STEINER 415 leaking axle seals

/ STEINER 415 leaking axle seals #1  

zsqure

Tractor
430MAX, 420, 415 STEINER
Hello all, I have a 415 Steiner and the rear axle seals are leaking. Is this an easy fix? can it be done without dis assembling the complete axle assembly?

/ STEINER 415 leaking axle seals #2  
Unfortunately,you must drop the transaxle assembly out the bottom or you cant get the left and right side axle tubes off.It isnt a hard job,just takes a while to remove rear fender assy,gas tank and get the transaxle loose enough to get the axle tubes off.Basicly you must get transaxle loose and then jack up the tractor to get tubes off.The transaxle assy. is basicly held in tractor by the bolts that hold the axle tubes on. Hope this helps,Eddie

/ STEINER 415 leaking axle seals
Thats just ducky! I have to pull the motor because of a bad coil too. Electrical smelling smoke not a good sign. My 430 has leaking axle tubes also. What a pain.

/ STEINER 415 leaking axle seals #4  
May be a little more easy on the 430 by not having to remove fuel tank and just because it is a little more open.It is still basicly the same as the 415.I have had a 410,415,430 ,4231,428 UM. I have had a broken axle on the 410 and 4231. 415 and 430 were trouble free.Utilimax only has 350 hrs. so far and I love it. Eddie

Before fixing the leaking axles, I need to figure out why the 30A circuit breaker keeps popping off. I have found that the Grey/white wire from the ignition switch gets very hot. I traced it to the b+ side of the voltage rectifier. (the violet wire B+ was discolored from heat at the engine plug). After disconnecting the plug from the rectifier (I think that is what it is called) the engine will turn over without tripping the breaker. I have found that the stator is shorted to ground on one lead. I have yet to test the rectifier, is the stator my whole problem? The engine has spark but will not run, won't even fire if given a whiff of starting fluid, it just pumps it out the exhaust.

Began the process of getting to the motor to replace the stator. These nut serts / Pemserts used on these machines really stink! I realize it makes assembly a breeze but get a few years on them, a little corrosion and they just spin with the bolt. The engine has to come out to tear the front end down, I was hoping it could be done in frame.

/ STEINER 415 leaking axle seals #7  
zsqure, Thank you for taking the time and posting all your experiences with the Steiners that you have been working on. Every little bit helps out some of us either now or in the future when we have to work on ours. I wished I could be of more help to you but I am new to the Steiner family with my 440. My father has owned his 420 for about 17 years now with over 800 hours on it without to many problems with his. Keep up the good work and post as much as you can.

/ STEINER 415 leaking axle seals #8  
We had a dead Short in the stator of the 420s 25 Kohler command 2 yrs ago.. I was a week away from ending the season so I unplugged the regulator in the fan shroud and put it on the 2amp charger after every use. Pulled the engine and replaced it with a used one, no problems since.

Well, my wallet is $370 lighter. New ignition coils, stator, regulator/rectifier, flywheel and assorted hardware for the Kohler ch23 in the Steiner. I'm not even close to getting to the axles yet. Now to round up the correct size taps and tap drills for the broken off fasteners. Figured I might as well replace everything while it is apart. 10 years old (only 460 hours) and no money spent on it for anything major is OK by me.

/ STEINER 415 leaking axle seals #10  
Glad you are up and running again... Seems like your parts list seems a bit long... Wondering why you needed coils... The flywheels are known to loose a magnet, and the stators occasionally short out...although it's not likely a running engine needed a flywheel or coil... I guess I'm cheap, I picked up a used CV 20 engine that had water get in a cylinder and rust it. The stator was same pn as the CH 25,I had 10 dollars in the repairs and cost me 2.5-3 hrs of my time. That engine now has well over 4000hrs...still runs like new.. I've done head gaskets once on both sides and a second time in one side after a valve cover leak caused that cylinder to run hot.