First Oil Change

/ First Oil Change #1  

heliman

Tractor
Ventrac 4231TD & Kubota L47
So I have hit the 25 hour mark on my 4231TD. I am getting ready to do the first oil change and wanted to see if the group had any suggestions/tips/gotchas that would help us newbies out. It looks pretty straight forward but I have learned just because something looks easy doesn't always mean it is.

Thanks for any advice.

/ First Oil Change #2  
Do yourself a favor,when you put the new oil in the engine afterwards....add it very slowly into the valve cover....this particular engine has a flaw,Im not sure of they changed the routing of the breather or not but if you fill the oil too quickly the valve conver will fill with oil and the oil will run down the crankcase vent tube right into the intake to the turbo.When you start it afterwards,it can hydrolock slightly and ever so slightly bend the rod on that cylinder...it will still run,but run a little roiugh,it will eventually throw that rod if you dont get the engine torn down and have it replaced.....if it were mine i think id remove the breather tube until i was done filling it to be safe...a very repuatable dealer told me about this,its only an issue on the 31hp turbo...

/ First Oil Change #3  
Nothing I can think about, I followed the Operators Manual and it was as straightforward as it seemed to me. If you ever done any type of oil change before it really is very simple. I have a different engine and have not heard of what Raw Dodge mentioned, but good thing to look out for if he has run into it!

/ First Oil Change #4  
Ther is one other thing to watch for... If you don't use factory or Ventrac oil filters --- make sure they are no longer (taller) than the 3" max. --- the front lift arm will come up and shear the filter. It will pump out all your oil FAST ! Use a good filter that is not too long and there is no problem.
I have the 4231 Gas Water Cooled (Liquid Cooled) - this is my 2nd one and I LOVE the Ventrac. :thumbsup:

/ First Oil Change #5  
Be thankful you got the 31HP Turbo diesel when you did. I don't think they are available anymore.

/ First Oil Change #6  
Be thankful you got the 31HP Turbo diesel when you did. I don't think they are available anymore.

They are plentiful..its the 31HP gas thats not available anymore....its a shame too,it was the stone reliable powerhouse of the Ventrac line...

/ First Oil Change
Thanks for all the responses. As always I really appreciate everyone's help. Overall it was an easy process and was able to not spill any oil on the driveway :)

/ First Oil Change #8  
The 31 Hp Gas Air Cooled is available - the 4231 Gas Liquid Cooled is not available any longer (EPA). I made that mistake in thinking also. I guess the Liquid cooling keeps the engine (and exhaust) too cool to suit the EPA. It is possible that this is wrong, but it is what my dealer told me just last week.

They are plentiful..its the 31HP gas thats not available anymore....its a shame too,it was the stone reliable powerhouse of the Ventrac line...

/ First Oil Change #9  
Sorry I wasn't specific. I meant the 3lc engine not the v twin air cooled.

/ First Oil Change #10  
I have the 3223d with the Briggs diesel. Great engine.

I changed the oil with Mobil 1 and used the dealer oil filter. In case anyone is interested the following filters work for this engine as well, Wix 51394, Amsoil 51394, Purolator L14476 and Fram PH4967.:)