Steiner Utilimax new owner

/ Steiner Utilimax new owner #1  

eddieb1965

Bronze Member
I just purchased a Steiner Utilimax 428 with 321 hrs.I have mowed with it and checked it over thoroughly. I love the dump bed and the driver position.It is slightly underpowered on some of my steepest hills,but I just peddle back on the hydro.I am not sure how many of these machines are out there,but are there any other owners on here?Anything I need to check for or keep an eye on. Thanks Eddie P.S. I know this isnt a Ventrac,but it is articulated and there isnt a Steiner forum.

/ Steiner Utilimax new owner #2  
I just purchased a Steiner Utilimax 428 with 321 hrs.I have mowed with it and checked it over thoroughly. I love the dump bed and the driver position.It is slightly underpowered on some of my steepest hills,but I just peddle back on the hydro.I am not sure how many of these machines are out there,but are there any other owners on here?Anything I need to check for or keep an eye on. Thanks Eddie P.S. I know this isnt a Ventrac,but it is articulated and there isnt a Steiner forum.

I don't know, you could call Ventrac and ask to talk to one of the Steiner brothers if you have questions. I think they originally designed it, so maybe they could help? They may give a more honest answer on it since they aren't the salesman :laughing:

/ Steiner Utilimax new owner
I have already got some feedback from Mast Lepleys sevice manager.He gave me a couple of things to watch for,but basicly said it is a sound machine.I have put a couple of hrs. on it and am really liking it.Hope to here from an actual owner sometime though. Eddie

I have already got some feedback from Mast Lepleys sevice manager.He gave me a couple of things to watch for,but basicly said it is a sound machine.I have put a couple of hrs. on it and am really liking it.Hope to here from an actual owner sometime though. Eddie

I done some gravel and dirt grading over the summer with the Utilimax and the 72" power angle blade and it worked pretty well.Well we just got a 3" snow and I did some snowplowing.The Utilimax is definitely the best thing I have plowed snow with.It handles the blade very well even being a wet snow.I got some huge blades full of snow and it pushes better than my 430 ever did.It never once got pushed sideways by the snow even with max angle(something that happened all the time with the 430 and a hard angled blade).If i ever get some major snow I can always throw a little more weight in the back if needed.A couple years ago we got a 20"-24" dumping and I struggled with the 430 for 5 hrs to clean my 3/8 mile drive,looks like this should eat it up in a more reasonable time. Eddie

I will try to get some pictures of the mods I have done to the Utilimax (moved bed forward 2",lowered seat,and made wind and chaff guards for the radiator.and some of my lift boom soon.

UPDATE, at 450 hrs. I blew the back out of the swash yoke in the hydralic pump.I had the slip scoop on and in high range doing some pretty hard digging,and it just stopped moving.To maka a long story short I had the pump rebuilt by a top hydraulic shop.They said they have never saw that piece break(maybe a bad casting),anyway we are back 100%.I will in the future shift to low range,even though the hyd.shop told me the hydraulic motors should stall out before damaging the pump.It wasnt a bad fix,and I'm not blaming Steiner or Sauer Danfoss pumps,just giving a update. Eddie