Considering Ventrac-need advice

/ Considering Ventrac-need advice
Oh PapaPerk-I had a JD dealer look up the serial number on the 850-it is a 1984.

/ Considering Ventrac-need advice #12  
OK -- Let us know what you decide ! If you need any input on attachments ... I'm sure one of the owners here can help with that. :thumbsup:
Thank you all so much for your comments!

I will! I will probably have to wait on attachments for now...especially if it looks like I go with the 31hp.

I do have one other question I thought of-has anyone invested in the suspension seat? Is that a 'need' on the ventrac or just a 'want?'

/ Considering Ventrac-need advice #14  
Judging from the pictures, the one that I demoed had the suspension seat. It was very comfortable. I did not spend a lot of time adjusting it, nor do I have anything to compare it to, but I did like it.

I just looked at your photo and am not 100% certain but I *think* yours is the standard seat!

I understand the suspension seat now comes with the arm rest.

Pretty comfy for a standard seat, isn't it?

I am still very torn between the 31hp and the 26hp.

I like the extra power but I worry about the Turbo Diesel being more 'sensitive'-I need the machine to be low maintenance as I have no engine experience.

Can someone please explain the 'water cooling' difference? Is this not on the 26hp diesel, rather only on the Turbo Diesel?

The only extra I am really considering is the canopy...the Georgia hot sun can be brutal.

/ Considering Ventrac-need advice #16  
Well, it had a bunch of knobs on the sides of the back and a dial and indicator underneath in addition to moving back and forth.

Water cooling is what your car/truck has. The system includes aRadiator, water pump, coolant (anti-freeze), etc. Air cooled is like your push lawn mover, where the only thing really cooling the engine is the air (maybe with the help of a fan) moving across the engine. The fins you see on most small engines help to dissipate the heat.

Personally, I would rather have the liquid-cooled version. As far as maintenance is concerned, if you can take a jug of coolant and pour it into the reservoir under the hood, you are in good shape. Keep in mind, especially when mowing, both the air-cooled and liquid-cooled versions need to be kept clean. Grass, dust and chaff build up can cause both systems to overheat. As far as the turbo is concerned, there is (as far as I know) no additional mx required. My experience in other turbo-charged engines is to let the engine idle for a minute or so before shutting it down, giving the turbo time to cool off.

You may laugh, but one of these saved my life when I took a mowing job at a local airport and had to use their machine with no cab!

0000000026634.jpg

Tractor Umbrella - 54 In. By Femco - Mills Fleet Farm
And they are cheap and light!

OH I stand corrected! Suspension is available without armrests! I guess it was comfy!

I just got my catalog in the mail and it lists both 26/31hp diesel as liquid cooled.

Thank you for explaining the difference

Love the umbrella!

/ Considering Ventrac-need advice #18  
Both 26.5 and 31 hp Diesel engines are liquid cooled and both are rated for continuous operation on 30 degree slopes. The 31 hp version has a Turbocharger. It is a proven workhorse--not a "sensitive" finicky engine. Don't be worried about it. The extra power is well worth it on slopes.

The Suspension Seat is an option and it has optional arm rests--they don't just come with the Suspension Seat. I find arm rests very helpful on side slopes since they help hold you more upright. I "hug" my elbow over the uphill side on slopes and it is very secure and comfortable. I regard the Suspension Seat as very important must have item since I am the only operator and I like to ride in comfort. The Suspension Seat also places the operator slightly higher than the standard seat. The Standard Seat is not bad at all, but the Suspension Seat is outstanding. If you decide to get the Standard Seat, I still would get armrests. By the way, the arm rests are not the same on the Standard Seat and the Suspension Seat--two different part numbers.

I had the Canopy on my previous Ventrac 4231 gasoline. It is nice, but slightly amplifies the engine sound. You must remove it to fold down the ROPS. You definitely don't want to run into overhanging or low limbs with the Canopy--it will crack and is unrepairable.

I would definitely recommend you purchase the Ventrac Slope Meter that mounts at the top of the dash right in front of you. For $60 it is really a no brainer for a slope mowing tractor.

For more details on Slope Mowing with a Ventrac, see their video clip on You Tube.
Slope Mowing with Ventrac - YouTube

/ Considering Ventrac-need advice #19  
My mistake (about the 26D being air cooled) Sorry, I don't know how I got that confused.
I have had both the standard and the suspension seat - if you are traveling rough ground and or spend much time on the machine you will love the suspension seat - the arm rests are an option and you will want them.
I also have been told that the ONLY concern with the turbo is to let it spin down for a min. before shutting the engine off.

/ Considering Ventrac-need advice #20  
I have used the Ventrac (diesel engine) for about 200 hours over all, this year. I find it has too low of a clearence it can get stuck on stumps and scrapes rocks. Also the air filter needs to be cleaned every day and replaced every other week. Very expensive. The debris you just cut gets thrown up by the tires and then gets sucked into the radiator. You need to shut down the machine and clean off the radiator screen every five to ten minutes on very dry days. After a few hours of operation no matter how often you clean the radiator screen debris fills the radiator and causes the machine to over heat. If you don't use the machine for long hours at a time, I guess it would be ok. It is good on slopes and you do feel secure on 20-30 degrees.

Last edited: