Well worth the extra money. That quick release bucket mount is something I haven't used yet but when the time comes I'll be happy it is there.

Good luck with your tractor and have fun. Hopefully you won't have the type of troubles I've had since the factory might have fixed some of them by now, but if you do it is all easily fixed and downtime was zilch for me because I was able to patch it up myself. I think a welder should be listed as an option when you buy a tractor because you almost have to have one to keep the tractor working.

Barry

/ New TYM273 with hoe - pics
Great to make contact with you guys...this is really what makes a forum like this so useful!

I'm kinda slow in responding to posts cause of my schedule, but I look forward to contributing with "project" ideas, trouble shooting ideas...etc.

Yep, I even own a welder (and I'm even using it...:) ), not on the tractor yet, but I'm modifying a hydro driven post hole digger to fit to a QT plate. Previously I owned a PT-425 and I kept the auger / drive head to fit to a new machine. Just one of a half dozen projects that I have going at once...:), but I should be able to get this one done before spring.

BTW, since a bunch of folks have PM'ed me regarding which dealer I used, I'll just put a plug in here for WF Welliver & Son. (Bloomsburg, PA). So far they have been great to deal with (ask for Mark). They are very willing to take a lot time with you to really show you the pluses and minuses of each machine. I tend to ask a lot questions....., and honestly not all the tractor dealers I've visited really appreciate that.

Can't comment much more yet on the tractor, I've just used it a few hours, but thing I'll offer with regard to the Mitsubishi engine. It starts easy but runs a little rough for awhile, honestly I would say on par with most 3 cylinder kubotas that I've played with. But once the engine warms up, it runs REALLY smooth, better even than the 4 cyl in my NH TC45DA that I've also previously owned. Now of course this is very subjective and probably doesn't mean much, but I'm pleased. Real cold weather starting is TBD, cause we've not had much of that yet...but I don't have electric in my storage barn, so no heater for me...:(

Anyway, I'll post some more once I have something interesting to share,

-Toolnut

PS.. Thanks for the detailed tips Barry, I'll keep an eye on these things, hopefully I can report that they have been "fixed" by now..:)

/ New TYM273 with hoe - pics #6  
Very nice new toy. Could you take a couple pictures of it when you remove the BH with it beside a 1/2 ton pickup? I'm trying to wrap my head around the size of the tractor. Congrats on your purchase. :)

/ New TYM273 with hoe - pics #7  
Hey Toolnut, nice looking tractor. Congrats on the BH addition. In your 2nd pic, the pad on the outrigger looks pretty slick (not as in "cool", but as in "not having any grip"). Do you find that when using the hoe, the tractor trys to slip toward area of dig? I saw a simple solution on one of the other threads, where someone welded a couple pieces of angle iron to the pad to give it some teeth. Once again, best of luck with your equipment.

/ New TYM273 with hoe - pics #8  
toolnut said:
Hi all,

Just thought I post some pics of my new toy... err I mean tool :) So far I'm really pleased with my choice, I downsized from a NH TC45DA, which is a really nice tractor but was just too large for my current property. To be honest, I was close to buying a TYM 330, but after I messed around with the K2 series I just decided it was large enough to do 90% of what I wanted, and that 70% of the time I'd actually rather use the smaller tractor because it's easier on the turf and more nimble. Haven't seem many pics of the new BH, so thought I'd post some here.

BTW, the BH is REALLY nice, it's very smooth to operate and very stout for a small hoe. The full subframe does reduce ground clearance, but it's no doubt the best way to reduce the applied stresses through the center of the tractor when digging in tough conditions.

One of the really nice features on this model is the QT on the loader, I use forks almost more than a bucket, so I bought a set right away with the tractor. Neither JD or Kubota offered a standard QT on their smaller tractors... too bad cause lack of this feature caused me to keep looking..:)

I only have a couple of hours of seat time, but after I get a few hours in I'll post some additional comments.

Guess I'll have to update my sig too..

-Toolnut
That is a great looking set-up you got there. I'm sure that hoe will come in handy. It all comes together well aesthetically, cool looking tractors. You will be feeling very nimble on it compared to the big NH.
Enjoy your new tractor.

John