STEINER 440

/ STEINER 440
the 902 engine that steiner is using is the same engine that ventrac will have in there tractor coming in september! the 1105 engine does not meet emissions!

I really wonder why these engine manufacturers cant get these engines to pass emissions.With the technology we have now on over the road equipment,such as catalytic converters,catalyst injection systems,and the advances in the fuel itself.It really is a shame Steiner and Ventrac have to choose a powerplant that may not be the best application,but is the only thing available.

/ STEINER 440 #33  
yes that is correct in the gas version and that is the same engines that Steiner is using. they are both using the same Kubota engines in diesel and gas!!!!

/ STEINER 440 #34  
Thanks to Teir 4 emissions regulations I highly doubt we are going to see over 25 horsepower in 1 of these things anytime soon... A Ventrac owner/operator with the 84 inch deck and duals is not going to be happy with only 25 horsepower... However I believe the engine is going to perform better in the Ventrac than in a 440 Steiner due to parasitic losses being lower in the Ventrac.. I would still rather have a 25 Kubota than 21 in the current 430 Steiner.. Or worse yet.. the Briggs/Boat Anchor 31 turbo diesel... At least we would get 7
-10yrs out of the Kubota... As opposed to 3-4 if that out of the 31 TD.

/ STEINER 440 #35  
THE 3CYL KUBOTA GAS RUNS LIKE A SCALDED DOG IN BOTH MACHINES!! it's not really that bad on gas

/ STEINER 440 #36  
yes that is correct in the gas version and that is the same engines that Steiner is using. they are both using the same Kubota engines in diesel and gas!!!!

Last edited:
   / STEINER 440 #38  
we sell Ventrac and Steiner. i have seen the video

Although using the same base engine (WG972-GL) the engine Ventrac is getting from Kubota comes equipped with some extras making it able to easily hook up to the Propane kit as an option. Don't believe Steiner has that option unless I missed that a long the line? Not that propane matters to everybody, but it is a nice option for many.

People keep trying to compare the two based on specs and what is down on paper. Specs are nice and all but they need to translate into real world results. I think you really need to get on them both to really tell the difference in attention to detail and craftsmanship that is put into one over the other.

/ STEINER 440 #40  
I just bought the 440 Steiner with the 25 diesel and 60" deck on it. It mows my 20-25 degree slopes without any problems. I only took a couple of runs up and down them last night in both high and low range and it does it in forward and reverse while mowing, but low is definitely the one to use.