Ventrac or Grasshopper?

/ Ventrac or Grasshopper? #11  
If you have a toolcat, can you just get the front mount mower for it?

Hook up only takes a minute.

Yooper Dave

/ Ventrac or Grasshopper? #12  
You will have a hard time beating the grasshopper. I have two diesel units very good. If you don't have to have out front deck kubota is a good choice..

/ Ventrac or Grasshopper? #13  
I bought a used gas powered (Kubota engine) Grasshopper 4 years ago. My property at the time was really rough, in horrible condition . . . been ignored for years. I've abused the grasshopper alot, but it's not missed a beat. I've hit rocks, wood, wrapped up barbed wire . . . really been hard on it. It now has around 900 hours on it and while it looks pretty ugly, it cuts great, starts easily and has been a totally reliable machine. Mine is a front mount which makes trimming under my trees easy. It's the 60 inch deck. It easily out mows my tractor with a 84" mower if you're comparing speed.

/ Ventrac or Grasshopper?
If you have a toolcat, can you just get the front mount mower for it?

Hook up only takes a minute.

Yooper Dave
No we don't have a Toolcat.
If we did we probably wouldn't be getting a Ventrac.
We like that the Ventrac is small yet powerful and could do about the same work a a Toolcat only in smaller ways.
But does anyone know why you can't have the Versa-Loader with a Cab on a Ventrac 4000 series?

i think the grasshopper and the ventrack/steiner are worlds apart...

i see the grasshopper as a fast grass cutting machine...nimble, quick, etc.

i have a buddy with a steiner- he has finish and brush mowers for it- and while it does a great job at what it does, i don't think it would touch a ZTR style mower.....at least for cutting grass.....what it does do well at is heavy brush, hills and banks, going down in the woods, etc......

maybe i was a little afraid to push the steiner but it just seemed slow and cumbersome........where as the ZTR i have used, seemed , well, fast.....:D
Well Steiner and Ventrac are very Different themselves. Steiner is an articulating GARDEN TRACTOR for the Large land Homeowner and Ventrac is more a COMPACT TRACTOR for Landscapers (Me and my Dad), farmers, construction, and other commercial useage.
Steiner "Claims" to do the work and be better than a Ventrac but just look at the features and Specs of a Steiner 430 MAX, then the Ventrac 4000 series. Ya'll tell me what do you think is more heavy-duty.

Last edited:
I could never justify why Ventracs are sooooo expensive.

I love front mowers as well, as I have a couple of JD's & a couple Kubotas.

Is the Ventrac closely priced to the grasshopper?

Yooper Dave
If you get into the Grasshopper 928D with a 72 deck, you're about, $15,000 which is about the price of a Ventrac 4100.

Well people we decided to get the Ventrac since we'll actually be using it to do Landscaping also with it. But thanks for your help.

Question: Does anyone know the price for the Ventrac Versa-Loader and their New Hyd. Dump Collection System?

/ Ventrac or Grasshopper? #18  
Wading in on this a little late, but with Ventrac being related to Steiner in some way, I thought I would mention that my Steiner 525 was extremely expensive for the original buyer(I saw the sticker price) but it was used for 10 years mowing at least 6 to 8 hours a day since 1996. I got it and it still maintains my yard when I decide it needs mowing. Not sure if I would have invested that much money as a first time buyer, but it did make financial sense for them, since it very much paid for itself.
David from jax

/ Ventrac or Grasshopper? #19  
yeah, when my buddy bought his steiner, he spoke with the owner of ventrack......according to him, steiner and ventrac owners used to be in business together......then one guy left and started ventrac.....i've never looked at a ventrac but my buddy said the ventrac was more refined and had some nicer features........like i said, i've never looked at a ventrac but it would sure be hard to be built heavier than a steiner....that thing is built like a tank!

Well Steiner and Ventrac are very Different themselves. Steiner is an articulating GARDEN TRACTOR for the Large land Homeowner and Ventrac is more a COMPACT TRACTOR for Landscapers (Me and my Dad), farmers, construction, and other commercial useage.
Steiner "Claims" to do the work and be better than a Ventrac but just look at the features and Specs of a Steiner 430 MAX, then the Ventrac 4000 series. Ya'll tell me what do you think is more heavy-duty.

yeah, when my buddy bought his steiner, he spoke with the owner of ventrack......according to him, steiner and ventrac owners used to be in business together......then one guy left and started ventrac.....i've never looked at a ventrac but my buddy said the ventrac was more refined and had some nicer features........like i said, i've never looked at a ventrac but it would sure be hard to be built heavier than a steiner....that thing is built like a tank!
Does your Buddy have the Steiner 430 MAX or the 525. If your talking about the 525, I've checked it out; its a beast. The biggest articulating compact tractor I've ever seen.
We even checked out a 525 last year but I don't think they have a loader for it do they?