Ventrac Demo Day!!

/ Ventrac Demo Day!! #1  

AVIVIII

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 430 PT-1850 JD 3520 Komatsu 35MR
Well, we aren't exactly batting 1000...

20110831090232231.jpg

I was putting the 4231TD with the toughcut through its paces when the deck started smoking....

A combination of vines, dirt clods and pricker bushes had jammed up one of the blades. We cleaned it out and started it back up and the drive belt on the tractor broke almost instantly. The funny thing is, we looked under the deck-lid and it was the deck belt that was smoking, not the drive belt...

The sales guy says he has never seen anything like this before. He took it back to the shop, and should be back in an hour or so with the machine.

In the meantime, I have to tell you all, I was super-impressed with it. I was just about to get into the really steep stuff 25*-30* when the belt broke, but up until that point, I not once felt uncomfortable with it.

Before I make a decision, I am going to make the trek down to VA and see what power-trac has to offer too, but I definitely love this machine!

Is there anything that anyone here wants me to ask the sales guy while I've got him?

One of my biggest concerns is that B&S diesel. It would ease my mind a lot more to see a Kubota or even a Yanmar or Deutz in there. I haven't been having a lot of luck with B&S lately and have heard some mixed reviews on that specific engine.... What say you?

More pics and hopefully some video to come this afternoon!

/ Ventrac Demo Day!!
The machine came back and we got some great mowing in.

I put it through the roughest, nastiest stuff that I had on the steepest slopes and it ate it right up! I got slowed down once by a hidden dirt/rock pile, but otherwise it worked great!

I mounted the GoPro on the tractor for video, but never turned it on.... I will go take pictures of some of the places I mowed tomorrow.

/ Ventrac Demo Day!! #3  
You won't be sorry if you get this machine ! :thumbsup:
I now have my 2nd 4231 Gas Water Cooled - first one was from 2004 to 2011 and 900 hours with only basic maintenance and regular oil changes. The only reason I got the new machine (my 2nd one) is because I found out that they were not going to offer the Gas version in the future and I prefer gas (just because everything else I have is gas). Unlike some companies I have found that every change from the 2004 to the 2011 is better in some way, either easier, more responsive, stronger, better drive and hydraulics --- just a GREAT machine !

This is a multi task machine and GREAT on slopes.
If you have Snow --- the snow blower will handle anything you will get.
I LOVE my VENTRAC :D :thumbsup:

/ Ventrac Demo Day!! #4  
The B&S Diesel is a thumbs up in my book. Runs super smooth, and has glow plugs for cold weather starting. Runs clean and efficient.

I have a Power Trac 1460 as well. Both diesels are nice, but the PT does not come with glow plugs, and it overheats if you mow too much with it. PT is a better loader, but the VT is a better mower.

/ Ventrac Demo Day!!
Can a 3pt hitch be added to a 4231 after the fact or is it a factory install option only?

And please correct me if I am wrong, but in order to use a Ventrac implement on the rear (excavator, slip scoop, spreader) I would have to have the 3pt hitch and the Ventrac 3-in-1 adapter as well?

Thanks.

/ Ventrac Demo Day!! #6  
The 3-point hitch can be added by a dealer as well as being installed directly at the factory when the tractor is built.

To use a Ventrac attachment that normally mounts on the front hitch on the rear, the tractor must have a 3-point hitch and the 3N1 Adapter. This does not apply to the Spreader since it mounts in the 2 inch receiver hitch.

/ Ventrac Demo Day!!
Thanks Jack. Would you recommend ordering the 3pt hitch from the factory or is it simple enough that the dealer can do it without a problem?

In other news, here are some pictures of the mowing. We didn't have time to do a whole lot of honest mowing, so basically, I just mowed around and hit as many of the nasty spots as I could. Now I have some really cool trails that I can walk through though....

This was a 7' tall olive-type tree. All it took was one pass to reduce it to nothing!
gopr0468.jpg

This is the where the dirt clod came from the stopped the mighty Ventrac
gopr0476.jpg

This shows a 180* turn made while heading downhill and turning uphill
gopr0487.jpg

This shows a 180* turn made while heading up a 28* slope and then turning downhill
gopr0481.jpg

This shows a turn made while traveling across a 25* slope and turning uphill
gopr0474.jpg

This is the view from the top, the whole reason im doing this:
gopr0462.jpg

/ Ventrac Demo Day!! #8  
By all means order it installed at the factory. The dealer can do it, but it is a labor intensive operation and will cost you more than a factory install.

/ Ventrac Demo Day!! #9  
I also recommend the hydraulic top link (with rear hydro outlets), 3-N-1, 12v rear outlet, strobe and worklights.
I opted for the non-folding Rops, but you can get the folding version.
Set up from the factory will (as Jack said) cost less than dealer install.

/ Ventrac Demo Day!! #10  
Great stuff AV! Amazing what that tractor can do. You will not regret your purchase if you go with the Ventrac! I have the B&S 31hp air cooled unit and it runs fantastic. The B&S Diesels are some of the best in the industry at cold weather starting and from what I have heard, Ventrac has had very good success with the B&S engines, so I would not let that hold you back. Good luck :thumbsup: